Anchorage to Whittier: Limo or Train?

JeannetteC

I'm trying to find the best way to get to the ship in the morning. There's a 10AM train that costs $50pp plus we'd have the costs of a taxi to the train station and from the train station to the pier. Anyone know what these taxis cost?

We could hire a limobus from Aurora Limo for $50pp that would take us from the hotel to the pier but the limobus doesn't leave until 1:30 and that's a bit late. Also, the limobus won't go unless they have 6 people so we'd be gambling with the numbers for several weeks.

Should I take the train or does someone know of another limo or bus service leaving earlier? Thanks!

You could check with the cruise line (Carnival/Princess) and take their bus transfer - not sure what time they start but probably earlier then the limo line. You would probably just take a taxi to the airport or Egan center and pick up cruise line bus transfer from there.

We're taking the 10 AM train to Whittier and I was concerned about schlepping my luggage from the train station to the cruise terminal in Whittier (1/2 mile, according to one recent poster). I contacted folks at the city of Whittier about this and got three responses!

The guy at the city said the distance between the train and ship was about 300 feet. Although I wonder if he was referring to train platform Princess uses, which is different from the regular AK RR train.

A woman from the Chamber of Commerce replied that the distance was "a few blocks" but that there is a company who will transfer people and their luggage to the ship terminal: Alaska Pure Nature Tours and Trollies (907-440-3497).

Finally, someone from Princess contacted me and said the distance was about 1/3 of a mile. He also said that even if we weren't using a Princess transfer to Whittier, we could still drop our bags off at the Egan Center in Anchorage, making sure they had Princess luggage tags, and Princess would take care of the schlepping from Anchorage all the way to our cabin door. He said the Princess buses start rolling out of the Egan Center at 12:30 PM.

Looks like there are plenty of options out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I left my luggage at Captain Cook (with tags) and they made sure my luggage was put in with everyone who had booked the hotel through Princess and had Princess transfers.

It was in my cabin a few hours after I checked in.

• 8 years later...

We booked the train from Anchorage to Whittier independently last year for our Princess cruise. (We found discount coupons in the Northern Lights coupon book, so that may be an option for you)

Even though we hadn't booked the transfer through Princess, they took our bags (with the cruise tags on them) at the train station and the next time we saw them was in our cabin several hours later. We had even taken the early train so we could fit in a PWS cruise before boarding the ship. Best decision we made! :)

My vote would be for the train. It was a cool experience and pretty hassle free. From what I remember, the train station in Whittier is a stone's throw from the ship terminal, but it didn't really matter since we didn't have our luggage :) No taxi needed...

Best of luck in your planning! :D

When you take the AK RR from Anchorage to Whittier, the first thing you do is check your luggage at the station. It is transported by truck to the ship for you. Just keep you carry-on luggage with you on the train. The station in Whittier is across the street from your ship - 5 minute walk.

We booked the train on our own and those who booked the transfer through Princess were on the same train.

Darcy

It's really easy to just call the cruiseline or the TA you used and ask to add Transfers to your costs.

We got there three days early to "do" the Kenai, returned the rental car and got delivered to the airport where we checked in. In just five minutes we were on a bus to Whittier. It was smooth.........the next time we saw our luggage was IN the cabin. YEA!! Or, maybe it was AT the door.......

too much to remember.;)

Archived