Travel Tips: 3-Ounce Rule

I just read an interesting article about carry-on toiletries & found a few good tips!

(Another tip mentioned in the comments was -Contact lens cases are awesome for travel. You can put enough eye cream, hair gel,foundation, whatever for at least a 3-4 day supply. Plus you can fit a lot of them in one quart size bag. And they are cheap.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travel Tips: Getting Around the 3-Ounce Rule

Posted by Leslie Baumann, M.D.

on Thu, May 17, 2007

I fly at least once a month - and I never want to check my bags. Trouble is, I have very dry, sensitive skin and cannot use hotel products.

So how do I limit myself to three-ounce bottles and fit everything in that (zip-top, quart-size) plastic bag we're limited to these days? Here are some tips I've learned to save my skin - and my time.

1. Yes, toothpaste counts. Put a travel size tube in your plastic bag to start.

2. Remember, the rule is that containers can't be larger than three ounces - so don't try to bring the remaining three ounces of a six-ounce shampoo bottle.

3. Your eye cream can double as a nighttime facial cream (that's what I do when I'm traveling). Similarly, a separate eye cream isn't absolutely necessary - just pat your regular moisturizer around your eye area. Let your products do double duty.

4. Look for stick foundation, rather than liquid, so your makeup doesn't take up valuable space in the plastic bag.

5. Bring lipsticks and lip balms instead of glosses to save even more space.

6. Avoid liquid eyeliners and eye shadows - stick to powders to avoid problems.

7. This is the one time you will hear me recommend a bar soap for the face (but look for the gentlest you can find). These don't need to go in the bag.

8. Save your favorite perfume samples or visit a department-store perfume counter and pick some up before you leave. They're a huge space saver.

9. Going to be outdoors during your trip? Buy sunscreen when you arrive. Not only will you save precious room in your luggage, you'll ensure that the sunscreen is at maximum potency (unlike years-old tubes you might have lying around the house).

10. One thing you should never skimp on when flying is hydration. Look for small spray bottles of water that you can mist on your face during the flight. Follow that up with moisturizer, and you'll lock in moisture to fight the effects of airplane air.

Finally, take inexpensive, small items that you won't mind leaving behind. Flying internationally? Think of it as freeing up room to shop the duty-free stores on your way home.

I always buy color cosmetics and perfumes duty-free - it's cheaper, and your purchases aren't subject to the liquid and gel rules when you buy them after you've cleared security. (Charles de Gaulle in Paris and the airport in Vancouver, Canada, have the best duty-free shops, in my opinion)

Wishing you great skin!

Remember when buying your souvineers that snow globes have liquid in them. We didn't even think about them on our last trip and DD(10) is a collector of snow globes from places we travel to. I packed them in our carry on to ensure they wouldn't break. Needless to say we got stopped by security. Luckily none of them were over 3 oz and security gave us ziplock baggies to put them in. This was the third time on our last trip her smuggling almost got us in trouble. On the way down to Florida she put a large bottle of sparkling lotion in her backpack without telling me. I didn't know anything about it until we got there and she pulled it out of her back pack. We made sure that was put in the checked luggage on the way home. Then coming off the cruise ship we pass a sign saying no fruit could be taken off the ship. She looks at me and then pulls an apple out of her back pack right before we go through security. You really got watch these kids now days.:rolleyes:

I love to collect snow globes as well. I am already planning on carrying some bubble wrap with me when I cruise next month. Of course, if they are in a box, so much the better! But, if not, then it will be bubble wrap and then wrapped in clothes...and cosssing my fingers that it will come home in one piece!

Re the contact lens case, the rule is that liquids and gels must be in original packaging, unless that has recently changed.

I've flown many times since these regulations came out and have never been questioned for using containers other than the original packaging (I use the Nalgene travel bottles/jars in various sizes for most of my "standard" items like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc.)

But remember this! If you buy something liquid in a duty free store and make it back to the states... and you go through customs and exit the "secure" area, only to have to turn around and go though another security gate to catch another plane, you cannot have that item with you. It will confiscated. I brought 2 bottles of wine home from Bolivia was handed them on the plane before takeoff and I stuck them in my backpack. When we got to Miami, we cleared custons, got our luggage, left the area to catch another flight in another part of the terminal. We left our luggage at the luggage place outside customs to be sent off. The we went through the terminal to another security gate. My wine was to be confiscated, it was too late to retun to the luggage drop off. I ended up leaving the secure area and giving it to a baggage handler in the food court rather than through it away.

Maybe ya'll are too smart for this... but I'd hate to see people lose their expensive duty free perfume, liquer, make up.....

I've flown many times since these regulations came out and have never been questioned for using containers other than the original packaging (I use the Nalgene travel bottles/jars in various sizes for most of my "standard" items like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc.)

I think enforcement must be random. My SIL was stopped in FLL returning from a cruise and her items - not in original containers - were taken and disposed of. I pack my items and check them and seldom carry on anything but lipstick these days.

Since I wear contacts, I wouldn't know which one held my lenses and which was eye cream :rolleyes: . I usually bring along an extra pair of lenses. The cases are tiny and while they may hold enough eye cream for a week, that's about it. On the downside, unless you get them free, they can be costly.

