Skagway Rail Tours

mkd1

add another one:

self-guided Skagway-SUMMIT-Emerald Lake Drive by getting a rental car from Avis. Easy drive and very scenic view. You get the freedom to stop and go wherever and whenever you want. Cost <$100 for the whole group (5 people).

If you want the most time on the train, then the rail/bus excursion to Carcross - with lunch stop in Lake Bennett.

If you want to maximize your scenery, this is also the best choice. The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake is beautiful (we did it 3 years ago), but it's the same road up and back. If you take the train to Carcross, you'll be seeing the scenery from both sides of the canyon -- one way train, one way bus -- as well as the scenery as you go to Bennett, which is inaccessible by car. The drive runs close to the rails for a stretch just outside of Fraser, but other than that, it isn't exactly the same route.

If you want the most scenery, take this train ride (which I think is also the most expensive train ride). If you're more concerned with money, rent a car and do the driving yourself.

We are also booked on the Skagway to Carcross bus/rail excursion. We booked with Chilkoot Tours at a cost of $219 per person. They also have shorter bus/rail combinations for $165 and $109. We did a lot of research and decided to take the longest trip because of the variety of scenery. The post from NancyIL above has the web address. Nancy, we'll be there probably a couple days ahead of you (June 6).

We are also booked on the Skagway to Carcross bus/rail excursion. We booked with Chilkoot Tours at a cost of $219 per person. They also have shorter bus/rail combinations for $165 and $109. We did a lot of research and decided to take the longest trip because of the variety of scenery. The post from NancyIL above has the web address. Nancy, we'll be there probably a couple days ahead of you (June 6).

You're right - we'll be in Skagway June 8th. :) I originally booked the 3.5-hour rail/bus excursion to Fraser, BC ($109) in November. I changed to the 9-hour one to Carcross at the end of March. Ours is the only big ship in port that day, so I'm lucky there was still availability for either Chilkoot rail/bus excursion to the Yukon.

The first train to Carcross is scheduled for May 23rd, and Yukon (Murray) said he and his wife would be on it. I'll be looking forward to your report, Murray!

Here's a question for anyone who knows. Are the ship's trains totally separate from the Chilcoot trains, or is it just a matter of where you board? I'm a little bit confused :confused: . We booked through the ship, not realizing there was another option, and given the length of the tour, I'd just as soon book this one through the ship. If, however, the Chilcoot train is the very same train, it seems silly to pay the additional premium to book through the ship.

Here's a question for anyone who knows. Are the ship's trains totally separate from the Chilcoot trains, or is it just a matter of where you board? I'm a little bit confused :confused: . We booked through the ship, not realizing there was another option, and given the length of the tour, I'd just as soon book this one through the ship. If, however, the Chilcoot train is the very same train, it seems silly to pay the additional premium to book through the ship.

You are not supposed to board the dockside train that is for cruise passengers if you book through Chilkoot. To that extent, it's not the same train. Chilkoot takes you to the depot where you board a different train. But it is different only in the place you board. Everything else about the train ride is the same. You are paying the premium for the dockside boarding if you book through the cruiseline. I've done it dockside before, and frankly, it's not worth the premium to me because the depot is so close to the cruise dock.

Just making sure I have this straight. Since we did book through the ship, we'll board dockside (NCL, in our case), and that train then meets up with the trains that you can book through Chilcoot so that everyone ends on the same train. Right??

I don't think I'm bothering to switch at this point in time, it's mainly for future reference in case we decide to go again. We in Skagway on May 23rd, so I guess we're on the first train that will be going to Carcross. I can't wait!

I don't see the train to Carcross as an excursion option on NCL's web site. What price is NCL charging, and does the bus go to Emerald Lake on the return?

I don't know where people who book this excursion through their ship board the train. I know that we will be picked up outside the security gate for our excursion with Chilkoot. My confirmation specifically says, "DO NOT attempt to board the train at the dock as its destination is different than yours."

