venice port to hotel

It depends on where your hotel in venice is. If you are staying on the island, then I would suggest that you take a water taxi to your hotel. Last summer, we had a taxi that took us to a piazza near our hotel and he told us that we had to cross a bridge and walk down a block to our hotel. Not a problem for us, if you know exactly where you are going. It can be very confusing.

Also it depends on how much luggage you have and how portable it is. There are lots of bridges with steps that you need to negotiate so we have always used a water taxi.

When you retrieve your luggage in the Port Building, there is a desk where you can pay and order your water taxi. Otherwise, you can either catch a land taxi or walk to Piazzale Roma where you can find the Vapourettos or take a taxi to the Stazione to catch a train.

Jennie

We just returned from our cruise. Price of Water (driver lied and said the water was too low to take us to the hotel) taxi from airport to San Marco Square 90 euro, price from hotel (on a canal) to ship 100 euros. Very expensive but worth it for us since we split the cost. Beware, you are at the mercy of the driver versus your knowledge of the city(ie. how was I able to dispute the water level?)

There are four of us disembarking in Venice and going to the Danieli hotel (next to St. Mark’s square and on the canal) with a fair amount of luggage. What is our best option and what should we expect to pay. I currently have a taxi booked through the hotel.

We just got back and 6 of us with alot of luggage took a taxi from the pier to Locanda Orseolo (a small canal) for 120E. When we left it was just the two of us and we were charged 100E to the airport. Hope this info helps.

We shared a water taxi from the ship to our hotel - the Metropole - which is next door to the Danielli and it cost each couple 70Euros. When we took the water taxi from our hotel to the airport it cost nearer 100Euros. The girl at the desk in the terminal organizing the water taxi bookings organized the sharing with another couple otherwise it would have cost us more.

It was the only way to go being our hotel was on the canal plus it would have been impossible with all our luggage to use the local transport.

Jennie

We are also staying at the Locando Orseolo but we will need to get there from the airport, what taxi company did you use to the airport and did they get you from the canal entrance?

Thanks for the helpful information and I hope that your trip was wonderful.

Cheryl

We are also staying at the Locando Orseolo in September...would like this same information

Also how was your stay at the LO....have they resolved the water problems ??

Thanks

Michele

The water taxi company was Venezia. And they took us right to the water window of the locanda. Everything you have read or heard about Locanda Orseolo is true. You feel totally pampered. The even provide robes and slippers. Francesco and GiGi are the most charming and handsome men you will ever meet. Of course my husband preferred Barbara. The one wing is still shut down but I got the impression that all the problems will be corrected by years end. If you didn't already know about the water problems you would not be aware of it during your stay. I know you will enjoy your time there. We can't wait to go back.

Thanks so much for your quick response. That is the taxi company we planned on using as well, but I was not sure that they would take us to the canal entrance. I was not looking forward to schlepping all that luggage.

Hope you are settling in.

Cheryl

We just got back and 6 of us with alot of luggage took a taxi from the pier to Locanda Orseolo (a small canal) for 120E. When we left it was just the two of us and we were charged 100E to the airport. Hope this info helps.

englean1, has the water problem been solved at the hotel yet? We're staying there in Sept., hope you had a great time and enjoyed the chocolate crepes.

Wow, the 120E is a bunch for a taxi. There are just the two of us, maybe a gondola with our luggage to the Locanda from the ship would be best.

Wow, the 120E is a bunch for a taxi. There are just the two of us, maybe a gondola with our luggage to the Locanda from the ship would be best.

We too just returned from our stay at the hotel. Gondolas do no go to or from the port or airport. My best advice is to have a good map for directions if you get off at the San Marco stop. Do not rely on advice from taxi drivers, believe me I know!!! The first lie we were told is the water was too low for a hotel drop-off. How could I argue that, since I don't know what is really high or low. The second lie was that the hotel was only two lefts turns away once we were dropped off. Luckly, I knew that was wrong! The third lie was that the driver had called the hotel as I had asked, to inform them would be arriving and may need their assistance. The hotel was wonderful!

Thanks England1. We too will be going to the Locanda Orseolo from the Maritime pier. When you get off the ship and look for the Water taxi desk inside the terminal, is there just one or many? How do you find "one" to take you directly to the Orseolo down the narrow canal?

We too are sharing the WT which helps on the price.

Nanatravel

I didn't see a booth inside the terminal for Venezia. Make sure you get a luggage cart from where you leave the terminal because it's a bit of a walk to the small building where Venezia is located. We just followed the signs (I think they said private transportation or something like that) until we found Venezia. You order your taxi there where they assign you a taxi by number and then you have to walk down to the end of long pier where the taxi pulls up and someone calls out your number. We paid the taxi driver not the people in the building. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing but it's more info than we had when we got off the ship. As far as getting to the airport we had an early flight so GiGi called for a taxi the night before we left and it actually arrived about 10 minutes early. We had to wolf down our delicious breakfast. You will love your stay at Locanda Orseolo.

We just returned from Venice where we spent 3 nights post-cruise. We had a water taxi pick us up right outside our hotel - Pensione La Calcina which, by the way, we loved - to take us to the airport. On arrival, at the airport dock, we realised that we diidn't have a 1 Euro coin to get a luggage trolley and it was quite a hike to the terminal. Of course it would have still been a hike with a trolley but a bit easier. Apparantly there used to be a shuttle from the dock but, as we were told at our Hotel, this doesn't seem to be there now!

We had a morning flight out of Venice but, had we been going later in the day, we would have taken the Alligulana boat from outside our hotel to the same dock at the airport as the water taxis. The cost for that would have been Euro 12 per person as against the 90Euros we paid for the taxi.

It seems to me that the simplest way to get to the airport is by land taxi from Piazzale Roma or by Airport Land Bus from the same place. The problem though is getting to the Piazzale Roma from you hotel if you're not staying close by. Our hotel suggested taking the Vaporetta to the Piazzale Roma but we had a bit too much luggage to feel comfortable doing that. Next time, I'll travel a lot lighter!

We stayed at the Locanda Orseolo last November. Isn't it a wonderful Hotel.:)

We had a lot of luggage and we had no trouble taking the Vaporetto from the train station to St. Mark's Square. There was no way in heck I was paying 100 Euros for a water taxi.

Also, chances are that some people staying at your Hotel will be leaving on the same day as you to board a ship. Try to arrange to share a water taxi with 2 or 3 other couples. We did, and it cost 30 Euros per couple to go from the Locanda Orseolo directly to the cruise ship.

By the way, you will love crawling through the window to get into the water taxi. :D

Have a wonderful time.

Archived