St Petersburg tours for kids

cruise_w_kids

We are on a Baltics cruise this August with extended family, but are the only ones with little kids (DDs will be 3.5 years and 5 months at sailing). My siblings and cousins have kids ages 7 - 12. I'm looking forward to pleasant wandering days and using public transportation in the Scandinavian ports, but want to book a private tour in St Petersburg for a number of reasons (comfort, visas, safety, etc.).

Has anyone done a Baltics cruise with young children? How did it work for you? Do you have recommendations for tours/sights in St Petersburg or other ports? Do you have recommendations on gear to take, i.e. car seats, strollers, front carriers?

Thanks for your help!

First of all, everyone will need a visa in Russia, even the infant. The only way to avoid the whole visa thing is to either book a ship's tour or go with a private company like Red October. You cannot so much as step off the ship without a visa---not even to take a walk.

To be honest, St Petersburg is not a child friendly place. I've been there three times and I've been trying to think of anything that would work for children as young as yours, and I cannot come up with anything. There are tons of steps to get into and around just about every tourist site so that's a hassle with strollers. Places like the castles and museums are terribly crowded and you could be standing outside for a very long time just waiting to get in---especially in August when most of Europe is on vacation and that will make things even more crowded. Even taking private tours won't help much in the area of waiting in line to get into the most popular sites. Working elevators are non-existant, if they even have elevators. Another thing is the lack of air conditioning. Walking around for hours in places like Catherine's Palace, Pushkin and the Hermitage will be uncomfortable for young children in hot and humid buildings. Car seats are a waste in Russia, as there is no way easy way to anchor them in their old cars and vans. Sorry to be so discouraging, but I really need to be honest with you on this city.

If you stop in Copenhagen, a great place for kids is Tivoli Gardens. It has great places for kids to play and run and places for parents to sit and people watch. You have to see the statue of the Little Mermaid, which is right in the port area, if you dock in the city port rather than the cargo ship port. The Vasa Museum in Stockholm is another great place for kids. Lots of old ships and not just the same old paintings that will bore kids. If Olso is on your itinerary, that's just a great walking city, but not much in the way not-to-miss sites.

We went on this trip 2 summers ago when the kids were 10 (son) & 12 (daughter). Our 10 year old liked the Fountains at Peterhof the best of all that we saw in St. Petersburg - outdoors, wandering around. Both kids liked the flea markets at the major attractions - e.g., Church of the Spilled Blood.

While we didn't do it, I would recommned trying the hydrofoil ride from the Hermitage to Peterhof. It looks like fun. A canal/neva tour in the city is also a good idea with kids.

A short Hermitage visit is managable with kids. It's almost preferable not to do research and that way you won't be dissapointed in what you miss.

As was recommended, I would work with someone like Red October to put together a custom tour.

Other kid friendly fun stuff on the Baltic trip -

Hop On Hop Off bus - most ports

Speed boat ride - Helsinki for us

Theme parks/rides - Copenhagen, Stockholm

Ski Jump - Olso

Canal tour - Copenhagen, Amsterdam

???

Hi, I have not been yet, but we go to SP in one month with DS who is 2 yrs old.

I have booked a private tour with Denrus. I sent them a brief with minimal interior time, the hydrofoil, ride on a tram, family restaurants, gardens for him to run in, the fountains at Peterhof, etc. They constructed the tour around this and are providing a car seat.

I also sent the same brief to Alla who would also happily contstruct a tour with time for DS to run around etc and see similar things. She was very helpful but needed us to bring the car seat which I didn't want to do if poss'.

The comment about the old cars I don't think applies as Alla & Denrus (and I guess RO) use new-ish air con mercedes vans or similar.

The good thing with private tours is even if it is a nightmare after 10 mins inside a place, you just say, well let's get out, and no harm done. Also they can arrange early visits into places so I guess (hope) less humid/hot and shorter lines.

I am taking the stroller, but I know we won't be able to use it in the hermitage etc due to the steps. However, it is one you can fold up small enough that you can carry it on your shoulder, or I am planning to check it at the entrance or leave it in the car at places with steps. I also have reins (sorry if this terminology is incorrect - I'm a Brit and that's what we call them here, I have heard them referred to as a leash perhaps in the US?) for DS so he doesn't have to be in the stroller all the time, and so I can keep him in check at the museums. I'm not a huge fan of those in normal circumstances, but I think it's appropriate in that sort of situation. I am also taking books he likes and his favourite cuddly toys so he has something to play with if he finds the interiors (even though for example we are spending max 45 mins in the Hermitage) too boring. If I was taking a 5 month old I'd take a Baby Bjorn or similar for the places with steps.

While I have yet to experience it, and while I do not expect it to be a beach-type holiday or similar, I am really looking forward to it. I hope that gives you some ideas (and hope!),

CT

Thanks for both the honest and hopeful information. I'm hoping we will be exploring St Petersburg with my older nieces (8, 10 & 12), who keep my 3 year old entertained easily. She's too old for reins (I have heard that British term before, I think we call it a harness in the States), and I'm going to try and acclimatize her to museums here in Seattle before we go. The only variable will be her awareness of the time of day - it's 12 or 13 hours different from home!

CT - it would be great to hear how your trip goes when you get back. We will be bringing a car seat for at least the 5 month old on the plane to Copenhagen, so I won't mind taking it on a tour.

Molly

As an elementary school teacher, I am afraid a lot of the typical tourist sites (museums, fortresses, palaces) woul be lost on little kids. But I DO highly recommend Peterhof...like a HUGE park with fountains everywhere and some area set up for kids to play in the water...it was most impressive. Also, in the park across the street there were pony rides when we were there.

By the way, there were four of us and we set up a tour through Alla Tours and they were very good about altering their plans to match our needs (like when we got too bushed and needed a break).

• 3 weeks later...
We are on a Baltics cruise this August with extended family, but are the only ones with little kids (DDs will be 3.5 years and 5 months at sailing). My siblings and cousins have kids ages 7 - 12. I'm looking forward to pleasant wandering days and using public transportation in the Scandinavian ports, but want to book a private tour in St Petersburg for a number of reasons (comfort, visas, safety, etc.).

Has anyone done a Baltics cruise with young children? How did it work for you? Do you have recommendations for tours/sights in St Petersburg or other ports? Do you have recommendations on gear to take, i.e. car seats, strollers, front carriers?

Thanks for your help!

We are also doing a Baltics/Russia cruise in August (8/05 on Jewel of the Seas) with our 5-year old. We plan to go independent in most ports, and focus on kid-friendly activitys like Tivoli etc. as suggested by another poster, mostly so we are not stuck on a tour bus. But for St. Petersburg I think we will book a private tour. I like the idea of a canal/river tour and Peterhof, and I don't want to completely miss out on the Hermitage. Any suggestions posted here would be gratefully received!

We are also doing a Baltics/Russia cruise in August (8/05 on Jewel of the Seas) with our 5-year old. We plan to go independent in most ports, and focus on kid-friendly activitys like Tivoli etc. as suggested by another poster, mostly so we are not stuck on a tour bus. But for St. Petersburg I think we will book a private tour. I like the idea of a canal/river tour and Peterhof, and I don't want to completely miss out on the Hermitage. Any suggestions posted here would be gratefully received!

Just keep the visit to the Hermitage short (2-3 hours) and go on a private tour. If you are on a private tour, first go online and create a list of what you want to see. Sort the list and give it to your guide before going in or even send it in advance by e-mail. They can tell you how long it would take.

Link: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/index.html

Archived