**Just checked the WP&YR schedule: http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html The train to Carcross departs at 7:45 a.m., and the first White Pass Summit train departs at 8:15 a.m.

I should clarify myself. When I said, the train ride is the same, I did not necessarily mean that people who board at the depot will be on the exact same train as the people who board dockside. No, there will be multiple trains going up to the summit, and beyond. When you actually go up on the day you will take the train, you may see a train ahead of you, and a train behind you, all climbing on the same track up to the summit. There will be multiple train sets operating at the same time, but not all go to the same place (round-trip to the summit, to Fraser, to Carcross). But as far as your "experience" up to the summit is concerned, it's exactly the same no matter where you board. That is what I tried to say. I am sorry if I have confused you.

NCL is calling this excursion Trail Of '98 & Yukon Wilderness Explorer. Here's the description: Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, this narrow gauge railroad is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites, from the comfort of vintage parlor cars. Only accessible by train, Bennett, British Columbia, is a historical location nestled next to Lake Bennett. Gold prospectors would pack their supplies over the Coast Mountains from the ports and then build or purchase rafts to take them down the Yukon River to the gold fields around Dawson City. Step back in time on a guided walking tour and relive the Gold Rush days. Complete the experience with a prospector's meal - Gold Miner's Stew, Nugget Baked Beans, Sourdough Bread, and Apple Pie Chilkoot with Canadian Cheddar Cheese. Come discover your personal gold rush with the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway.

They're charging $235 :eek: , but with it taking up almost the entire port time, it was one of those that I felt safer booking through the ship. It doesn't say if they're stopping at Emerald Lake afterwards or not. My understanding is that it's the first season this tour has been offered, so we'll just have to see what happens. That's not critical to me, as we've done the drive to Emerald Lake before, and I don't think the ice will be off when we're there anyway.

The lady from Chilkoot also told me that the bus driver (who will later drive us down from the summit) will pick us up at the docks and drive us the short distance to the train depot, and we can "get to know him a little and be able to recognize the bus later" during that quick ride...

I believe that we will be on a White Pass Railway train, just not the same one (but identical) as Princess uses, since the Princess excursions leave at different times. My understanding is that there are many different trains, and the cruise lines books some times, other groups book other times, but the experience is all the same.

They're charging $235 :eek:

Yes, that would be serious money to me too. (sigh) But for what you are getting, $235 is not an outrageous rate if compared with other similar tours. I think Princess offers something close to what you have described and charges something like $260 or 270. Now that's :eek: :eek: :eek: .

If you want the most time on the train, then the rail/bus excursion to Carcross - with lunch stop in Lake Bennett. We're going to do that through Chilkoot Charters next month: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/carcross.htm

Haven't been on it yet as it runs for the first time this year, but I want to second Nancy's suggestion. We too will be taking this in a few weeks. If you are going next year, keep an eye out for reviews. We'll make sure to include this part.

Yes, that would be serious money to me too. (sigh) But for what you are getting, $235 is not an outrageous rate if compared with other similar tours. I think Princess offers something close to what you have described and charges something like $260 or 270. Now that's :eek: :eek: :eek: .

The excursion is $219 through Chilkoot Charters, so NCL's price is quite good.

You are not supposed to board the dockside train that is for cruise passengers if you book through Chilkoot. To that extent, it's not the same train. Chilkoot takes you to the depot where you board a different train. But it is different only in the place you board. Everything else about the train ride is the same. You are paying the premium for the dockside boarding if you book through the cruiseline. I've done it dockside before, and frankly, it's not worth the premium to me because the depot is so close to the cruise dock.

As locals, my brother and I booked our White Pass Railroad excursion independently vs. the extra $17.00 per person charged by the cruise line. We boarded at the depot in Skagway and then backed up to add cars in front of an cruise ship.

In effect, the cruise passengers had designated cars but they got the same train.

Archived