When did Baked Alaska parade start and on what ship?

Hi

I have been doing some research into Baked Alaska - and the parade that seems so traditional.

While I have found lots of references to recipes and origins of the dessert itself, the history of the parade through the dining room on the second last night of a cruise seems to be shrouded in mystery.

Can any Cruise Critic enlighten me - when did the tradition start, on what cruise line, when, etc.?

Thanks

Les.

Hi

I have been doing some research into Baked Alaska - and the parade that seems so traditional.

While I have found lots of references to recipes and origins of the dessert itself, the history of the parade through the dining room on the second last night of a cruise seems to be shrouded in mystery.

Can any Cruise Critic enlighten me - when did the tradition start, on what cruise line, when, etc.?

Thanks

Les.

Great question!! When i read in a cruise book that baked Alaska was a tradition on cruise ships, I thought it was FISH!!:D Later I read somewhere that it was a dessert! Looking forward to the answer to this question!!

I cannot answer the when it started but usually served on the last night of the cruise or last Formal night.

Some ship do not do this anymore....if you have set dining times then it will probably be served.

I don't know when it started but I sure wish it would end. :mad: I put it just slightly above the most annoying restaurant "tradition" both ashore and afloat....that being the tradition of gathering up all the waiters (who should be attending to the diners), and singing Happy Birthday. While ashore I refuse to go into any restaurant that does so.

OK...off the complaint desk.

Sorry, can't answer your question on when it started, however, we had it on the Mardi Gras on the last formal night. We also had it on the Glory. Those are the only 2 times I've seen the Baked Alaska dance. It is very good -- would like to have it again sometime!!!:)

I remember the Baked Alaska deal on the Norway in 1989 so it was way before then. The only thing I would ask my wife to do on cruises was to give me her Baked Alaska to add to mine. Boy, that was good. Now I'm hungry.

Hi

Thanks

Les.

Great question and I hope someone can come up with the answer. My first cruise was on NCL's Sunward II in the mid 80's and they were doing it then. It was pretty neat back in those days as they turned off all of the lights in the dining room and had lit candles on each tray as the waiters came out of the kitchen with them.

Tanker 4

I remember the Baked Alaska deal on the Norway in 1989 so it was way before then. The only thing I would ask my wife to do on cruises was to give me her Baked Alaska to add to mine. Boy, that was good. Now I'm hungry.

We had the Baked Alaska parade on our first cruise - 1981 South Pacific on Sitmar's Fairstar. I don't recall it on our latest cruise - Emerald Princess, April 11, 2007.

Probably goes back much longer than my first cruise.....'87. On the Carnival Festivale out of San Juan. Yes, the lights were off, the the waitstaff paraded through the dining room with flaming Baked Alaska balanced on their heads. What a sight!

I haven't seen this in many years, as understandably it's a fire hazard. None of the lines still do this, do they???:eek:

I haven't seen this in many years, as understandably it's a fire hazard. None of the lines still do this, do they???:eek:

If I remember correctly, on the Glory cruise in 2003 that had the Baked Alaska parade, they did not dim the lights and they were not lit. But back in 1987 they sure dimmed the lights, and had them blazing! I forgot, but you are correct that they carried them on their heads!

Not sure when it started, but I have read that the cruise lines stopped doing the Parade of Baked Alaska's because it is considered a fire hazard. I think all table-side flaming desserts have stopped. :(

SeeBee, I'm with you.

When they all come out with food on their heads and everyone claps and acts all goofy, I just feel mortified. I think it's humiliating.

I've worked in the vacation industry in the past and at the end of the week long stay (all inclusive resort) the staff did a stage show type of thing about how much we loved them and would miss them. WE HATED DOING IT. Sure, some of the vacationers were fabulous and fun and we've kept in touch, but for the most part we just wanted to finish up and get to bed! hahaha!!

SeeBee, I'm with you.

When they all come out with food on their heads and everyone claps and acts all goofy, I just feel mortified. I think it's humiliating.

I've worked in the vacation industry in the past and at the end of the week long stay (all inclusive resort) the staff did a stage show type of thing about how much we loved them and would miss them. WE HATED DOING IT. Sure, some of the vacationers were fabulous and fun and we've kept in touch, but for the most part we just wanted to finish up and get to bed! hahaha!!

LOL! Reminds me of the end of the movie "Dirty Dancing" where everyone is lined up on the stage singing!! :D

I don't know when it started but I sure wish it would end. :mad: I put it just slightly above the most annoying restaurant "tradition" both ashore and afloat....that being the tradition of gathering up all the waiters (who should be attending to the diners), and singing Happy Birthday. While ashore I refuse to go into any restaurant that does so.

OK...off the complaint desk.

We've enjoyed cruising to "elite" with Princess and look forward to the yummy treat the parade brings to the dining tables.:cool: The staff enjoys having fun and serving us even if it is for tips.:D Let the festivities begin.;) IMHO. Paul & Trudi in San Diego:)

The dish you are referring to was originally called omelette a la norvegienne. It was allegedly invented soon after ice cream was invented in the late 1700's. Thomas Jefferson served it in the White House during his presidency.

Delmonicos Restaurant in NYC started calling it Baked Alaska after the USA purchased the Alaska Territory from Russia in 1876.

The dish probably started appearing on ships right after they started installing freezers on ships over 100 years ago.

I do remember this on our cruise on the Carnival Destiny this past Feb. No dimmed lights and nothing on fire, haha. They just brought it over to each table and showed it too us. I did enjoy it though and now I want it, haha.

I was on my first cruise at 21, in 1972 and then again in 74 on the Fairsea and Fairwind.....

Baked Alaska......Lights dimmed and the waiter paraded around the dining room.......

Seems this takes it earlier than the other posters can remember.....OMG, that makes me really old doesn't it? hahahaha

Archived