Dinner seating

racyguy14619

Each time I've cruised solo I was seated with both solo cruisers as well as couples. On one of my solo cruises, I was seated with 2 other solo cruisers and a family of 5. Looks like it varies but each time I had great tablemates.

Enjoy your first solo cruise:) .

I sailed on seven cruises. Five of the cruises I was sailing solo. On two of the cruises I was placed with families. On the first cruise that this was done, it was ok. On my last one in April, it was great!! I really enjoyed my tablemates and looked forward to dinner.

On my other solo cruises, the tables were all solo cruisers. I really enjoyed them because I sailed with people like Marti, who has over 690 sailing days to Nick who was a WW II vet who was in D-day. I consider dining and meeting new people one of the best things around.

Now if you have a bad table (which only happen once with me), request a change. I didn't know this at that time and just went to the Lido for dinner after dealing with a rude cruiser.

I hope this helps.

I think it's the luck of the draw. Last year, we had a solo cruiser at our table, but we were a family of 7 (it was a table for 8). We actually asked that she get another table for her sake because my in-laws are very private and they don't speak English well, so there would hardly be any conversation. For example, the in-laws may not want to speak in their language for fear that she thought we were talking about her, etc. And it's difficult when it's 1 vs. 7 anyway with no other parties.

On My past single cruises , I have the seem thing has happen to me.

sometimes I was with couples and sometimes the whole table were solo like my self. I prefer being with solos at my table, Its alot easier talking

to them.

I've gone solo twice. Once was on Carnival, and once was on Celebrity.

The celebrity cruise had me sitting with two couples and a woman and her mother.

The Carnival one was a disaster. They had me sitting in the middle of the aisle at a table for two. Whether or not they had someone assigned to sit with me, there was no one else at the table. I sat through dinner alone.

After dinner, I talked to my maitre'd. I asked if I could PLEASE be put at ta large table with PEOPLE there. He checked his board and said he had a large table for eight that had an empty space, and he'd put me with them. He said he had walked by that table earlier, and they looked like a good, happy crowd.

So, the next night, I show up at my table for eight, expecting to meet seven people for dinner. NO ONE showed up. The waiter finally asked me if the rest of the people in my party would be showing up that night. I said, "I don't know...I'm not with anyone. What were they like last night?" He said, "NO ONE showed up here last night. This table was empty."

Needless to say, I spent the other 5 nights eating in the windjammer for dinner.

So, the next night, I show up at my table for eight, expecting to meet seven people for dinner. NO ONE showed up. The waiter finally asked me if the rest of the people in my party would be showing up that night. I said, "I don't know...I'm not with anyone. What were they like last night?" He said, "NO ONE showed up here last night. This table was empty."

Needless to say, I spent the other 5 nights eating in the windjammer for dinner.

ugh! That's one of my fears. I went on a 3 night, and had a table for 4. I was the only one there on the first night. I didn't bother trying for another table since there were only 2 more nights. I hope that doesn't happen on my 7 nighter in Sept. Though I plan on going to the specialty restaurants 2 nights...and Liberty has a ton of other options other than the buffet. So if I really don't like the dining room, I have plenty of options for 7 nights.

My last cruise, I was seated at a table of 4 where no one showed. I asked for a table change and they tried a table of 8 (full) and a table of 12 (empty). Thankfully, the couple at the next table invited me over on the second night.

I just returned from my first solo cruise on the Carnival Liberty - loved every minute of it. I was seated with 2 other women traveling solo and 3 men traveling solo and 1 couple who were delightful. I looked forward to dinner every night.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! Sitting alone for dinner is my worst fear of traveling solo. Especially on formal night.

Yeah, I was surprised they let that happen. You especially don't put a solo traveler at a table for two.

No maitre'd that knows what he's doing would put a single at a 2 top. I've found certain lines like HAL and Celebrity are more tuned into the needs of the solo traveler.

I would still do formal night in the DR even if I was seated by myself. That's part of what I pay for.

Roz

No maitre'd that knows what he's doing would put a single at a 2 top. I've found certain lines like HAL and Celebrity are more tuned into the needs of the solo traveler.

I would still do formal night in the DR even if I was seated by myself. That's part of what I pay for.

Roz

Evidently the Matre D's on NCl have no training for dealing with solos as I always asked for a sharing table and just about every time I was seated at a duce. And to be honest after having to endure several sharing tables on seven day cruises on NCL I prefer to dine alone. Now on their 15 day cruises I never sat alone and I met all manner of wonderful people. So I guess it depends on the individual cruise.

My sister had some unsatisfactory experiences dining as a solo on NCL. I agree that that particular line isn't too accomodating to the solo cruiser.

Roz

On Cunard (QM2) I was put at a table for 4 with everyone a solo. I had asked for a large table (6 or 8), but the arrangements worked out fine. It is actually much easier to talk to everyone at a small table; a large table can sometimes restrict talking only to the person on the right or left. One dropped out after 2 nights, but it was very pleasant with the three of us remaining.

• 2 weeks later...
On my Carnival cruises I have always been seated at singles tables.

Hi Larry,

Was that at your request or it just happened that way? Just wondering if I will have to request to be seated with singles or will they just seat me that way because I am traveling alone.

