Cancelled M & M

Just came back from a great cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, 4-29-07. There were a few issues that were bumps in the road not show stoppers. The biggest is the cancellation of our Meet and Mingle. We had a confirmation for 30 May at 5 pm. Our M&M had over the required amount and almost double. Everyone asked me what was going on. I told them to show at the allotted time and place. About 25 of us did. We asked the bartender what was up and he told us it was cancelled. This was confirmed by the Concierge (who does NOT read Cruise Critic, too busy!!) and guest relations. This is from a group that posted almost 1400 times prior to the cruise.

Inspite of this we had a great time and ran into many of our CC members through out the cruise.

Any other Meet and Mingles "cancelled because of too few signed up"?

No Pillow menu or other new ammenities for suites on the AoS.

MR. Planner:cool:

I can't really speak to the M&M cancellation issue. I'm sorry to hear that, though. I'm sure it was a disappointment. We'll be sailing AOS (first time) in a few months and I wondered what the other "issues" were that you referred to, if you didn't mind sharing.

Never had a Meet and Mingle cancelled, but I guess it can and certainly did happen...........hope you guys went ahead and had your own party!

Please, speak your piece so we others can learn from it. Never heard of an M&M being cancelled. We have been to many M&M's. As anything, some are better then other's. They are a lotta fun, but missin' one will not ruin your cruise. Must have been a serious problem in scheduling to do that. Hope no crew member was sick or injured to cause this. Glad to hear your cruise was fine otherwise.

Rick and Deirdra

Rosie40,

The issues were minor. Some were non-issues created by anticipation and rumors read on CC. Some can be prevented by planning ahead. Check your Sailpass account every day on the room TV. Click menu on the remote and it will prompt you to the account info. The Spa charged us for a massage that we did not receive nor ask for. Guest services cleared that up for us. We got married in Antigua and our new friends made on CC invited us to Portofinos for dinner. They checked in at 1:30PM and the earliest reservation they could get was for 9:00PM on Saturday. The last night of the cruise. I stayed in a suite and used the concierge to get us a seating for Friday at 7:00 PM. I did not ask for an earlier seating but could probably have gotten one. Not a problem until we get to the restaurant and find atleast 3 tables occupied by crew members.

We did not have a bottle of champagne delivered for the sail away at San Juan. The order was made through the concierge and she did give us a bottle of champagne, free, that we used on the wedding day.

They did not charge our seapass account for the gratuities so we had to chase our stateroom attendant and dining service staff down and pay them in cash. They were all great and deserved the extra we gave them. No complaints there. Our guests for dinner one night were impressed by their service. Mustafa and Louis (waiter and asst. waiter)

This may sound truly minor but if you pay for a Suite you pay for additional services. Did not have robes until a couple days into the cruise and did not get slippers at all until we were departing. Our stateroom attendant gave us two pairs to take home.

The only issue that caused disappointment was the cancellation of the M&M. After communicating for so long with the posters I was looking forward to seeing them. Many did go to the Blue Moon lounge at 5PM and we had a great time. Those of us that had early dining had to leave early while the party continued. I just wish the rest of the group had shown up. They were waiting for Official invitiations.

Rosie40, enjoy the cruise. It is a great ship with a fantastic staff. You will have a wonderful time no matter what itinerary you are on. I only wish I was back on her now.

Mr. Planner:cool:

all i can think of to say is if your roll call is active - make plans before you leave to meet up certain time and place to get those interested in meeting together- that way you at least know some of those participating in the roll call know where to go just in case and there is always that next cruise you are going on or the next one...

hope your future m and m's go well and you are able to meet all that visited on your roll call - can be a hard thing to do even if the m and m isn't cancelled......

I guess we were the tall couple. We too ran into another couple that were getting married in Antigua at the docks on the way back to the ship. Did your bride have her hair done at the salon on the ship? It seems to be the standard style to combat the ravages of Sun, Wind, and Humidity. The former Ms. Spontanious had the same hair style. We had a laugh about that. Did you go into the market with the wedding gown on? We almost caused a riot. Too funny.

Rick

Too bad your M&M got cancelled after all your planning, how disappointing.

The one I went to they raffled off little gifts: an 'aqua mouse' I think and some lanyards and the big item was dinner for 2 at Portofino's. I didn't win but I wasn't too disappointed because I am Ms. Idontwin and I am married to Mr. Neverwins so we didn't get our hopes up.

