Request from HAL to Downgrade My Cabin

macky2

Have you ever been asked by HAL to downgrade your cabin?

My TA left me a voice mail yesterday informing me that HAL called and asked me to downgrade my SZ guarantee cabin to a VA cabin. They offered me a $150.00 refund to make this change. The cruise is next week (May 9), three days from Los Angeles to Vancouver on the Noordam. I declined, but am a little concerned that this cruise may be overbooked, at least in the suite categories.

I still don't have my room assignment. Hopefully I won't get another call from HAL via my TA telling me they can't accomodate the SZ guarantee.

You are definitely in your rights to say NO WAY. A few years ago when we were doing a Canada/New England Cruise on the Maasdam we were beeoked in a Verandah category and were hoping to be upgraded to a S Suite since that was what we had started to prefer. We were asked if we would cancel our cruise because they needed our cabin and they gave us options for 3 different cruises all were for Outside cabins. In all honestly I was shocked, never had we booked that category with HAL plus the cruises they offered us were less expensive cruises. My TA had answered for us and told us later about what was offered.

As for your situation if you were willing to step down I would tell them that you would do it for something like $350.00 per person. In all honestly the difference in cabins is pretty drastic because of the size. It is not like they are asking you to drop down from a VA to a VH which is really still the same cabin just different location.They are asking you to take a smaller cabin.

I have never heard of a request for a guest to downgrade. Wow......that's a new one. Certainly I understand the reason and the logic but funny how this is the first time I've read it. (PLEASE do not misunderstand that to mean I am doubting you, I DO NOT Doubt.) By all means decline if that is what you want. They will continue making offers to others until they make the offer good enough that someone agrees to their request.

You'll have at least the minimum in the category cabin you booked. Don't worry about that.

They may come back to you with a better offer and you will decide if you wish to agree to it.

Have a great time.

Thanks for sharing......it's always interesting to hear something new here. :)

You are definitely in your rights to say NO WAY. A few years ago when we were doing a Canada/New England Cruise on the Maasdam we were beeoked in a Verandah category

Please excuse by stupid spelling errors, I am only trying to work and post on CC at the same time:o Obviously I meant booked.

Is this a repo cruise of three days or is it a 7 or 10 day cruise & you are only taking the three day portion between LAX-YVR?

Looks to me like they have a passenger who needs a SZ for the entire cruise...

Don't know what the $$ difference is for three days for a VA as opposed to a SZ, so can't comment on the offer..Have never heard of someone being asked to downgrade, but we never book guarantees..

That's an odd one. I'd say no way, not for $150pp. People who book a suite generally do so because they want the amenties/space of an extra suite. It'd be like asking someone in a verandah if they wouldn't mind moving to an outisde cabin...

Thank you for the replies.

I booked a three day cruise from LAX to YVR. I have read postings on this board that lead me to believe this three day segment is the last portion of a cruise that started in New York and picked up additional passengers in Florida before traveling through the Panama Canal and up the Mexico coast to Los Angeles. Ever since I learned that the Noordam would be arriving in Los Angeles full of passengers who would be continuing on to YVR I have been concerned about this booking.

I am traveling solo so I think that may be one reason I was chosen to ask about moving to a VA cabin. It would be cheaper for HAL to pay one person to move rather than two or more.

At this point I haven't been contacted again except to be notified that the cruise is leaving from Long Beach rather than San Pedro. Apparently some cruise documents listed the incorrect departure pier (mine was correct).

I will let you know what category of cabin I end up with if I get my cabin assignment before I leave on Wednesday.

Thanks again for you replies.

If I am understanding correctly, we're talking about a three day cruise???

How much would one expect as compensation to agree to a downgrade?

Of course, I would imagine that would vary by category of cabin one was occupying but how much is enough?

How much would you pay to be upgraded? Is it the same amount you would expect to be paid to downgrade?

Macky, the ball is in your court! Sounds to me like whatever you want, goes. If HAL wants you to downgrade, you have the power to make a deal with them that is acceptable to you! Good luck to you!

I'm sorry they have asked you to downgrade. But at the same time I can see why they have asked you. They probably have a couple that has booked that catagory for the full length of the cruise and now they need somwhere for you to go. Since there is only one of you and you are only on it for 3 days they have asked you to downgrade. It's really not the end of the world. At least you get to get on the ship. Besides why would you need that much space if your one person?

You are sitting in the prize position. It is a matter of negotiation. Obviously, HAL needs the SZ cabin. That is a junior suite, not a full suite, so the downgrade to a verandah is not that drastic. They are the ones under the gun. They simply have to keep making offers until somebody accepts them. It is like you are in a reverse auction! You have to work out what it is worth to you. If HAL offers that much, grab it! If they don't, then you know somebody sold out for less than you would! Either way, you should be happy! You either get the cabin you want, or the compensation you want, good deal either way. If you ask for the difference in cash, plus a discount on a future cruise, they might be more generous with that, too ... worth a try! Have fun haggling, and have a GREAT cruise!

Update: I checked the HAL website again today and I have been assigned an SS cabin on the deck below the Lido deck (? Navigation). :)

All's well that ends well.

Thanks again for all your good wishes and suggestions.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.

We were recently offered an upgrade from SZ GTY to SA/SB for only 199 each for 7 nights and jumped on it. I know the cruise was sold out and am thrilled they made this offer in order to accomodate someone else.

IMO, the $150 offer for three days only would have appealed to me as a solo traveller as having the extra space for such a short cruise would not have been an issue and also since the SZ and SS categories do not get full privileges.

Have a great criuse!

Have you ever been asked by HAL to downgrade your cabin?

My TA left me a voice mail yesterday informing me that HAL called and asked me to downgrade my SZ guarantee cabin to a VA cabin. They offered me a $150.00 refund to make this change. The cruise is next week (May 9), three days from Los Angeles to Vancouver on the Noordam. I declined, but am a little concerned that this cruise may be overbooked, at least in the suite categories.

I still don't have my room assignment. Hopefully I won't get another call from HAL via my TA telling me they can't accomodate the SZ guarantee.

they probably have a large group of people that want many rooms so they are going for the people with the single cabins etc. They will find someone to do it.

Archived