Uniworld 7/7 River Royale Extension in Paris cancelled

MrsDave

My dear friends..

I haven't been here in some months..we are due to pay the balance on our trip when we find out that Uniworld has not had enough people to offer the post cruise in Paris. I have been trying to work with them to see if we could do the three days in Paris..they have come back to me with the idea of the train from the ship to Paris..the first hotel they offered was the Best Western and it got terrible reviews on Trip Advisor...the second one today Hotel Lotti got mixed reviews but, this one will cost us at least $500 more..I have not been to Paris so, I have no clue..I am faced with making this decision this weekend...so, I am hoping that some will be able to give me some competitive intel...this is the only way to make any decisions..

Thanks in advance!!

Tina

Would it be cheaper to arrange your own hotel.? As long as you are flying out from Paris - you said you will take the train to the city - just book the hotel yourself.

We picked a hotel from the trip advisor that was on the left bank. It was a great location for us. Lots of small restaurants and great walking areas. The room was very small, had no view but it was clean and everything in the bathroom had been updated.

Suggest you check out hotels at http://www.venere.com. Also you can do a search on Google - hotels in Paris. You can use TripAdvisor for a reference source as well. Paris is a great city and easy to get around using the Metro (subway) Plenty to do and you can do a self guided tour. Get a copy of Rick Steves guidebook (my favorite) or Fodor's or Frommers which have hotel recommendations, recommended walks, etc and should be available at your library or any good book store.

Don't be discouraged by the cancellation. You'll have a great time on your own.

I agree with VAGUY--you can do Paris just fine on your own and probably cheaper. We did this as pre cruise last year and took the train from Paris to Lyon--2 hours. Since we had been in Paris before, we "did our thing". It is a city soooo easy to get around. The first time we stayed at the Hotel Central Ste. Germaine--not far from the Sorbonne. The room was small and had wonderful a/c. The mamager was an ex-pat American. There are some very good hotels that won't break the bank. I would push Uniworld. We had a couple on our Rhone trip that were the only ones doing the Nice post trip. Don't let this spoil a really beautiful river cruise. And be sure to take to optional tour to Beaune--one of the most beautiful medieval towns Ive ever seen. Enjoy your time on the river and in Paris. Pat

We stayed at the Hotel Madison. We got a good deal but our room was about the size of state room on a cruise ship. There are a few boutique hotels on the rive gauche. With the devalued dollar things are more expensive than a couple of years ago.

We really liked the location - a metro stop on the corner - and so much in walking distance.

Pacmom...tell me about your train ride from Paris to Lyon ? We are planning a fall trip on Peter Deilman out of Lyon and since I have never been to Paris before, We are planning on leaving New Orleans on Tuesday and arriving in Paris on Wednesday (for a jet lag recovery day), spend Thursday doing Paris on the quick and then taking the train to Lyon on Friday to leave on the river boat on Saturday.

Did you travel first class on the train or economy ? Is it true you can catch the train right at CDG airport ? Did you purchase your rail pass on Europe by Rail ? My best friend and her mom are coming and they have never been on a train so I am thinking about taking first class one way and coach the other

Yes, you can catch the TGV (fast) train at Charles de Gaulle Aeroport or at Gare de Lyon in Pars. Its about a two hour trip to Lyon. Prices range from $58 for second class to $185 for first class. Since it is a fairly short trip, I suggest second class using the money saved for a good bottle of wine. You can buy your tickets on line or at the station. If you decide to wait until you get to Paris, I suggest you buy your tickets the day before you want to travel. Seats are reserved on the TGV and you don't want to arrive at the station to find out your train is sold out. Detailed infomation can be found at http://www.raileurope.com or google "train schedules in France" or some such inquiry.:confused: The Europeans really do know how to run a railroad, and train travel there is quite pleasant.

Regarding a hotel. Look at http://www.acacias-paris-hotel.com. Good website and front desk answers inquiries promptly. Near Arc de Triomphe which is easily reached by taking the Air France (white) bus, line #2 from CDG. Any other questions e-mail me at pkutra@cox.net

Enjoy :p

Since our train trip was part of the precruise, we didn't pay for it. Uniworld usually uses a motor coach for the trip. When we were there there were only 10 of us, so we went by trian with a Uniworld rep. We traveled 2 nd class--very comfy.--too short a trip to spend money on 1st class. If you buy your ticket far enough in advance, there are sometimes discounts. Enjoy!!!!! Pat

If you are 60 or older don't forget to ask for "senior discount" or whatever itis called in France. There is often a generous reduction but you must ASK for it as they will not volunteer it. I doubt that you can get this discount by purchasing tickets online or otherwise from the States.

