Steam/sauna time= peace/relax

On any cruise I take, after working-out, I enjoy taking a sauna &, particularly, using the steam room. Since I don't have such facilities at my gym back home this is something I especially look forward to on a cruise.

Some time away from the rest of the family/friends to jump in & out of the heat, cooling-off in the adjacent showers, then getting back in. Usually find some great conversation & company.

I've noticed a lot of guys use the locker rooms to get ready/showering before dinner, in order to save time & avoid bumping into their spouse while they're also getting ready, :D

I can spend hours just relaxing, detoxing....whatever. Great way to release. Any other guys enjoy the steam-time as well.

Hi "Jules",

Not all of the RCI ships have them, but I believe you're sailing on the Mariner soon and she DOES have them. One sauna & one steam room and a bunch of semi-private shower stalls, in each of the locker rooms: one set for men, one set for women. Since they are in the locker rooms, they are clothing-optional. Liquid bath soap, shampoo & conditioner and towels are provided. Just request a locker key at the spa desk and they'll direct you accordingly.

Bon voyage!! :D

Not a guy......But I also love relaxing in the steam sauna. Have also struck up many good conversations there. The larger showers are also nice for leg shaving, for us girls!

Hmmm. Steam baths, huh? Well, much as I do love the leisurely detox after a work out, and have used them many times in the past, I've developed a new personal well-being philosophy in recent years. I NEVER use steam baths, even at my own gym. Just seems to me that it's a rather perfect environment for all those microbes and viruses to grow exponentially - hot, moist, lots of wondeful salty surfaces to adhere to. You just never know what gets sneezed, or breathed, out in those little microbe paradises. Sorry to be a bummer.

Yes, I know the steam rooms are cleaned regularly, but the only two colds I've had in the last 10 years occurred after using steam baths.

Now Saunas are a heat of a different color. Hotter and dryer than the steam rooms, and much less tolerant of mischeivious little bugs.

I've heard conflicting information about the Sovereign since her renovation. Some folks said she had her sauna/steam removed, still others said she has only a sauna...??? Same for the Monarch. And since these three vessels (SS, MN & MJ) are all "sisters", it seemed odd to me that RCI would execute such variations when the ships were renovated.

So, my apologies, but not sure what the sauna/steam set-up on the Sovereign is and it's very challenging to get accurate info from RCI Customer Service agents (I guess they're not allowed to call Hotel Operations?).

Definitely love the time in the steam room. What a great place to relax and visit. I particularly liked the steam room on Infinity with it's windows that look out over the water.

Looking forward to trying out the steam room and sauna on Mariner in a couple of months. As you stated earlier, the dressing room is a great place, especially on formal night, to get ready for dinner and stay out of the way of the others in your room getting dressed.

Hi SpursFan,

Just to clarify...the room in the locker room with the window overlooking the ocean on the Infinity is a dry sauna, not a steam room. I guess some folks also call them a dry sauna vs. a wet sauna (a.k.a steam room). That sauna view is awesome, I agree, but I wish they would've included a steam room in the locker room, instead of obligating guests to pay to use the co-ed steam rooms in the Persian Gardens (or whatever it's called). Prefer not to use co-ed rooms, myself.

As to the other earlier post about microbes & such....I've never found there to be a problem, but I keep my towel under me at all times and shower often. However, I DO NOT appreciate when dumb*sses come into the steam or sauna wearing their sneakers....*****?!? That is not hygienic!

But on the note of hygiene & disease transmission, my personal opinion is that the POOLS are the 2nd most likely place (after handrails and elevator buttons & such) to catch something onboard. This may be one reason why the RCI is changing/has changed their ships from sea water to chlorinated freshwater for their pools..to try & prevent some of the disease transmission.

Does anyone know if Sovereign has a steamroom or sauna???

No :(, we were pretty bummed because we enjoyed it on the Mariner.

