What to wear to visit the ruins?

Math4Aggies

We were just at Chacchoben ruins, and it was wonderful! Wear your MOST comfortable walking shoes. And either a hat or visor, cuz that sun is brutal. I brought a bottle of water from the ship, but the tour bus also handed out cold bottled water. Since you're going to be further south than even Miami, the heat is right up there -- so is the humidity. So wear clothing to suit HOT! And enjoy it! Between the two of us we took about 300 pictures ... have distilled it down to a really great slide show.

Definitely as little clothing as possible and VERY comfy shoes. I've taken a mini umbrella and it sure did help keep that HOTHOTHOT sun off. You can buy one of those little insulated bags that holds two bottles of water - gooooood investment!

I went to the myan ruins during the month of may a few years ago. i wore my swim suit under shorts and tank top. i had a visor bc the sun is hot and stong. water is a must!!! i wore teva sandals, which are comfortable to me and i could wear them in the water. we took towels too bc at the end of the tour you had some time to go down to the beach area and get in the water if you wanted to. it was a good experience...have fun!!

Cotton - It is like you can see my junk cabinet :eek: [we have more than a drawer's worth here]. I HAVE an insulated water bottle holder and I had not thought to bring it.

And it sounds like I should get some shorts. I have not worn shorts for many-a-year, but some of the new styles are down to the knee and I might be able to manage those.

Now to find the time to shop...

Janice

After several trips to Mexico, cruise and land vacations, please dress respectfully. You are visiting another country and culture. Be a good ambassador. Wear loose fitting clothing, a hat of somekind and comfortable walking shoes. When you enter Uxmal there are a couple of shops and a restaurant where you can pickup water, cokes or even food. Uxmal is awesome. Very pretty besides being very impressive.

John

We were just at Chacchoben ruins, and it was wonderful! Wear your MOST comfortable walking shoes. And either a hat or visor, cuz that sun is brutal. I brought a bottle of water from the ship, but the tour bus also handed out cold bottled water. Since you're going to be further south than even Miami, the heat is right up there -- so is the humidity. So wear clothing to suit HOT! And enjoy it! Between the two of us we took about 300 pictures ... have distilled it down to a really great slide show.

DO NOT FORGET SOME KIND OF INSECT REPELLENT!!!! The mosquitos apparently especially like the Carnival food you have predigested for them.

I was getting so bit up, that I had to get back into the tour bus.

BnB

And it sounds like I should get some shorts. I have not worn shorts for many-a-year, but some of the new styles are down to the knee and I might be able to manage those.Janice

:D Janice, get some shorts, girl! Believe me, nobody pays any attention to what anybody else is wearing. Dress for comfort anytime you're off the ship. Think COOL.

:D Janice, get some shorts, girl! Believe me, nobody pays any attention to what anybody else is wearing. Dress for comfort.

Cotton is SOOO right! ;) Everyone else is too busy worrying about how they look than to look at how you look! :D If you don't have shorts, you're going to fry in the heat!! Insect repellent is also a must, as mentioned above. They have huge bugs down there, some of which we don't see around these parts! :eek:

I wore lightweight cotton slacks, socks (bugs love my ankles) and good walking shoes. I was sorry I hadn't brought my hiking stick cuz it helps me so much with balance (bad bad knees). I kept the bugs at bay but don't know what it would have been like with shorts.

Cotton is SOOO right! ;) Everyone else is too busy worrying about how they look than to look at how you look! :D If you don't have shorts, you're going to fry in the heat!! Insect repellent is also a must, as mentioned above. They have huge bugs down there, some of which we don't see around these parts! :eek:

Hi!

I am leaving on Saturday, May 19th [picture me smiling] but I have to make some packing decisions. What would you suggest wearing to visit some Mayan ruins [uxmal to be exact]?

thanks!

Janice

I live in sunny South Florida where we have only 2 seasons: Summer and HELL. However, when I visited the Mayan ruins, I never felt anything like that heat. Personally, unless you are a ruin-lover, I'd skip it. Also - watch out for the gigantic iguanas all over the place!

Can you tell I really loved that excursion???

Hi!

I am leaving on Saturday, May 19th [picture me smiling] but I have to make some packing decisions. What would you suggest wearing to visit some Mayan ruins [uxmal to be exact]?

thanks!

Janice

BUG SPRAY ! :eek:

I hear ya. I am about 100 miles north of Houston and those pesky bugs are nearly year round here. Normally I like protective clothing as the first line of defense [keeps the sun off too], but jeans may be too hot. I say maybe as I have lived though 25 lovely Texas summers and I do have some tolerance. But, thanks to all the advice I will have my comfy walking shoes, my loose and light clothes, my hat, my bug spray and my sunscreen.

THANKS!

janice

We were there in July and it was HOT HOT HOT!! Poured water on a shirt and draped it over my head! NO one cares what you're wearing--they're just thinking of how to cool off! They told us it was 112 degrees. Don't even accidently drink the water or you WILL get sick.

Whatever shoes you wear make sure they are good for walking on slippery moss or slime covered steps... some treacherous stuff there. Coming down is tougher than going up. Soft soled sneakers would be good. Leather or plastic would be... deadly?

Thanks again. Got the good shoes for walking/climbing, cool clothes and real bug spray [DEET]. Hat and sunscreen in the bag.

I know about coming down - I may be on my bottom to do it safely :D

heyman - I will try to get a review up the week after we return. With pictures! But it will probably be on its own thread.

Janice

Archived