Thanks,

Hi Larry,

Was that at your request or it just happened that way? Just wondering if I will have to request to be seated with singles or will they just seat me that way because I am traveling alone.

Thanks,

I did not request it but if that is what you want it can't hurt if you do.

So far I've done only one solo cruise. It was on Grand Princess in Anytime dining. Each evening I simply asked for a "share" and was always seated at a large table. I enjoyed it immensely: a good way to meet a diverse sample of folks.

A bonus: if someone's obnoxious you don't have to sit with them again.

Bonus number two: You can repeat your jokes and favorite stories.:)

I will be sailing solo for the first time in Dec. Sounds like I need to call my PVP and request a larger table. Although I am fairly outgoing and don't have trouble talking to not yet friends. I think it wouldgive me a complex if I were alone @ any size table.

One Story I can relate to this. myself and 2 of my friends (all 3 of us single) were seated @ 8 top. Joining us were 3 single gals and a married couple. I think they were newlyweds. Anyway by the time the cruise was over she was eating by herself and wasn't pleasent at all. I think her and her hubby had a major spat and it musthave gotten ugly. I felt sorry for her but being in me mid 20's it was wild and a little funnt that this was their honeymoon (I think) and they were splitting up already.

I thought we were in for a long week when oneof my buddy's called one of the 3 girls @ the table the "B" word. we were a little bit, no check that a lot drunk. He was out of line and apologized the next evening and all was good after that.

anyway now that I have thourghly bored everyone. I think Carnival tries to make it an even table, singles, couples whatever.

I almost wish I hadn't found this thread. ;) The possibility of being seated by myself or with one other person never crossed my mind. This week I booked my second solo cruise. I took NCL for the first one about three years ago and found a group of people to run around with and also it was freestyle dining.

This is my first solo trip with HAL. I am soooo excited. It was a last minute decision. I just booked it a couple of days ago, and I am heading for Alaska. I hope to heck I am not sitting by myself or I am not getting back on the ship at the next port and will just spend the rest of my life selling salmon jerky. ..just joking kind of.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

As a solo traveler, there are alot of things I worry about. Flight problems and not making the ship, before it sails. Making the ship, but my luggage not making it. But I never have thought to worry about dining alone at dinner. Maybe because it has never happened, even after six cruises with Disney Cruise Lines,

The first five cruises with them, seated with one or two families. Myself as the sixth at a table for six. The eighth at a table for eight. Only on the sixth and so far last cruise was I ever seated with singles who were traveling solo.

A woman who had just been laid off from her job in Florida, A female nurse from Pennsylvania. And a Japanese woman from Japan.

There were always at least three of us there for dinner. And this was at a table for eight. The fifth, we believe was the stunt coordinator for that cruise, as he showed up one night for dinner. Who the other three were, we have no idea, as they never showed up for any of the dinners. And this was a two-week cruise.

Maybe I should start worrying now.

How could it be worse?

They could sit you with the passengers from hell.

They could sit you with a bunch of kids, bratty young ones or surly teenagers.

You could not be going on a cruise at all.

If I end up at a table by myself I'll know that I'll enjoy the "company" and I can ask to be moved to another table.

But I requested the largest possible table, so the odds that no one shows up are minimal. Still, it's the least of my worries. I'm going on a cruise!!:D

As a solo traveler.......even after six cruises with Disney Cruise Lines,.../quote]

I wish I could start a new thread over this... I am very curious about your Disney Cruises. I travel by myself, I love cruises and I love Disney, I've been to WDW. I really was interested in taking a Disney Cruise solo, but some people on the boards talked me out of it. They suggested I would feel out of place, probably not meet other solo cruisers, and probably feel awkward for the duration of the trip. I chose a Carnival Cruise again instead.

6 Disney Cruises solo? Please, share, how was it, did you enjoy it, were you able to meet people? Were all of the pools, decks, lounges etc. available to you or were they geared toward children..... adult uncomfortable?

I guess 6 solo Disney cruises tells me you liked it. If you just took one, probably a bad sign. Should I do this next year?

I'd appreciate your input. Thank you

I never felt awkward.

I never felt out of place.

I never felt uncomfortable.

Did I enjoy it?

Bahamas

eastern Caribbean

Mexican Riveria

southern Caribbean

trans-Atlantic

western Caribbean

Yes.

And next year I have a cabin for the trans-Panama Canal cruise in May.

There are parts of the ship (decks, lounges, pools, etc.) reserved for adults, children, families, and teens.

Should you do it next year?

Yes. Take one of the 3- or 4-day cruises to the Bahamas on Disney Cruise Line. That way you can get some taste of Disney Cruise Line and decide whether you want to take a second cruise on Disney Cruise Line.

As for meeting people, whether this was just something for the trans-Atlantic cruise and/or Disney Cruise Line will continue to do it, I do not know, but several times on board the ship, there were solo lunches, where people who were traveling solo, could informally get together for lunch. A woman at my dinner table, who was traveling solo, met an executive from NBC television at one of these lunches.

And while I have found this board to be a good source of cruising information, I would not have the board members talk one out of going this time.

Archived