New Royal Caribbean Pricing Policy

Sorry but it seems that you are going far afield here. Remember I said these issues are fact specific? Starting to talk about Real estate agents is going afield to a totally different fact pattern. as an example the RE agent rarely represents the same principal selling the same property(I hope not if they do it is usually a fraud). So why don't we stick to cruises and stop fighting over irrevalant facts...IMO

Sure enough, the discounts are gone, checked yesterday and the RCI cruises were discounted with our on line TA. Today, the price is the same as RCI's website. The on line TA needs to up date their website, because it still says every cruise, every cabin disounted guaranteed. No more.

What is missing from this RCI fisaco is the customer. Guess its just assumed that we will bend over and take it. This move by RCI really shows that they dont have any concern for their customers and they take us for granted.

And yes the prices are up, I checked several off weeks for an inside cabin and all around $2000 for two on the Nav.

All I think this move will do is have many at least look elsewhere to compare prices, we will. At least the Jewel for July 26, 2005 was booked before this and we got the discount.

[quote name='smeyer418']Starting to talk about Real estate agents is going afield to a totally different fact pattern.[/QUOTE]Good point! TA aren't general agents of the cruise line, simply because they aren't, not because of something having to do with real estate.

[quote name='Brad1185']What is missing from this RCI fisaco is the customer. Guess its just assumed that we will bend over and take it. This move by RCI really shows that they dont have any concern for their customers and they take us for granted.[/QUOTE]That's over-emotionalized hyperbole, and nothing more. Just because something isn't utterly biased in favor of the customer doesn't mean (1) that it is a "fiasco"; (2) that a supplier "dont have any concern" about customers.

In case anyone was still wondering, I did a bit more research:
[indent]17. Passenger acknowledges and confirms that any travel agent utilized by Passenger ... is, for all purposes, [b]Passenger's[/b] agent ...
[/indent]You can't book a cruise with the cruise line without agreeing to that.

[quote name='bicker']That's over-emotionalized hyperbole, and nothing more. Just because something isn't utterly biased in favor of the customer doesn't mean (1) that it is a "fiasco"; (2) that a supplier "dont have any concern" about customers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with bicker on this one.

In the case of RCCL, I do believe they have concern for the customer and in the end things will work out for the best. They felt they had problems with their sales program, so they are making changes they feel are necessary. This will take some time to work out. Just because the prices with the discounters changed today does not mean good deals are gone forever. Once the dust settles I think you will start to see discounts and sales sponsored by the cruiseline that everyone can take advantage of regardless of who they book with.

[quote name='bicker']In case anyone was still wondering, I did a bit more research:
[indent]17. Passenger acknowledges and confirms that any travel agent utilized by Passenger ... is, for all purposes, [b]Passenger's[/b] agent ...
[/indent]You can't book a cruise with the cruise line without agreeing to that.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I am surprised at that one. I guess I did have it wrong. Thanks for doing the research.

There was never an issue with respect to agency and anti-trust analysis. There is no foundation for an anti-trust case. What might be useful is if you were to try to cite the exact part of the USC you think is relevant.

[quote name='bicker']There was never an issue with respect to agency and anti-trust analysis. There is no foundation for an anti-trust case. What might be useful is if you were to try to cite the exact part of the USC you think is relevant.[/QUOTE]
?????? are you talking to me?

[quote name='Mark_K']You act as if being an agent for one party precludes the possibility of being an agent for the other party. Dual agency is quite common in real estate, and I imagine other areas as well.[/QUOTE]Dual agency is actually quite [b]un[/b]common in real estate, and generally considered [b]ill[/b]-advised. There is no reason to think that it exists anywhere outside of real estate, and especially no reason to think it exists in the travel industry.

This entire thing has left me utterly confused. How did smeyer and I ever come to agree on this?:confused: :D

Of course, I have to agree with his passport pusher status as well.

I will have to drink some nice wine tonight and cogitate on this mystery of the universe.

It is a lot easier than climbing to the top of himalayan mountain and to contemplate it there, naked. ;)

jc

jc - I sincerely hope we never find your frozen, naked corpse somewhere half-way up K-2...with wine slushy in hand!

