Am I nuts? We just Booked...

We had planned to Cruise in May/June 2006 for my 40th. My B-day is early May, we couldn't actually be on the ship for the day, but it would be close ! Well this morning I've finally had it and can't wait that long so I booked Brilliance (not Venice) for Oct 3, 2005 got an E2 on the hump for $2,000 pp. As we're doing this 7 months early, we'll be short a few dollars from the original plan and doing RCI will save us some money, it was $500 pp cheaper than Millenium.

What do you think? should I have waited for Millenium? On the Celebrity site, it wanted $3,099 pp for the late September cruise, that outrageous.

I guess it depends on what is important to you. Have you cruised Celebrity before? Do you like what RCCL offers? I was on the Zenith about 8 years ago, and while I always have a great time on a cruise, I didn't notice much difference from any other cruise, with the exception of the ship's decor, which was lovely and more contemporary than other ships. I really should go back and do another Celebrity cruise, because one experience is not enough to form a solid oppinion. On the other hand, I have been on several RCCL ships in the past two years and while I like the ships, entertainment and service, I find the food average and lacking in some areas, with nothing being really outstanding. I know this is subjective. Having said all this, I booked the Brilliance for next June doing the Greek Isles itinerary. I decided on this one for the itinerary, and convenience of going in and out of Barcelona, and then also because of price. For right now, it's the best deal out there. Final payment isn't due until February, so if something I like better comes along, I can always change.

Neither of us have cruised with Celebrity before. We've cruised with RCI twice, Rhapsody and Splendour. One of the things that I'm really trying to be conscious of is not cramming too much into one trip. Our vacation this year was too much. We weren't rested at all by the time we got home. What I really like about the Brilliance trip is the last four days....Santorini, At Sea, Naples, at Sea. Santorini we're just planning on wandering around by ourselves, two sea days and then Naples where we are just planning a leisurely day on Capri. That's a nice way to wrap up a cruise in the Med.

As for the food, I think these days it's very hit and miss. Everyone was raving about Celebrities food and then the reviews started saying it was awful. I really don't think you can win! I'll have to think on it somemore. Thanks for you input.

We did the Med cruise last summer on Celebrity Mellenium. We got a great rate ($1950/pp for concierge class) and had the best trip of our life. The food was great as were our fellow cruisers. I went to the Baltic area in May on RCI's new ship Jewel of the Seas. The food was fine although not quite as classy as Millie's but really not that much different and the people were just as nice. Personally, I would go with which ever one of these two has the best price.

We are booked for October 3, 2005 on the Brilliance also. After having friends who visited Europe in July and August say hot it got when they were there we opted for the fall. Food, like someone else said is subjective. They can’t please everyone. We don’t let that bother us as we bring our own spices. Shows, RCCL has some excellent ones especially their production shows and ice shows. It’s all in what you are looking for. Cheaper isn’t always the way to go. The October 3 itinerary is awesome. Seems like the sea days are just in the right places. We especially like the last day being a sea day. Sit back, relax and reminisce. What a wonderful way to end a vacation of a lifetime.

I have never cruised with Clebrity, but do know first hand that Brilliance is a beautiful ship and well run. The food is o.k. considering how many meals they have to put out they do fine. You'll be in Italy!! You will have many opportunities to have great meals while at port. There is so much to see and do that the food on board should be secondary.

The weather is as subjective as the food. I heard how hot it would be, we were there the end of July into August, and we were pleasantly surprised at what Europe considers HOT. We come from So Cal. and I felt like I was home. A little humidity here and there, but we felt blessed by the weather after all we had heard.

Enjoy!

Becky

There is another alternative...Millennium is sailing on October 13th. But hits Rome on a Sunday, is that bad? what I really liked about the RCI Cruise is it left on Monday and finished on a Friday, leaving the weekends for travelling. The cost for a CC Cabin on Millennium is $200 us per person more.

I'm sure not matter the cruise line, you will have a great time. However, the rates on any cruise line's website are going to be much much higher than what you can purchase. If you really want to do the Millie, try cheapertravel.com They don't beat my TA, but not by much $20/pp higher. Rates are great.

We have sailed Celebrity and really enjoy it.

Susana :)

I'm sure not matter the cruise line, you will have a great time. However, the rates on any cruise line's website are going to be much much higher than what you can purchase. If you really want to do the Millie, try cheapertravel.com They don't beat my TA, but not by much $20/pp higher. Rates are great.

We have sailed Celebrity and really enjoy it.

Susana :)

Thanks for the info... I was checking Celebrity's site merely for comparison. I've booked with an Internet Only firm.

We are booked for October 3, 2005 on the Brilliance also. After having friends who visited Europe in July and August say hot it got when they were there we opted for the fall. Food, like someone else said is subjective. They can’t please everyone. We don’t let that bother us as we bring our own spices. Shows, RCCL has some excellent ones especially their production shows and ice shows. It’s all in what you are looking for. Cheaper isn’t always the way to go. The October 3 itinerary is awesome. Seems like the sea days are just in the right places. We especially like the last day being a sea day. Sit back, relax and reminisce. What a wonderful way to end a vacation of a lifetime.

CruiseJunky, I must have mis-read your other post. I thought you were booked on the October 15, 2005 Med cruise. Sorry we're not going to be neighbors after all. :(

Donna

It's a good job I'm female, I can get away with being Fickle :) We've changed our cruise...we're now booked on the October 13th Barcelona to Venice cruise on Millenium...Yeah!!! We booked a CC for $2,200 pp. Ticks me a bit that we could have gotten it cheaper if we'd booked when they first came out, but oh well! So now, I get to cruise 7 months earlier and keep the same itinerary :) :) :)

Archived