HAL- Kid friendly???

Hi all- We're in the planning stages of a trip for next May to Europe and DH is leaning towards a cruise that HAL has. We'll be traveling with kids who will be 12, 10, 8 and 2 and I'm concerned about finding a cruise that is both adult and kid friendly as the first and last cruise we took was dreadful for everyone but the 4 year old. (Different cruise line.)

I'd love to hear thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

Tami

I can only tell you from my own experiences. I cruised HAL's Zuiderdam (Caribbean) with my son who was then 12. He was pretty bored and there weren't a lot of kids (and this was summer). Zuiderdam is one of HAL's larger ships which are supposed to be more kid-friendly. I just think the line itself attracts older passengers.

If you are going on one of HAL's smaller vessels on a Med. itinerary, I doubt there will be a lot of kids. However, the itinerary is so intensive that there isn't a lot of time for kids to be with other kids on the ship anyway.

Without knowing more specifics of what you are looking for, it's hard to make a recommendation. What made the other cruise dreadful?

Actually, the Z is the ship we're looking at. It's taking a 12 day through the Med. in May, 2008. The only reason I'd even consider it is because there is only one day at sea. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Sensation, 5 day western Caribbean, and had 2 days. One of our days in port literally had 3 hours by the time we got tendered in. The "Camp Carnival" for the older kids consisted of them being stuck in a room about the size of our living room with some DVD's, video games, and arts and crafts that were completely below their age level. The kids' pool was broken the entire cruise and from what we heard from other parents the kids almost never left that room. We didn't leave them there too often because they were miserable there. The 4yo liked her room but she loves arts and crafts and will draw for hours.

The food and service were good but frankly, unless you wanted to lay by the pool and watch the drunks on the "at sea" days there was NOTHING to do. The regular pools were too deep and too crowded for the kids. We were expecting the ability to be up and active throughout the vacation which we prefer to be and the only thing we really found to do was laps around deck on the non port days. We just didn't choose the right ship because we chose by destination not ship.

I'm not a big "tour" person anyway. I prefer to plop somewhere and then explore on my own away from the crowds so cruising may never be the best fit for me. However, it if gets my DH to quit griping about going to Europe and actually do it, I'll suck it up and take the cruise. :D The Z's itinerary is mostly on the ship at night anyway.

Tami

I would look at either RCCL or Disney if possible. From what I understand they are the most kid friendly. I have travelled RCCL with a 7 and 3 year old and they loved it. We will be doing the Med. with them next spring. They will be 10 and 6 then.

I have had good experiences with my kids on both Princess and Celebrity. My kids were 4 and 8 when we started cruising with them and will be 7 and 11 when we go to the Mediterranean. We debated between the Emerald Princess and the Celebrity Summit and finally wound up picking Celebrity.

Have you posted your question on the HAL board? You'll probably get more feedback there about the kids program.

One consideration: your 2 year old won't be old enough for the kids program on either Princess or Celebrity, but Celebrity has private in-cabin babysitting available. That might come in handy if you want to go to shows or have an adult dinner. Don't know about whether HAL offers this.

--Junglejane

I took my son on the Noordam last year when he was 6. He was one of only 4 children on board but he still had a great time. The staff gave him tons of attention and he was never bored. We were off the ship in every port most of the day so that helped too.

We enjoyed HAL enough that were going on the Westerdam in September

and taking my son again.

I think it really depends on what you like, for example, a Disney vacation is agonizing for me. I just don't like the crowds and having tons of strollers to contend with. That being said, I'm sure that my son would enjoy it but the vacation is for everyone so HAL is a good compromise.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Can you cruise this summer? Disney has cut the price on their category 12 stateroom guarantee (and most people are getting upgraded) by thousands of dollars! They are planning wonderful activities for the kids. For example, they will be making crepes bofore docking in France, etc. The ship is wonderful, and there are plenty of ways the adults can get away from the kids for a while. Just thought I'd put that out there. We're sailing on the June 16th cruise out of Barcelona.

Good luck planning!!

-Jodie

Archived