FYI: Travel agencies (including the one I work for) contract yearly with most major cruise lines, thus establishing a guaranteed commission, as well as an expected volume of business....on which the commission percentage is based. This allows us to have what we call "preferred vendors" (just as we can be a "preferred agency"), and, or course, we are encouraged to book "preferred vendors" (cruise lines/topur companies), but this also precludes us from promoting one over the other (thus playing "favorites"), since most of the major lines - including luxury - are on our "preferred" list.

Sid and I are generally known to share opposing points of view. Let's put me in the complete laizzez faire capitalist framework, and that will help you locate Sid somewhere else in the spectrum. I admire Sid's intelligence, and he is usually an excellent foil for me to make my points, just as I am sure he can whack on me to make his points. I am just always amazed when we come together to a point of understanding and agreement. It just proves the adage that there is common ground between all of us if we just look a little deeper! :) :D :eek:

jc

What a nightmare! We use online TA's and checked out Cruise Quick.. see their statement below..They are going to evaluate the situation and will hold off booking RCI and Celeb for the time being until they know the in's and out's..Hopefully the final word will be more customer friendly. I know I will not book with any cruise line that doesn't at the very least offer early booking discounts!!!

[font=Arial][size=3]The management of CruiseQuick.com has been unable to get answers from Royal Caribbean management as to what kinds of programs will qualify under their new policy. Rather than violate the terms and face possible future restrictions from Royal Caribbean we have chosen to remove both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean quote links from out site as of Friday, August 20th. We will offer these cruise lines in the very near future. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. [b]All existing reservations and quotes will be honored and serviced as usual.[/b][/size][/font] [center] [center][font=Arial][size=4][color=#000080][b]August 13, 2004 - Royal Caribbean International® and Celebrity Cruises® Announce Policy Change[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[/center]
[font=Arial][color=#000080]To ensure a full understanding and compliance with the new policy, the following procedures are to be adhered to when marketing, advertising and selling Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruises or cruisetours.[/color][/font] [font=Arial][color=#000080]No agencies can advertise, market or sell[/color] [color=#ff0000]below our published[/color] [color=#000080]pricing programs. Any rebating or incentive programs that can be converted to cash or currency are not allowed. The marketing, advertising and selling mediums shall include, but not be limited to, TV, radio, phone, newspaper, catalogs, direct mail, call centers, and all on-line vehicles such as search engines, websites, e-mail, pop-ups, and banners.[/color] [/font]

[font=Arial][color=#000080]Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises new Rebate Policy remains effective as of Monday, August 16th, 2004. A 5-day implementation period has been added in order to ensure all agencies are within compliance by end of day Friday, August 20th, 2004.[/color][/font]

[/center]

From what I have seen with the RCI letters it seems pretty cut and dry as to what they allow and what they don't. If an agency has decided not to sell RCI and Celebrity, it would seem to me that they are probably either 1)upset about the new policy and try to "get back at them" by not selling the line 2) wanting RCI to make and exception for them or 3)trying to get answers to find ways around the policy. Maybe all 3.

I am not familiar with Cruise Quick at all, but as a outsider looking this, it sure appears that Cruise Quick may have been one of the ones RCI was not happy with.

Actually Cruise Quick is very very good TA as are quite a few other onlineTA's.. Checked around the net and most online TA's are now quoting full price based on comparing to the the RCI site.. Compared several of them and I guess they are going to go with the flow and charge full price.. We have never paid full brochure price and will never do that, so we will cruise on those that offer discounts or sales... Fortunately we are pretty booked up until end of 2005 and go some fantastic rates!:D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Sid and I are generally known to share opposing points of view. Let's put me in the complete laizzez faire capitalist framework, and that will help you locate Sid somewhere else in the spectrum. I admire Sid's intelligence, and he is usually an excellent foil for me to make my points, just as I am sure he can whack on me to make his points. I am just always amazed when we come together to a point of understanding and agreement. It just proves the adage that there is common ground between all of us if we just look a little deeper! :) :D :eek:

jc[/QUOTE]
Yes, martinis:D

Wouldn`t it be great if this country did operate on laize-fair(sp?) capitalism? OOPS, sorry, that would put Sid out of work:eek:

Sorry Sid couldn`t resist it. Truce?

Archived