butler service - what do you do?

nicole9s

I'm bored, so asking something I've been wondering about...

For those of you who have sailed with butler service in the past, what have you asked of your butler or done differently than non-butler categories?

For example, I've seen posts where people in suites have had the butler deliver martinis from the martini bar, or sushi from the sushi bar to them when getting ready for dinner. Or those that have asked for different hors d'ouevres than the canapes.

So what do you ask of your butler? What would you consider reasonable? Unreasonable? Have you ever seen/heard of any instances where a person asked something totally over the top?

For those of you who have sailed with butler service in the past, what have you asked of your butler or done differently than non-butler categories?

Nothing.

By the way, it is not the case that each suite gets their own butler. I mention this because I saw a thread somewhere else were a poster seemed to think that. When I was on Horizon and Zenith, there were two butlers: one for the suites on the port side, and one for the suites on the starboard side. When I was on Mercury, there were two for the Sky Suites on our deck, one for the port side, and one for the starboard side. So, it's not like these guys are any more or less busy than the typical cabin steward...I'm really not sure what the big deal is supposed to be about the butler. They say "I'm here to take care of you" but that's exactly what the cabin stewards I've had have done too. I really think it's all a marketing ploy.

But that's not to say that I would ever turn down the chance to stay in a suite!

The only "extra" things I have asked for from a butler is polishing my shoes one formal night evening and arranging for some bites and drink for an in-cabin get together. Both of these things were handled very well and without fuss. Oh and sorting out some excursion tickets. Aside from that we have been pretty low maintenance and haven't needed much else.

One thing I learned after the first butler experience was to ask him as soon as we met what he could do for you and what he would expect in the form of notice. I have always noticed they are reticent to offer details of what they can do, but always seem willing if you lead off with what you want. As mentioned above, he has 8-10 cabins to look after and that can have an effect on the service he gives to you, if he is spending a lot of time looking after someone else.

Phil

We asked our butler to assist us with unpacking, he just hung clothes on hangers while we were doing the same and I arranged the clothes in the closets. That was nice, it made unpacking so much faster. We also asked I think twice for shrimp cocktails, other than that he wasn't asked to do anything else extra.

We had the butler set up breakfast for us on our veranda several times on our last cruise, as well as lunch. It was very nice sitting on the veranda having breakfast as we traveled through the locks of the Panama Canal. He set up the table with linens and everything required for a full sit down breakfast and whatever we had ordered for breakfast was served. He then came back later and removed all the dishes when we were out. One thing we found nice was returning from a shore excursion and finding finger sandwiches and cookies in our room upon our arrival. these were part of the afternoon tea that they deliver to each room. As we were late seating it was also nice having the canapes or other options delivered while we were dressing for dinner.

We asked our butler to assist us with unpacking, he just hung clothes on hangers while we were doing the same and I arranged the clothes in the closets. That was nice, it made unpacking so much faster. We also asked I think twice for shrimp cocktails, other than that he wasn't asked to do anything else extra.

I never thought I would use the unpacking or packing benefit from a butler, but after our last cruise on the navigator... I said I will definitely use the butler to Pack on the last day.(when in a suite on Celebrity) I will put our dirty cloths in zipped space bags as we use them, so he doesn't have to deal with "the details"......

It took me SO Long to pack the last night and I certainly would have enjoyed having a cocktail somewhere on the ship better. ;)

In the past our butlers have served lunch to us and our guests as well as arranged parties in our suites. On one occasion we had unexpected guests and he managed to come up an extra bottle of welcome champagne at the last minute.

Phil is right, it is best to start out on the right foot by asking what your butler is able to do in assisting you to enjoy your cabin and what he needs from you in order to do that.

Susan

We have usually had exceptional butlers. I always write down what his off hours are so not as to disturb him when he has some time to rest. We often have a couple parties in our suite - sometimes with as many as 30 guests. We always give him at least a days notice. In addition to the wine we have ordered they have comped us extra greeting champagne and trays of cheese, shrimp and other goodies. It is always a joy to come back after dinner to find the room back to normal.

We are rather low maintenance with the exception of eating breakfast every morning in our suite.

One butler amazed me after I told him that I was unable to get booked into the specialty restaurant for a special evening. He told me he thought he might be able to do something about that. Within 10 minutes he was back with a written confirmation for the time I had desired.

I of course tip above above the recommended rate for the extra little things our butler has done to take care of us.

Archived