Cruising on Celebrity with kids/age demographics

brooklintee

We are considering 2 cruises for next March - the 10 day Galaxy, and the 11 day Constellation. We have never cruised X before, and I am concerned about the age demographics on this line. We are in our early 40's and have an 8 year old and a 14 year old.

Are the kid's programs comparable to RCI, Princess & NCL?

Do the programs run regardless of the number of kids onboard?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I have sailed both ships and recommend Constellation over Galaxy. Galaxy is nice but Constellation is nicer.

The Fun Factory is fantastic. I personally think it is the best youth program out there for younger kids. I can't speak to the teen programs because I have not used them but for the age of your kids it will be perfect.

People think of NCL, RCL, Carnival with kids. I have done those programs and they are fine but I LOVE Celebrity. The Fun Factory is at your disposal from 9AM- 1AM. There is a fee if you want the kids to dine with the other children at 6PM ($ 6) and also from 10PM-1AM ($ 6 per hour per child). It is a great structured program. If there aren't alot of kids on board- they might combine the age groups. I did Galaxy in October of 2004 and there were enough kids to make it fun for my son. I did Millenium on a TA cruise and there were 30 kids. On Constellation (Easter 2006) there were 300 kids. They hire more staff during holidays but there are always 5 full-time staff member in the youth program and it never shuts down regardless of the number of kids.

Just a thought, this is what I've done. We will be on Galaxy in Aug., so I went to the roll call and asked if there were any family's with kids my daughters age (10). I found one and now my daughter and this other girl are pen pals. They can't wait to meet up in Aug. It's nice because now my daughter has a friend before she even gets on board.

I was on the Mercury and it was Spring Break but their is a large number of kids no matter what time of year and no matter what ship or cruise. The staff is wonderful and they do everything to please your kids especially the older kids who are the hardest to please. There is going to be something to do no matter what type of person and the kids will find so many friends they will never want to leave and they will never want to leave hanging out with them. So I would say Celebrity is the best.

I was on the Mercury and it was Spring Break but their is a large number of kids no matter what time of year and no matter what ship or cruise.

I don't have kids but I want to say that that isn't true. I was on an 11 night Galaxy this February and there were exactly 11 kids onboard. Longer cruises while school is in will not have as many kids as shorter holiday cruises.

We did the 11 day Constellation over Easter this year our first time on Celebrity. We are a similar age to you with a 12 year old son and all had a great time. During this cruise there were 150 kids of all ages on board (around 50 in my sons 10 to 12 age group although about 20 of them regularly attended the activities). There seemed to be a similar number attending the teens. They have a seperate area for these 2 groups called the Tower where they have activities or they can just hang out. The younger ones finished at 10 but I think the older ones went on to midnight. My son enjoyed himself just as much as on RCI or Princess and made several friends one of whom he has been regularly e-mailing since we've been home.

We'll definitely be going back on Celebrity in the future.

Julie

In 2004, we went on our first cruise ever on the Galaxy. It was a 12 day during the school year. There were children aboard, but only two went to the fun factory (I think the others were too young. Our son was 3 1/2 at the time and he was in there with a 9yo girl and five counselors (minimum of two at a time, though many time three), so I can attest that the fun factory will be open even for a few children. We took DS in the morning after eating breakfast with us. We would pick him up for lunch and then one of us would put him down for a nap. Then he went back after nap until time to get ready for dinner (his choice). Sometimes he went back after dinner in the dining room, but we tried to let them know since he would be the only one possibly in the evenings. Since that time. X has teamed with LeapFrog, and they now have educational electronics to enhance the experience.

Honestly, our son is very adaptable and has enjoyed the kids' areas on the three cruises we've been on, regardless of the number of other children. But our favorite counselors by far were the ones on Galaxy.

And we do spend a lot of time with DS when on a cruise, but he enjoys being able to play with all the things in the kids' area and other children as well (and the arts and crafts, too). He always eats meals with us. The only exception is if we are in a port that we are unsure of. The first time we were in Jamaica, we checked him into the children's program because we had gotten mixed review on this port. I didn't feel safe in MoBay, so I was glad DS was safe on board the ship. But we do take him into most ports, and will take him into all ports when visiting Alaska this fall.

Although there are not as many kids on Celebrity as some of the other lines, whenever you mix spring break with cruising you will get kids and they will find a way to have a good time. The kids program on Celebrity seems to be quite satisfactory to those who have taken part in the activities. It doesn't have as high rating by the professionals as some of the other lines. This shouldn't stop you. Go and enjoy. NMnita

I've cruised Celebrity with a 3 year old, 11 year old and 14 year old and they loved it. It was much, MUCH better than NCL and, believe it or not, Carnival for the kids. No one in the family liked Carnival, including the kids.

RCL and DCL kids programs were a bit better, but since the adults preferred Celebrity, it's turned out to be our number one (or two now, since cruising Princess) choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to book Celebrity with kids, that way you get what you want and so do they.

Hi,

We are booked for Constellation 10 night in Feb with our 2 kids (8 and 10), so I will give an update after that time. Our last cruise was a 10 night on Jewel Of The Seas. There were only about 20 kids on the ship, but my kids loved having a small group in the kids program. Given the length of the cruise, and sailing during school, we don't expect to see many kids in Feb. either, but my kids prefer that.

Kim

I think it is great when the kids get all that individual attention and it is not a zoo in the kids program.

I stopped cruising with my older son. I have only cruised with him once in since he turned 16. He stayed up until all hours, slept in late and was really disinterested in hanging out with me or his little brother. It is a stage they go thru. Take advantage of cruising while your kids are still interested in the family vacations!

The good news is that my son has outgrown this stage! He loves being with us now (he is 19).

We did the 11 day Constellation over Easter this year our first time on Celebrity. We are a similar age to you with a 12 year old son and all had a great time. During this cruise there were 150 kids of all ages on board (around 50 in my sons 10 to 12 age group although about 20 of them regularly attended the activities). There seemed to be a similar number attending the teens. They have a seperate area for these 2 groups called the Tower where they have activities or they can just hang out. The younger ones finished at 10 but I think the older ones went on to midnight. My son enjoyed himself just as much as on RCI or Princess and made several friends one of whom he has been regularly e-mailing since we've been home.

We'll definitely be going back on Celebrity in the future.

Julie

Hey Julie. I was just about to respond on behalf of the 11 day sailing, but no need to. Great job with the description. My son was just saying the other night that he is ready to go back to the Constellation. We had so much fun on this sailing.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's appreciated! - I almost cancelled my 10-nighter on Constellation for Thanksgiving switching to Emerald Princess in fear the kids would hate it. Ages 8 and 10.

• 1 year later...

We've done the longer X cruises every year and there have been less then 5 school age children on every cruise. Even on the 11 day cruise during Easter week a couple of years ago, there was a large group from Mexico with about 20 kids, but that was about it. For some reason, the longer X cruises tend to attract fewer kids than Princess, RCI and Carnival despite the fact that the kid's activities on X are good. Don't really understand why that is.

Archived