You had over 25 folks before the sailing so the list showed when & where. Why Adventure seems to love to have M&M on formal night at 5 PM. Many don't show because of that. We had no invites til the night of the M&M so we didn't go since we had no invite til well after it. We showed it to many we knew. I would have thought they'd get it right by now with all the complaints.

At least you didn't come home with pneumonia as we did from 4/16 TA (MIA-BCN). Over a week home & husband still is sick, I am feeling better but want him well. He has an infection but they cannot locate the cause.

Grr, I'd be darn irritated by a cancelled Meet & Mingle. I know it's a small thing, but some of my best friends were met on these boards. I'd e-mail Laura. Not a long complaining thing, just a quick note to let her know.

Rosie40,

The issues were minor. Some were non-issues created by anticipation and rumors read on CC. Some can be prevented by planning ahead. Check your Sailpass account every day on the room TV. Click menu on the remote and it will prompt you to the account info. The Spa charged us for a massage that we did not receive nor ask for. Guest services cleared that up for us. We got married in Antigua and our new friends made on CC invited us to Portofinos for dinner. They checked in at 1:30PM and the earliest reservation they could get was for 9:00PM on Saturday. The last night of the cruise. I stayed in a suite and used the concierge to get us a seating for Friday at 7:00 PM. I did not ask for an earlier seating but could probably have gotten one. Not a problem until we get to the restaurant and find atleast 3 tables occupied by crew members.

We did not have a bottle of champagne delivered for the sail away at San Juan. The order was made through the concierge and she did give us a bottle of champagne, free, that we used on the wedding day.

They did not charge our seapass account for the gratuities so we had to chase our stateroom attendant and dining service staff down and pay them in cash. They were all great and deserved the extra we gave them. No complaints there. Our guests for dinner one night were impressed by their service. Mustafa and Louis (waiter and asst. waiter)

This may sound truly minor but if you pay for a Suite you pay for additional services. Did not have robes until a couple days into the cruise and did not get slippers at all until we were departing. Our stateroom attendant gave us two pairs to take home.

The only issue that caused disappointment was the cancellation of the M&M. After communicating for so long with the posters I was looking forward to seeing them. Many did go to the Blue Moon lounge at 5PM and we had a great time. Those of us that had early dining had to leave early while the party continued. I just wish the rest of the group had shown up. They were waiting for Official invitiations.

Rosie40, enjoy the cruise. It is a great ship with a fantastic staff. You will have a wonderful time no matter what itinerary you are on. I only wish I was back on her now.

Mr. Planner:cool:

First, Congratulations on your marriage!:) What a beautiful place to say your vows. I hope to make it to Antigua in the future. We went with the Aruba itin. for the extra sea day. Love those sea days!!

I'm sorry your M&M didn't come come together. Did they offer any explanation as to why?? You certainly deserve the right to be a bit frustrated with the lack of service and amenities associated with your suite, as well. Particularly since it was your wedding trip! I'm sure you wanted things to be a close to perfect as they could be for your new bride. It's great that you've taken it all in stride.

Thanks for sharing :)

wow... board at 1:30pm and portofinos is booked until 9pm on LAST day of the cruise? now i know where h'm running when i board EOS in 12 days (yay!)... Portofinos! :D

are those reservations booked by those boarded before you or you think they're taken by concierge pre-booking for suites/diamond/etc?? :(

Hey Rick, we saw you two on your wedding day you looked great. I hope Tami was able to get her quarters. As to the M&M, we were also told by guest relations that it was cancelled, we were going to try and get to it. Our thoughts were that RCI was afraid that there may have been a confrontation at the M&M, and therefore cancelled it. Just our thoughts!!

"Not enough people signed up for the meet and mingle". When the concierge told me that I asked her if she read Cruisecritic.com. That is when she said she did not and was too busy to do so. Excuse me, but you would think this is a great opportunity for her to answer questions about HER ship. She might be able to provide some insight as to what to expect or may be required of the passengers. New acts. Things to do at the ports, etc. By the way there is a link to CC on the ships computers in the internet cafe.

I will be the first to admit that a lot of the 1400 posts are mine and a couple others but there were more than 25 that joined in the conversations. We had over a dozen room numbers alone. Something does sound out of place.