Clarence:)

Thanks for all the tips! I knew I could depend on you guys..

I left a message for the TA this morning with 3 hotel names..I am trying to keep Uniworld on the straight and narrow....it isn't our fault that this extension was cancelled.

My husband will be 60 in Dec...so, I guess that leaves us out for any further discount....

I'll let you know how things progress...and...Thanks a million times...

Tina

In October, we're signed-up with Uniworld for a pre-cruise land tour through Spain ending in Lisbon, Portugal prior to our Douro River cruise. They say they need a minimum of 20 persons and so far have 13. We're somewhat nervous that they won't have the necessary 20, but our TA says she can come up with an acceptable alternative -- we hope so!

Best wishes from smoky Florida -- cough, cough...

captgeo

Dear Everyone,

I am calling Uniworld on my own today and letting them know if they don't straighten all this out I am posting multiple notes on this website..

They have been stringing me along and have now taken the price from $859 pp to $1199 at the Hotel Royal....this is so stressful and I am working full time...they are taking what would have been a wonderful vacation and ruining it...I have been so upset....and...the TA has not been effective..I have thought about calling another TA but, after reading these notes..I think the direct approach might be better...wish me luck..or I will be forced to cancel Paris..and..that will cause a whole host of different problems with the air..

Thanks again for all of your insight...I did try to look up the hotels on here..but...they were very expensive.

Tina

We are taking Gate1 Basel to Amsterdam in September. I extended in Amsterdam on my own. Gate1 helped me get a discounted hotel in Amsterdam and is providing a no charge boat/hotel transfer. I would think that Uniworld should do the same particularly as they cancelled !!

A couple of other ideas go to www.tripadvisor.com. Go to the Paris forum and than to the hotel section. This is the web site I always use to plan my pre and post days. There are reviews of hotels,rankings and even links to make your reservation through various on line travel sites.

Another thing to try is go to www.globusjourneys.com and arrange for a separate tour. With their Monogram division they show 3 nights in Paris starting at $529.99 pp,choice of hotel, includes breakfast everyday and a guided city tour with a full day at leisure. They might just be able to tie one of their tours onto the end of your cruise.I have traveled with Globus many times and they are a wonderful company. I have known several people that have tied together multiple tours.The phone number is 866 431 3000. You would probably be better off calling them and telling them exactly what you need.

Hi,

Just checked the web site for the hotel we used in Paris in 2002. It is the Hotel Saint Germain at 3 Rue Champillion on the left bank. A double is going for about 175 euros breakfast included. With many of the hotels in Paris, you want to ask for a room in the back. The street side rooms can be noisy. I really think you can do much better on your own, than with any cruise lines pre or post trip--unless it's free. Good luck--your time on the river will be lovely. Pat

Hi,

I was so down today...I called Uniworld and they could care less..they even bordered on being nasty...the girl I spoke with sounded like a recording.."we have a disclaimer that states we need 20 people" ...my TA was off today..so, tomorrow, I am going to take Pat's advice and also call Globus...hopefully things will work out for us...our air is taken care of from Uniworld..home from Paris..so, all I need is the hotel and we can take the train..second class...

I'll let you all know what's going on..

Thanks!

Tina

Whenever I have a friend going to Paris for the first time, I recommend a hotel on the I'le St Louis. It is the oldest, most charming part of Paris, smack in the middle, on a small island connected by footbridge to the island that Notre Dame stands on. You are so central that you can walk anywhere easily, and can't get lost because you just have to look for the towers of Notre Dame. All of the hotels on the island are lovely, just google Paris, I'le st louis, hotel. It gives you the best impression possible of this beautiful city.

Hi Pat,

When I tried to put two people in it bounced back and said the room was not appropriate...it had a double bed..

I'm going to try again...

How can I ever thank you all..

I will let you know,

Tina

Archived