I know Irons Are Not Allowed but . . .

The prices that they charge for just pressing items is really very resonable. The turn around time is not that bad, either. If you leave it in the bag the night before, they will have it ready in the morning. If you do a search, you will find a price list that somebody posted a while ago. Just a thought.

I just take a spray bottle. Fill it with water when I get there, and mist my clothes and hang them up in the closet. Wrinkles come out great.

No need for and Iron. And it's refreshing if you do it right before you leave on a hot day. ;)

Works for us. And now my friends are doing it too.

I even use it at home. :o

Yes, you can bring a steamer. You can also bring electric curlers, a curling iron, a heating pad, etc..... I, too, have brought a small travel iron on numerous cruises, and no one has said a word. Last year, no mention was made of irons not being allowed. I understand that that has changed. In the past, all the written info said was that RCI did not supply irons.

I have taken a small travel iron with me before I knew they weren't allowed and left it sit out. Our cabin attendent never said a word about it.

Me too !!! I bring the little travel iron for shorts and tees. I send all of our dinner clothes out for pressing and the price is very reasonable.

can steamers be used? You know, the one that only shoots out steam to press clothes?

I am glad that you noted that irons are forbidden by RCI. As several posters stated above, a steamer is permitted. I can vouch that the shower works well for suitcase wrinkles in some (but not all) fabrics...

Bon voyage.

LL

Here are the prices, they do a great job :D

###

Are laundry services provided?

Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services. We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices.

Can someone point me to the documentation from RCCL that says travel irons are specifically forbidden? We usually take a small steamer, but recently purchased a new one that is steamer/iron in one unit. I have never seen official documentation that irons are forbidden.

Thanks,

Hypo

Can someone point me to the documentation from RCCL that says travel irons are specifically forbidden? We usually take a small steamer, but recently purchased a new one that is steamer/iron in one unit. I have never seen official documentation that irons are forbidden.

Thanks,

Hypo

You must not have looked hard enough. From Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy, which can be found by searching for the word "iron" on the Royal Caribbean website:

Prohibited Items Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

Also it states in your cruise documents that irons are not permitted. In addition, the captain on Liberty of the Seas announced during the muster drill that irons are not permitted. I would advise against bringing an iron onboard.

Karen

I have taken a small travel iron with me before I knew they weren't allowed and left it sit out. Our cabin attendent never said a word about it.

Yes, you can bring a steamer. You can also bring electric curlers, a curling iron, a heating pad, etc..... I, too, have brought a small travel iron on numerous cruises, and no one has said a word. Last year, no mention was made of irons not being allowed. I understand that that has changed. In the past, all the written info said was that RCI did not supply irons.

Do you honestly think the cabin steward is going to risk his/her tip by ratting you out?? Maybe he/she kept a closer eye on your cabin to make sure the iron wasn't left plugged in, etc. I can only hope so for the safety of the rest of the passengers. :mad:

It amazes me when people think that it's okay if THEY take an iron because they'll be careful with it. Personally, I don't want my life and that of my family to possibly depend on whether you've been careful with your iron. :mad:

Just like I'm sure you wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was in the cabin next to you with open candles burning all over the place. But hey, my cabin attendant never said a word! Does that make it okay? :mad:

can steamers be used? You know, the one that only shoots out steam to press clothes?

Hey evolution - it's me again - different thread this time! :p

I also found that Downey Wrinkle Release was a great product for getting out packing wrinkles on stuff like shorts, t-shirts, etc.

You can usually get it at any Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Even a travel size, but it's MUCH more economical to buy the regular size bottle.

All you do is spray it on the wrinkles, smooth it out with your hands, and let it dry. I was very skeptical about the product when I bought it, but it was unbelievable.

You just lightly spray the garment...no need to soak it with the stuff. It goes a lot farther than you think. I've even used the blowdryer to dry it more quickly when I'm in a hurry, and have also used the heat from the blow dryer to help smooth out wrinkles. The heat wasn't necessary for the product to work, but it did help a little, IMO.

I also bought a generic brand at Dollar General, was half the cost but I wasn't as impressed with it.

Have a great day!

Mine got taken away from me at the port in Bayonne. Then, I forgot to collect it when we disembarked.

Granny, out of curiosity, did they say why they were taking your steamer?

Was it one of the convertible steamer/iron types?

Am just really interested in why they did this so we're fully informed on the "can happens" out there.

Thanks! :)

We have a small travel steamer that we purchased from QVC several years ago that we always take with us. We have never had any problems. However, for our Mariner cruise, we did not even get it out of the suitcase, the steam from the shower worked just great.

Hey evolution - it's me again - different thread this time! :p

I also found that Downey Wrinkle Release was a great product for getting out packing wrinkles on stuff like shorts, t-shirts, etc.

You can usually get it at any Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Even a travel size, but it's MUCH more economical to buy the regular size bottle.

All you do is spray it on the wrinkles, smooth it out with your hands, and let it dry. I was very skeptical about the product when I bought it, but it was unbelievable.

You just lightly spray the garment...no need to soak it with the stuff. It goes a lot farther than you think. I've even used the blowdryer to dry it more quickly when I'm in a hurry, and have also used the heat from the blow dryer to help smooth out wrinkles. The heat wasn't necessary for the product to work, but it did help a little, IMO.

I also bought a generic brand at Dollar General, was half the cost but I wasn't as impressed with it.

Have a great day!

Hey, lol. I've been active on the board these past few days.

I've heard of the Downey Wrinkle Releaser but have never used it. I remember my first cruise about 7 years ago on the Monarch. This was long before I even knew about cruise boards and I was really really uninformed. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even realize I was suppose to leave a tip - I know my cabin steward probably talked about me for years. Anyway, my kids and I walked around with severely wrinkled clothes because I just assumed there were irons and ironing boards in each cabin. It was a disaster. I ended up eating in the Windjammer the entire cruise becasue my clothes were so wrinked AND I didn't know I was suppose to bring dress clothes, lol. Ugh, thank God for the internet!!

Do you honestly think the cabin steward is going to risk his/her tip by ratting you out?? Maybe he/she kept a closer eye on your cabin to make sure the iron wasn't left plugged in, etc. I can only hope so for the safety of the rest of the passengers. :mad:

It amazes me when people think that it's okay if THEY take an iron because they'll be careful with it. Personally, I don't want my life and that of my family to possibly depend on whether you've been careful with your iron. :mad:

Just like I'm sure you wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that I was in the cabin next to you with open candles burning all over the place. But hey, my cabin attendant never said a word! Does that make it okay? :mad:

I'm wondering why irons are not allowed but curling irons are. Honestly, I think a person is more likely to leave a curling iron on than an iron and the damage would be the same if it caught on fire.

I can vouch for Downey Wrinkle Release. We used it for my husband's Mess Dress Uniform( if you look at a picture of the shirt, it wrinkles;) ) for Formal nights and it came out perfect.

me personally, why bother packing something that is only going to leave less room for souveniers or shoes?! :D

When I was away at college and had the occasional wrinkley item, I just used my hair straightener or curling iron to iron. I know it's not conventional but I do not enjoy ironing (much to my mother's dismay) and this worked for me.:)

I'm wondering why irons are not allowed but curling irons are. Honestly, I think a person is more likely to leave a curling iron on than an iron and the damage would be the same if it caught on fire.

I've wondered about that too. I don't have a clue why, however. :confused:

Archived