Magicat, thank you for the compliment. Too bad you could not make it to the informal meet and mingle that we had at the Blue Moon at 5pm on 30 April (time and place for the "confirmed"/cancelled M&M) The wedding was great. We loved the beach at the resort. Would love to come back some day to spend a couple days or longer to enjoy the water, sand, and sun. I felt a little over dressed in a black tux on a beautiful white sand beach. Tami was on cloud nine all day long. The market was a hoot after the wedding. Almost caused a riot. I wish I had taken pictures of the crowd of shop ladies gathered around Tami.

We ran into Tracy and Big John (about the same size as me) and a couple of other cc members (I am so bad with names) the night of the sail away and some guy who claimed his cc name was "savethetatas" gave us a handfull of the pink ribbon Canadian quarters. Don't know who he was. He just gave them to us and left. I think it was the infamous where2next. We hung out with Daycareprovider (Angela and DH John) and Karla (whose CC name I don't recall right now) Had a great time and did not want it to end.

Rick

last year on the Serenade. It was cancelled even though it was listed in the Cruise Compass, on Royal Caribbean website and we all received email confirmations. We were told that the Miami office said it was cancelled due to lack of interest. Meanwhile we had over 30 signed up. They did organize another one a few days later. We had arranged our own for the first day so we basically knew most of the people.

Hey Rick,

Have to fess up now, it was not where2next who gave the quarters, it was the other half of Magicat who gave Angela the quarters, we were planning on meeting at the M&M so never stopped to chat that night and thought we would see you about the ship to talk, only saw you from the balcony in Antigua!! Not enough sea days at all.

Tracey & Mike

I hope you wrote about the called off M&M and the other issues on the survey at the end of the cruise. I'm sure if we all looked back at your roll call and almost every other roll call you would see the countdown of 25 to qualify for a M&M. It doesn't even begin to happen unless 25 sign up for it. Robin

You keep mentioning the CC thread and number of posts, and people on that thread. But that does not matter... you need to get 25 people to sign up on the link https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do. Our cruise next week has a good CC group, (not 25) but what controls the face RCCL isn't planning a M&M is that we have 17 signed up at that site. Keep track of the number at that site and if it's not 25 make sure the people on your CC thread sign up.

Glad you had a great cruise and got to meet your fellow posters anyway. Congrats on the marriage. good luck!

You don't get a confirmation email until you get the 25 required to sign up. If they got an email, they must have had the 25 minimum.

The past 2 M&M's that I signed up for have either been canceled due to a schedule conflict with the meeting room or moved several times so no one cared anymore.

hey it was great to meet you guys on the cruise.

you both looked wonderful on your wedding day congrats.

btw thanks for the pirate gear you brought my wife on the last night.

not having the Mand M was a bummer, but the cruise was just great, so great that we are booked back on the AOS for oct 14, 07.

lexusis 350 and scubagirl1

bob and annet(scavenger hunter)

You don't get a confirmation email until you get the 25 required to sign up. If they got an email, they must have had the 25 minimum.

The past 2 M&M's that I signed up for have either been canceled due to a schedule conflict with the meeting room or moved several times so no one cared anymore.

I kind of figured they had got the 25 from the tone of every thing, but there were many references to # of posts,... when I first started on threads and M&M, I had the idea that an active thread = a M&M, which is not the case. I was only trying t let some rookies know to encourage and keep treack of people actually signing up.

We had the confirmation that there was to be a M&M and over 25 people were confirmed, we were also given a time for it, unfortunatley there was an issue on the boards which some of us believed caused the cancellation of the M&M. We were just told that there were not enough people signed up, which was not the case, as there were more then enough people signed up for it.

One of our group saved the confirmation email and is forwarding it to RCI for an explanation (or some Swag).;) I only mentioned the amount of email traffic because it was a pretty active board and figured that it would be a smart thing business wise to impress a large group that can influence others to cruise RCI and perhaps become repeat customers themselves versus creating a negative impact on those that were looking forward to the event.

I also saw the cruise on the RCI list of cruises that had confirmed Meet and Mingles and forwarded the info to our group.

I cannot imagine being a Cruisecritic member and posting on a cruise board that you are sailing with and not signing up for the meet and mingle. One of the great things about being with cruisecritic is the contacts you make and the friends you create along the way. It seemed like we were bumping into cruise critic members all over the place. A pirate ship, an elevator, in the Anguilla customs house waiting lounge, etc. The M&M would have enhanced the experience, but the lack of one did not detract from the fun we had. Just disappointed the opportunity was not provided. :confused: Thats all.

Rick

Archived