By the way Jules, when you first walk in there's stairs, go up there and ask for the locker key. You give them your seapass as collateral (no charge). :)

Maybe you're ready for your next cruise, Spurs! ;)

Can't believe I'm racking-up all these trips...I have the Majesty in 48 days, Serenade (Alaska) in June '08 and, as of two minutes ago, Liberty (W. Caribb.) in December '08! ***** am I doin?! LOL

I guess I have some time to "trickle-pay" them down; LOL!

Hi SpursFan,

Just to clarify...the room in the locker room with the window overlooking the ocean on the Infinity is a dry sauna, not a steam room. I guess some folks also call them a dry sauna vs. a wet sauna (a.k.a steam room). That sauna view is awesome, I agree, but I wish they would've included a steam room in the locker room, instead of obligating guests to pay to use the co-ed steam rooms in the Persian Gardens (or whatever it's called). Prefer not to use co-ed rooms, myself.

As to the other earlier post about microbes & such....I've never found there to be a problem, but I keep my towel under me at all times and shower often. However, I DO NOT appreciate when dumb*sses come into the steam or sauna wearing their sneakers....*****?!? That is not hygienic!

But on the note of hygiene & disease transmission, my personal opinion is that the POOLS are the 2nd most likely place (after handrails and elevator buttons & such) to catch something onboard. This may be one reason why the RCI is changing/has changed their ships from sea water to chlorinated freshwater for their pools..to try & prevent some of the disease transmission.

1)where did you find out about RCI changing the pools to fresh water?

2)why is wearing sneakers or flip flops not hygienic?

just curious??:confused:

On any cruise I take, after working-out, I enjoy taking a sauna &, particularly, using the steam room. Since I don't have such facilities at my gym back home this is something I especially look forward to on a cruise.

Some time away from the rest of the family/friends to jump in & out of the heat, cooling-off in the adjacent showers, then getting back in. Usually find some great conversation & company.

I've noticed a lot of guys use the locker rooms to get ready/showering before dinner, in order to save time & avoid bumping into their spouse while they're also getting ready, :D

I can spend hours just relaxing, detoxing....whatever. Great way to release. Any other guys enjoy the steam-time as well.

You certainly don't get a lot of peace in the steam rooms onboard ship there always seems to be somebody who just has to tell you their life history. The last thing I want.

Hey "A-Tiger",

Flip-flops or sandals that can get wet are fine, actually. In fact, I think it's recommended, as to avoid germs that might be on the floor. I wear mine and shower in them too while I'm "steaming".

Sneakers, on the other hand, track-in dirt and germs from outside (especially if one was in the restroom just prior, for example). Sneakers in a sauna/steam is just bad spa "etiquette", lol.

Some folks actually prefer not to wear any footwear and having a dirtier floor due to sneakers is kinda frowned-upon by people who visit spas for more frequently. I guess some might think it's a bit "snooty", but you can't deny the hygiene benefits of NOT wearing sneakers into a steam room.

Hi Elaine,

I agree whole-heartedly agree with you about the occasional person who eagerly devulges their life-story and minute-by-minute acount of their trip up to that point. But I try to steer the conversation or amount of conversation by my reaction (or lack thereof ;o) and, most of the time, it works. If all else fells, I excuse myself to the other "hot" room or step-out for a bit for a cool-off in the shower, LOL.

Bon voyage,

Giggle

As to the earlier question about the freshwater vs saltwater pools... there have been several threads about the topic within the RCI room. I'm not clear and which ships/which pools are impacted, but there has been some info about it.

I prefer to cool-off in the showers, in between steam sessions; LOL.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We learnt (after 2nd cruise) that the sauna/steam room weren't just for spa guests!!

Happy happy joy joy.

We were told by spa staff that they were only for patrons of the spa to use before/after treatments!!!

Lucky for us and thanks to these boards the last cruise we did Vision Mexican Riviera we spent many a sea day transiting from steam to shower to sauna to shower to jacuzzi to lounge - oh the bliss!!! LOL.

We did as previously mentioned simply asked for a locker key and traded the seapass card for a couple of hours.

Looking forward to some time out on Rhapsody later this year!!

Shaun

Archived