Today Century in Amsterdam

Ine

Thanks for the posting - such good memories meeting you and seeing Amsterdam. We did love the Century and hope someday to cruise her again.

Hope all is well with you and your family,

Francine & Pat Coffey

Thanks so much for posting the reminder! Was just trying to determine today if the Century docked there right next to the Movenpick Hotel (I thought she did, but needed to confirm) and lo and behold there she is. August won't come soon enough!

Until 5pm. local time (about 11.am ET) Century is in Amsterdam.

http://beeks.eu:80/ypln/

My browser (Safari) seems unhappy with that URL, but is fine with this version:

http://beeks.eu/ypln/

Thank you for posting - it's good to see the ships back in Europe (Galaxy was in Barcelona yesterday) for the summer season.

A bit like migrating birds.....

Thanks, Ine. BTW if we're going to take a shuttle or taxi from our hotel to the port, would it be easier to find our ship. How's the port? Is it huge? Civitavecchia was so huge, got lost for half hour until we found the Galaxy. We're so excited already, only 3 weeks away til our cruise.

Hello out there - my hubby and I are booked a veranda cabin deck 8 on a transatlantic crossing next April on the Century (for our 41 anniversary) (a ship we have been on and loved - haven't been on it since the renovations - understand it is lovely) - anyway - I am anxious to hear from those who have crossed on the Century during the spring. How was the trip? What's the best avenue to pursue on staying on in Amsterdam? What's the best way to handle airfare home? Can you book a roundtrip ticket (usually cheaper than the one way) and only use the back end of the ticket. With all of the terrorist precautions I don't know how the airlines would feel about not showing up for the going over part of the ticket and wanting to use the return only. Any hints and suggestions would reallllly be appreciated. I have done 19 cruises all over but never a transatlantic for 14 days. Actually I think it would be very relaxing - if the seas cooperate. Thanks :)

Just got back from the Century TA. We got off in Dover, along with a lot of Brits and at least 2 Canadians. The only complaint I heard was that the sauce on the eggs benedict was (one morning) tasteless. Food was very good, crew was super ( or maybe Excellent?) Very calm crossing.

Far as air is concerned, compare prices. You can check with the cruiseline to get their price, shop some of the bucket shops, or if a round trip is less, buy it with the first leg from Europe to the US. Then if you don't use the second half, so what? You can't buy a round trip and not use the first half--the airlines will cancel the ticket so you can't just use the second half.

What's the best avenue to pursue on staying on in Amsterdam? What's the best way to handle airfare home? Can you book a roundtrip ticket (usually cheaper than the one way) and only use the back end of the ticket. With all of the terrorist precautions I don't know how the airlines would feel about not showing up for the going over part of the ticket and wanting to use the return only. Any hints and suggestions would reallllly be appreciated. I have done 19 cruises all over but never a transatlantic for 14 days. Actually I think it would be very relaxing - if the seas cooperate. Thanks :)

For one way fares from Amsterdam back to the U.S., check out Martinair. Not far from Amsterdam is the Düsseldorf (DUS) airport in Germany. From there you have the possibility of one way flights with LTU or Condor. For all 3 of the above it's probably a bit early since you can only book 11 months out. One way fares (we've used them from DUS to Miami with LTU and will be doing DUS to YVR (Vancouver) and L.A. (LAX) to DUS in Sept. and October) are pretty reasonable - generally about $350, depending on season.

You could also book a round trip ticket beginning in Amsterdam or somewhere else in Europe. Then you could throw the return part away;) OR book the next transatlantic cruise beginning in Europe and use the return from U.S. to Europe 6 months later.:D

Just spotted that you're from Florida -- you have the best possbilities with one-way flights. Martinair flies into Miami and Orlando, Condor flies into Orlando and Ft. Myers, and LTU flies into Miam and Ft. Myers.

Sharon - thanks for the info - we will be traveling in the spring so I am not sure what the difference is between that and the fall. I went online yesterday just to get an idea of what a one-way home to Florida would be - yikes!!! anywhere from $1200 up to $2400... roundtrips were $520 to $840. You would think since you are only using the airplane one way you could get a break. Sooooo - I think the best way to do this is to book roundtrip - home from Amsterdam or somewhere in that vicinity since we will be staying on for a week or so and visiting some of that part of the world - and then have the back end of the ticket for - say in the summer or fall - and if I use it fine - if I don't I won't be out anything. We can't book Florida to Amsterdam and back because if we don't use the front end of the ticket I understand the back end would be cancelled and invalid.

Archived