Bar Harbor Free Shuttle Questions??????

TomAndJane

I am a little confused by the free shuttle in Bar Harbor. The web site says that the shuttle if free but to get into Acadia National Park there is an entry fee of $20. Is that per person or family? "Rides on any Island Explorer bus are free, but entry into Acadia National Park is not. All bus riders traveling into Acadia National Park are required to obtain a Park entry permit for their family or group. Purchase a $20 entry permit or a $40 season pass at the information building near the Bar Harbor Village Green."

Secondly, I read that Bus Route Three doesn't go to Cadillac Mountain. I assume if we wanted to go there take Bus Route Four, correct?

Thirdly, how far of a walk is it from Sand beach to Thunder Hole????

Thanks a lot for your help,

Tom

I went back to the site and went to FAQ. From there I clicked onto Entrance Fees. I think it readd $20 for a car but $5 for an individual person whether they are walking, bicycling.

Hope someone can give us more information.

What I have in red comes directly from the shuttle bus website.... You are right. Hope someone will help!!!!

We have a National Park Pass - Golden Eagle I think it's called. This gets us into any National Park, so if you are a senior and have this pass, be sure to take it with you. They can be purchased at ANY National Park and are good for a lifetime. I think they cost $10 or $20 - don't quite remember as we are VERY senior and have had ours for a few years! If you are not a senior but plan to visit other US Natiional Parks, I believe there is a yearly pass you can buy.

I am a little confused by the free shuttle in Bar Harbor. The web site says that the shuttle if free but to get into Acadia National Park there is an entry fee of $20. Is that per person or family? "Rides on any Island Explorer bus are free, but entry into Acadia National Park is not. All bus riders traveling into Acadia National Park are required to obtain a Park entry permit for their family or group. Purchase a $20 entry permit or a $40 season pass at the information building near the Bar Harbor Village Green."

Secondly, I read that Bus Route Three doesn't go to Cadillac Mountain. I assume if we wanted to go there take Bus Route Four, correct?

Thirdly, how far of a walk is it from Sand beach to Thunder Hole????

Thanks a lot for your help,

Tom

Tom,

We did a fall foliage cruise last October and, like you, we were confused about the information for the Island Explorer in Bar Harbor. We boarded the bus right in town and were never asked to pay anything. The bus driver never mentioned an admission fee. We just got on the bus and followed one complete route ending in town at our starting point. Perhaps if we had gotten off the bus inside the park, we might have been asked to pay. It was a beautiful ride and our driver did a nice job of narrating the trip. Perhaps others have had different experiences on the bus but that was our experience.

I don't think any of the Island Explorer buses go to Cadillac Mountain. At least they did not last October.

Can't help you with your third question.

We thoroughly enjoyed Bar Harbor. It was delightful.

Beth

We bought the year pass into National Parks several years ago. It was $50 then, I'm not sure how much it is now. We went to several parks that year and it was definately worth it. We'll be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton this summer, so we may consider buying it again this year before our fall New England cruise.

Re: Senior passes----

Senior Pass - $10

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides lifetime access to, and use of, federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity fee. The Senior Pass also provides a 50% discount on some fees charged for facilities and services such as camping. The pass is non-transferable and generally does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

Re: Senior passes----

Senior Pass - $10

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides lifetime access to, and use of, federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity fee. The Senior Pass also provides a 50% discount on some fees charged for facilities and services such as camping. The pass is non-transferable and generally does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

You can buy these passes at any park usually and they are good forever.

Archived