Captain's Welcome Aboard Party.....

sail7seas

We actually enjoy going, not just for the Champagne or drinks. We call it part of the "Whole Cruise Experience" I can remember on the Zuirderdam in April 2003 the poor Captain looked like he was having a terrible time and was forcing a smile. Yet, Capt. Mercer on the Oosterdam was truly enjoying himself, you just knew he loved this part of his job. I enjoy seeing everyone dressed up and getting to identify some of the Management staff.

We didn't go this time. :( I was the only one interested in going - not to meet the Captain or the crew but I love meeting the other passengers.

BTW I noticed on this past Noordam cruise Captain Scott's name tag listed his title as Master.

I have never gone to one of these parties. To me, it makes as much sense to me as meeting your bus driver for drink! They both may be nice guys, but who cares?

Heck, as long as the bus driver is buying......

:)

Went on our first cruise and never again. You are not really 'meeting' the Captain. The Capt. and you are having a photo op together.

Lisa, I seriously doubt Capt. Mercer was truly enjoying himself at the Welcome Party. He's a friendly guy and we met him on several occasions and like him a lot, but shaking hands and smiling at 1800 people for a photo op once a week is part of his job, a part he does well. :rolleyes:

I go. Yes, I will enjoy the drink but you can also find out how many Canadians, Brits, ect are on board. And how many kids. It's also a good time to see what certain people look like.

Not sure I understand this - nationaities are not segregated - are they?

We sometimes attend but skip the picture taking - buying the picture costs more than the drinks are worth!

Peaches

I know meeting, greeting and shaking hands is a pain but Capt Mercer really looked like he was enjoying it on our cruise or he has mastered the art of looking really pleased when he is not. My husband and I got to personally talk with him for about 30 minutes (ROV ceremony) as we travel to the UK quite often and my husband has some interests that Capt Mercer did also. He is a remarkable man in our opinion and spent "quality" time when I am sure he had other things to do. What impressed us mostly is the way he handled the fire emergency on board making all aware but no panic in his handling of his crew and the situation. HAL got a good one when they hired him!

Tami

I go. Yes, I will enjoy the drink but you can also find out how many Canadians, Brits, ect are on board. And how many kids. It's also a good time to see what certain people look like.

I wondered about your comment also - what did you mean that you find out how many Canadians, Brits, etc. are on board? I've never found this out at a Captain's Reception party or any other function on board. :confused:

By the way, I have been trying to figure out what the MB stands for in your location "MB, Canada"? Is that Manitoba?

Haven`t been to one in years...don`t like lines at the best of times, we are usually in the Ocean bar watching everyone go down for it. The champagne is not to my liking, or the wine and I have heard they are quitting giving out the call drinks.....jean

We didn't go this time. :( I was the only one interested in going - not to meet the Captain or the crew but I love meeting the other passengers.

BTW I noticed on this past Noordam cruise Captain Scott's name tag listed his title as Master.

Captain is a rank that more than one person on the ship may have attained and they are qualified to be in charge of a ship.

The Master is the person who is in charge of the ship.

We go maybe half the time. It's mainly a mix and mingle for us ... a chance to scope out our fellow passengers. It's interesting how readily you can tell which captains are "people" people and which are not. I've seen some who just looked like that was the last place in the world they wanted to be. I can understand that. As long as they're good at piloting a ship, I don't care if they're charismatic or not. But it is neat to meet one who is.

Tami-

Don't get me wrong. I think Capt. Mercer is terrific. We have spent time with him also and he is the friendliest, most personable, officer we have met. I just find it hard to believe shaking hands and having your picture taken with 1800 people a week year round is all that pleasurable and not a duty they would like to pass off some weeks.

Now does Capt. Mercer enjoy a real conversation with pax- yes, that I believe he does, but that is not what happens on the Welcome Party line which is what this thread and the comments are about. :D

Archived