Travel Tips: 3-Ounce Rule

A friend who is a TSA examiner at Oakland says that fluids must be in original labelled 3 oz or less containers and all must fit in one one quart baggie per person going thru the checkpoint. How in the heck do they know what's actually in the labelled container, i asked? answer...of course they don't know, they could check...but seriously how would anyone know if your super fancy/expensive face cream was in el cheapo wally world 'face cream container'. Not even you. I guess my question is....when are manufacturers going to package things in 3 oz or less....some do, but several of my favorite products are in 3.5 oz containers. They go in checked now, triple baggied against leaks. (and just to be safe...squeeze some air out to allow for expansion).

and the weight limits......yikes. Chiffon will make a comeback for sure for formal wear;)

I think one of the issues is that many of the cheap plastic travel bottles that are designed to be refillable don't have the size on the bottle, so it's difficult for the screener to know that the bottle is the appropriate size, less than 3 oz. I haven't had any problem using "my own" bottles as long as the size is clearly marked ON the bottle. And of course, I don't fly with anything I couldn't live without in case that one particular screener says "No Way".;)

Flew last weekend in to and out of DC (National). Most all my liquids were NOT in original containers. They were in clear generic small bottles and I traveled with no problems. In fact, as I am writing this I realized I left my lip gloss in my purse, both coming and going, Also with no problem or question.

As for those who wonder why carry on – I’ve arrived at many destinations – and my luggage has not. The one time I put most everything through ( Copenhagen last summer for business ) I did not have luggage for 4 days. I did have most of my make up (perhpas it was prior to the ban) but no hair products and luckily traveled in a decent outfit ( gotta love that all black look) that took care of me for several days. I was caught drying underwear with the hair dryer each morning.

M

Archived