ISO of a pre-cruise hotel in NORFOLK, VA. Thanks!

FlorenceItaly

Hi Marie:) When I had originally booked my Horizon Cruise for Bermuda..I found a room at the Marriott Waterside in Norfolk....no shuttle but near the port. You might want to try it...don't know what the price would be now (We got our room for 100.00)..would have been 50.00 a piece:) .

Waterside is near Nauticus (where the port is located)...and I have heard good things about the area as well!

That's exactly the hotel I am looking at. You got a great rate at $100.

I just got a call from a friend I know from TOPS(take off pounds sensibly) and she is booking the cruise solo, so she and I are going to share a hotel room, and cab, so that will help. I was becoming discouraged about the hotel rates, as I was not willing to consider a dive by myself...not sure whether we are going to do dive or nice, LOL. I am up for either. However, this "cheap" cruise is turning out to not be so cheap, LOL. Instead of booking the cheapie inside, I booked a CC. Final payment is not until Monday so I have some time to reconsider. There is no balcony, of course, but still thought the amenities sounded good, and I wanted to make sure the bed was comfortable...I am rambling...

Lois, back to the hotel...do you remember where or how you got the BEST rate? Thanks.

Marie

Hi:) You won't believe this...but I looked on the MARRIOTT Website...at that time I found a really excellent rate.....but remember, I had booked it a long time ago. (At least 5 months ago).

I understand what you mean about staying somewhere nicer, especially when you are going solo.

You know I had booked a room at a place on Las Olas....well, I change my mind LOL. I really wanted to stay on 17th Street....and I got a room at the Marriott Marina...its about 20.00 more than the other one.......but I feel like I am worth 20 bucks:D ........(didn't book through priceline) got it through MARRIOTT though.

Now, I have the room.....I may try Priceline for a 3 Star in FLL...it would be Embassy Suites or Marriott.....if I can get one...I will cancel my direct booking LOL

make sense?

Makes perfect sense :). People have great success with Priceline. Have you started bidding yet? Let me know how it works for you.

The best rate for Marriott I have been able to find is on the Marriott site, and a few others...$119..$133 total with tax...at least now I am able to only pay 1/2 that, instead of the whole amount. I will let my friend decide whether we go nice or dive, LOL. And, I feel fortunate to have help with the cab fares too. I am still agonizing a bit on whether I should keep the CC or not. Dh says keep it..he's such a gem.

Marie

Marie, I would think your girlfriend would prefer a nicer place...nobody wants to stay at a dive;) The price for the Marriott on their site is 89.00..with taxes it is 98.00........the original price on Las Olas was 70.00+tax.

I tried Priceline for 55.00...it told me if I add 15.00 it would accept the bid...well, I am going to wait till the end of the week and see if accepts my lower bid.......will let you know what happens.

Oh You are getting a Suite on the cruise? WOW...you go girl:D

I am hoping she does. She is not someone I know real well, that is why I will leave it up to her. I myself, would love the Marriott, but if we go dive, well, extra $$ saved.

Well, it's not really a suite..as the Horizon doesn't even have balconies, but it is a CC..but same size as the other inside and outside staterooms, I believe, just has some amenities...especially the pillowtop mattress...we'll see..after Monday, it is a done deal. The CC was $345 more than the lowest inside category, which on one hand is not alot, but on the other hand is..you know when you think of tips and drinks, etc....I also figured I would never find this rate again, solo for 12 nights.

I would think $55 would get you the Marriott or Embassy suites.

Marie

ExaltHim (and I certainly do), I just stayed at the Sheraton in June the night before my Cruise-to-Nowhere on Carnival. I got it thru Priceline at a rate of $45 plus taxes and fees for a total of $57 (and this was when their Harborfest was going on) It was an absolutely gorgeous hotel! The rooms must have recently been renovated because they looked brand new (this was a family reunion cruise and I booked 5 rooms-all were gorgeous). We drove there and wanted to keep our cars parked there so we asked the hotel if they had a shuttle to the pier (we could see the ship from our balcony). They said that they could take us in the hotel van, but weren't sure about picking us up. But it really was only a few blocks away (and a cab ride probably wouldn't be more than ten bucks!) My brother eventually kept his car parked there and WALKED to the pier (the rest of us chickened out and parked at the cruise parking lot and let them shuttle us. We probably would have made out better keeping our car there-same price-$10/day I think? We could have had the hotel take us and a cab bring us back, and would have avoided the crowds of people taking the parking lot buses to the pier) Anyway, as I'm sure you know, you're not guaranteed the Sheraton with priceline. We drove past one of the other hotels in the same category (it didn't look as grand, though). I'm not sure if the shuttle van goes to the airport, though. Hope this info helps.

Thank you so much for sharing about the Marriott. You got a wonderful deal through priceline. We did book on our own because we didn't want to take any chances on priceline with this particular trip. I have used priceline in the past and have been very pleased. Yes, I think I read where the rooms were redone. Thanks so much for sharing your firsthand experience. I am very excited now.

Marie

Marie, please note that I changed the name from Marriott to Sheraton (I got so excited to see someone ask a question about Norfolk that I forgot the name of my hotel. I had to go look at my hotel review on the BFT website.) Sorry.

Archived