Princess Cruise Directors

SeaCrystal22

We just left the Coral Princess a week ago and Lee Childers was the CD he was very visible and went out of his way to greet you. Also he's a pretty talented singer.

Still Neil Chandler is my favorite!

Dianne

This was the 4'th time we had Billy as a CD. He was a lot more visible on prior cruises. I noticed the Asst. CD, Mark, filling in for him quite a bit. I did see Billy on the TV every morning, with Mark, doing the morning show and they were very funny together.

A fellow passenger told me that Billy did his "fiddler on the roof" routine and that it brought the house down. I had asked Billy about it on the Diamond a couple of years ago and he had said then that he didn't do it anymore. I'm glad he's doing it again because he is a really good singer.

I also noted that Mark, not Billy, went to the Captain's past passenger luncheon. When we were on the Diamond, Billy had attended the luncheon. All I can say is that maybe he is getting ready to retire?

And I thought Mark did a great job when he was "on." He seemed to be out and about more as well - maybe Billy was letting those under him have more experience?

And I thought Mark did a great job when he was "on." He seemed to be out and about more as well - maybe Billy was letting those under him have more experience?

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but I know what you mean too.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but I know what you mean too.
It's interesting of that group - weren't Natalie, Ben and Peter all Junior Assistant Cruise Directors? That's a lot of Juniors...

We just had JJ Ulrich as our CD on the Golden Princess. He was a nice enough guy, but not my favorite by a long shot. I preferred him when he wasn't on the job. For one thing, I'm not used to an American being a CD. :p When you say Frankie, I'm wondering if this is the same Frankie who was a Deputy CD on the Golden. Short guy with longish hair. Hyper and kind of a high voice. I liked him! I also enjoyed one of the Asst. CDs named Paul (from England). I actually think he should have been the Cruise Director. He was everywhere! He also had the personality for it JJ just didn't have "it", I felt. We sat with Paul in Cabo and the guy was stepping in for Frankie when he was on vacation. My daughter spent a lot of time with the CD staff up at Skywalker's into the wee hours of the morning dancing. A lot of fun! She wonders how they stay up all night and then have to be perky for the morning!

I was somewhat disappointed in Mr. Hygate - even his scheduling was bad. So much different than the last time I did the Hawaii cruise with David Cole - who was excellent...

Also excellent - Dan Gibbons, Frankie Verocca and Brett Siborne (Frankie and Brett are Deputy CDs). I thought Tim Donovan was good and Janet Edwards and Gavin Chandler. I liked JJ Ulrich, many don't. Mark Ianizzano (if that's how you spell it) was excellent when we was with Princess - I think he's at Raddison now?

Didn't mean to ramble - just my thoughts :D

It's interesting of that group - weren't Natalie, Ben and Peter all Junior Assistant Cruise Directors? That's a lot of Juniors...

I wondered about that too. Several of the staff told Bruce and I that the Island was a "training" ship with a lot of first time contracts. Maybe they were all "CD's in training"? :confused:

We had Paul O'Laughlin as CD on the Ocean (2000), the Star (2002), and the Caribbean (2004). We really enjoyed him. We were hoping he'd get the Emerald, since we seemed to find him whenever we sailed on the new ships. But it's not him :(

We had John Cleford on the Coral (2005) and the Sun (2006). He wasn't half bad.

Our favorite captain so far was Capt Andrew Froude on the Sun in 2006. We actually SAW him all over the ship, and though he seemed a bit shy, he made a real effort to get out and greet passengers, take pictures, shake hands, etc. He was the first captain who really seemed approachable in our 6 cruises to that point.

I wondered about that too. Several of the staff told Bruce and I that the Island was a "training" ship with a lot of first time contracts. Maybe they were all "CD's in training"? :confused:

As posted before, we had Neal Chandler as assistant CD on the Diamond and then CD on the Sapphire. In talking to him, there is a transition position between assistant and assigned ship’s Cruise Director. Until a ship opens up, he will travel the globe as a relief CD on any ship where the assigned CD is off.

The assistant position IS the training ground.

Totally possible...Sun Princess used to hold the role of training ship back in 2000 or so. I would imagine that having all those sea days would be a good - although tough - training ground.
In talking to him, there is a transition position between assistant and assigned ship’s Cruise Director. Until a ship opens up, he will travel the globe as a relief CD on any ship where the assigned CD is off.

The assistant position IS the training ground.

There's a whole bunch of protocol that is gone through to work up the ladder. Included are recommendations from more than one existing Cruise Director for promotions...so it's not a matter of just being trained...there's people that have to be satisfied with performance.

We had David Cole on the Island, filling in for Richard Joseph, and he was a lot of fun! I think that was his first contract with Princess after being on RCI. Does anyone know if he's still with Princess, or what ship he's on these days?

Are Neal and Gavin Chandler one and the same person?

Confused

No they aren't.
We had David Cole on the Island, filling in for Richard Joseph, and he was a lot of fun! I think that was his first contract with Princess after being on RCI. Does anyone know if he's still with Princess, or what ship he's on these days?
I'd like to know as well - I enjoyed David Cole...and he was a talented singer and ukelele player too!

We were on the Sea Princess 11/11-11/25/06 and Peter Roberts was the Cruise Director.

We were a group of 10, and we didn't care for him at all, He wasn't that great as far as personality, entertaining etc. He also had an attitude at times.

You are sure right about having a great Cruise Director. When you have a great CD, (man or woman) it just makes a big difference.

Our next cruise isn't until 2008, and we will be on the Grand in Europe, a group of 16, sure hope the Cruise Director will be a Good One.

Sandy M.:(

And Josh is a very good CD. I have to say though that Sam (don't remember her last name) his Senior Assistant Cruise Director was awesome! I think she is going to make an excellent CD soon!

Sea Fan

If Lee Childers was on the Coral i am stunned to hear he actually greeted passengers

On the Sapphire in 2006 he would turn and walk in opposite direction and ensure he never ever spoke to any passenger

Sammy replaced him on the Sapphire and boy was everyone pleased

No they aren't. I'd like to know as well - I enjoyed David Cole...and he was a talented singer and ukelele player too!

Dave Cole is presently on the CP. On May 13, Tim Donovan left the CP and Dave Cole began. I know this as I just came off the CP on Sunday!

And Josh is a very good CD. I have to say though that Sam (don't remember her last name) his Senior Assistant Cruise Director was awesome! I think she is going to make an excellent CD soon!

Was this Samantha Hawker Thomas? English? Pings off of walls? Full of energy?

Kelvin Joy on the Crown was brilliant. He was a very funny man and the life and soul of the cruise. He always greeted everyone in a really friendly manner. Any event he ran was full and everyone we met really loved him. He really made our cruise.

Archived