Wheelchair rental

Cholly

We are taking my Mom on a cruise to Alaska in August. She has a Bone Marrow Disease and is getting weaker and weaker. I think I need to rent a wheelchair for her. Do I get that once I get on board or do I do that ahead of time?

Thanks for your help!

Cholly

you have a couple of choices. You can rent one at home and take it with you, but you risk airline damage. (If you do this, take it to the gate and have it gate checked) If your embarkation and disembarkation ports are different you might have to do that. If they are the same, you can rent one to be delivered to the ship and have it waiting for you. Princess will have the names of companies in their various ports that they work with. Princess themselves might rent them on board, but I am not sure. They used to say that their wheelchairs weren't available for 24/7 use, but that may have changed. Your TA can call them and find out for sure.

Good luck!!

My mother cruises with a "Scootie" that we got off of Craig's List. It has been wonderful for her to be independent onboard and on shore.

On one cruise at a tendered port, we borrowed a ship wheel chair rather than deal with taking the Scootie on the tender. The Pursers Desk (and the tender people) had no problem with us taking the ship wheel chair ashore. In fact they encouraged us to keep the wheel chair in the cabin for the entire cruise. The ship wheel chairs are certainly adequate, but if I were you I would ask around your neighbors and friends and see if anyone has a chair you could borrow. There are also companies where you can rent Scooties for a cruise.

Good luck!

Princess doesnt rent wheelchairs. I would suggest renting one thru carevacations. Usually they will have it waiting for you in your stateroom. You wont have to fly with it. The website is www.carevacations.com Even if Princess did let you use a wheelchair you wouldnt want it. They are in very poor condition.

I cruised in April and May with family members that used wheelchairs. On the Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess, we arranged the loan of a Princess wheelchair from the Pursers' Desk. There was no charge and we were permitted to use the chair during our port excursions as well as on ship. That said, I am not aware of any reservation system and Princess wheelchairs could be on an as-available basis.

While this addressed our on-board and port excursion needs, we used wheelchair assistance from the airlines to navigate the terminals.

Bob

We will be on the Diamond Princess. I don't think she will need a wheel chair all the time. I was just thinking it could sometimes be a long walk from one end of the ship to the other and it could take her a long time and sap her energy. I will contact Princess and "care vacations" to get more detailed infor. Thanks for all your help.

Archived