Questions re Explorer

We're planning on taking our kids and the grandchildren on a cruise next year and it appears that, in order to coincide with school vacations, we'll be sailing to the Caribbean during the summer(2008).

For those that have been on Explorer recently , can you tell me what condition she's in - the last time we sailed on her was in 2001 and of course she was new and beautiful...have the rooms been well maintained?

What's the story with parking at Cape Liberty? How convenient is it? We are all New Yorkers and will simply drive to the pier. How much do they charge per day, or, like Manhattan is there a flat rate?

We're really looking forward to this as we all sailed on Explorer in 2001 and had a great time!

we were on the ship last Sept the week before they got the new bedding. The ship was wonderful and hooked us on RCCL. We will be sailing next Feb on her again.

The parking is great. 15$ a day and you prepay with either cash or credit card. We loved not having to fly or worry about luggage limits.

I just disembarked last week before she headed to Jersey. I don't know about the Jersey port. But the Explorer looks great. Check out my pics in my webshots link.

Wonderful photos of cabin 9690 and the aft balcony... I really enjoyed those as we have this cabin on Explorer April 25....

Did you have to ask for two loungers or were they there?

We had 8390 in Feb and had one lounger and two chairs and one table. We had 7388 in Dec and the balcony is larger even still and had the same. We had plenty of more room for another lounger on this one as well. I imagine you could ask for another if you so desired. We love those rear afts and love the corners.

She is in fantastic shape and always being maintained.

We're planning on taking our kids and the grandchildren on a cruise next year and it appears that, in order to coincide with school vacations, we'll be sailing to the Caribbean during the summer(2008).

For those that have been on Explorer recently , can you tell me what condition she's in - the last time we sailed on her was in 2001 and of course she was new and beautiful...have the rooms been well maintained?

What's the story with parking at Cape Liberty? How convenient is it? We are all New Yorkers and will simply drive to the pier. How much do they charge per day, or, like Manhattan is there a flat rate?

We're really looking forward to this as we all sailed on Explorer in 2001 and had a great time![/QUOte]Stellasue, there is an entire huge thread about the Explorer right here on the front page: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=493964

We're really looking forward to this as we all sailed on Explorer in 2001 and had a great time!

Explorer is still beautiful! We are looking forward to 2 more 12 day cruisesalready booked. My favorite ship so far.:)

Thanks for all the good news about Explorer. We ARE interested in those aft cabins - one question...in addition to the larger balcony, is the room longer that the regular balcony cabin??

Did you have to ask for two loungers or were they there?

From what the room attendant told me, the loungers weren't supposed to be there. The occupants a few cruises before mine brought them down from the pool deck. There was enough room for DW and I to both lay out. But we had to jockey the chairs around due to make room.

Excellent balcony for sunbathing. There is no cover.

BTW, you will love Marites. She was a very nice and cheerful room attendant.

Thanks for all the good news about Explorer. We ARE interested in those aft cabins - one question...in addition to the larger balcony, is the room longer that the regular balcony cabin??

No, the cabins are the same size as others in the same category on the sides of the ship. The one that is different is 1388/1688, because it is closer to square. It is larger than other D1 cabins, plus it has a pole for um, dancing. ;)

Anyone know if discount parking is available near the pier????

No where close. In fact, the actual loading area for the pier is nearly a mile off the roadway. Some people park at hotels in the Newark area that permit parking for travelers that are cruising or flying. They'll shuttle you over, but you'll have to catch a cab back, eliminating most cost savings from parking at the hotel in the first place.

There's a NJ Transit light rail line in the area too, but again, you'll be taking quite a hike to get to the terminal from the nearest station.

The ship is in great condition:) and yes, she is well maintained. 15.00 a day for parking at Cape Liberty paid when you park but it may have gone up or will go up by 2008. Just put Cape Liberty port NJ in search as they have a website for info concerning the port. They do have it down to a science at that port and keep everyone moving quickly. :)

Anyone know if discount parking is available near the pier????

None that I know of. Many people stay at the Newark Best Western for the Stay and Cruise Package. They pick you up at Newark Airport, take you to hotel, take you to port the next day, and take you back to airport when you come back. I've never stayed there but many CC members have and rate is about 160.00 and includes breakfast and shuttles. :) 15.00 per day at Cape Liberty prepaid.

Had we not known her age, we would have thought she was a new ship.

The cots were a little saggy, but I understand they installed new bedding. So of course we have to sail her again to check that out. :)

Archived