What I did on our last flight was to hold aside a couple of sample size jars from Clinique, one was an eye cream and one was a face cream jar. I use a specific face cream, so I emptied it and used the jar for my choice. They were perfect, just enough for a few days use (I could have filled them with more) and I just tossed them for the flight home.

Same thing with liquid makeup, I keep my eye out for the samples you get with purchase and stock up on what I already use at that time. Clinique has some nice giveaways as does Lancome and a few others. I use foundation on my face about 5 times a year, not enough to warrant a purchase of it. There are also times when I've ordered from Sephora (if I need to stock up on a few things) and they not only give free samples of your choice, they ship free after a minimum amount, I think it's $75 (easy to obtain when you're buying makeup!).

After all the above advice and after worrying so much about it a couple of weeks ago, I think from now on I'll take only the bare minimum of liquids/gels for flight, not my whole toiletries like I attempted. Then, double bag and just check the rest through. On our return flight, I had checked through my carry on and the total liquids/gels I had fit into a snack sized bag, just lipstick, eye drops and a bitty tube of hand cream. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'll bother with a carry on bag in the future, I love travelling unemcumbered.

"7. This is the one time you will hear me recommend a bar soap for the face (but look for the gentlest you can find). These don't need to go in the bag."

You have some really good ideas:) Here is an alternative to bar soap or liquid face cleansers...Oil of Olay has boxes of individual dry disposable cloths that already have facial soap/cleanser in them, they foam up very nicely when you wet them. I've used them the last few times I've traveled, if you don't want to pack the whole box(it's about 4 inches square) you can just pull out some and put in a ziplock sandwich bag, which is what I do. They won't count against your liquid allowance, thus freeing up valuable space in your 1 quart bag:rolleyes:

You have some really good ideas:) Here is an alternative to bar soap or liquid face cleansers...Oil of Olay has boxes of individual dry disposable cloths that already have facial soap/cleanser in them, they foam up very nicely when you wet them. I've used them the last few times I've traveled, if you don't want to pack the whole box(it's about 4 inches square) you can just pull out some and put in a ziplock sandwich bag, which is what I do. They won't count against your liquid allowance, thus freeing up valuable space in your 1 quart bag:rolleyes:

I use these as well as the Neutrogena cleansing pads. Ziplock a bunch of them and I am good to go.

On the way down to Florida she put a large bottle of sparkling lotion in her backpack without telling me. I didn't know anything about it until we got there and she pulled it out of her back pack. You really got watch these kids now days.:rolleyes:

You really do! Gotta love 'em.

Last fall my then-six-year-old son and I were flying to see my aunt, who was dying of lung cancer which had metastisized to her brain. She was very ill (she died just a few days after we were there) and very suseptible to any kind of germs. We had discussed very carefully how he'd have to wash his hands and use Purell before seeing her. Imagine my surprise when they scanned my son's backpack at security and pulled us aside. The TSA guy pulled a HUGE bottle of Purell from my dear son's backpack. "Well, you said I had to be careful!" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Silly boy!

Robin

The easiest way "around" the 3-ounce rule is to pack your things in your checked luggage! In your carry-on just take the things you need for the flight. The 3-ounce rule doesn't apply to checked luggage.

I used to carry all my toiletries and make-up with me, but on my last flight they were all checked and I didn't miss them for one second!

However, if you are attempting to avoid checking any luggage, these tips would be essential.

I love to collect snow globes as well. I am already planning on carrying some bubble wrap with me when I cruise next month. Of course, if they are in a box, so much the better! But, if not, then it will be bubble wrap and then wrapped in clothes...and cosssing my fingers that it will come home in one piece!

My husband bought me a delicate china box onboard the ship. The packing they gave me didn't look like it would make it home. He suggested his sports socks! I just put the china in a small amount of bubble wrap, then inside about 4 socks and it worked perfectly. Saved room in the bag and if I had needed to unwrap it at security, it would have been easy.

Re the contact lens case, the rule is that liquids and gels must be in original packaging, unless that has recently changed.

I have been unable to find this stipulation anywhere in the regulations. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place or something. I have heard of that happening more than once, but if it is not in the rules, either the rules should be changed or the agents informed that they are wrong. People are afraid to question the agents, and I understand why (I switched to a digital camera after an agent refused to hand check my film properly packed and told me it wouldn't matter) I was making multiple changes and the film was partially ruined because it went through carryon scanner too many times. I realize that the job is not easy, but if agents have different standards than printed, how are people supposed to follow?

This is from the TSA site:

Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Prescription medications, baby formula and milk (when traveling with an infant or toddler) are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.

Come early and be patient. Heavy travel volumes and the enhanced security process may mean longer lines at security checkpoints.

TSA working with our partners. TSA works with airlines and airports to anticipate peak traffic and be ready for the traveling public.

No where can I find the wording "original containers".

I also wondered about original containers. Which is the reason I stressed over finding all these tiny bottles for our flight. I couldn't find it either, but had read where someone had a clear refillable bottle that was not allowed.

How would the agents know that I emptied a Clinique jar of one cream and refilled it with another?

Now that I've been through it, I have to agree with Minimom57, just check the stuff through. We had thought we were going to travel with just carryons, the reason I put myself through the hassle. But, having to pack my husbands sportscoat, it was just easier in the larger piece of luggage.

I think, in the future, even if I can pack into a carry on size, I'll still check it through, double bagging my toiletries.

There is a reason why some of us ladies choose to bring cosmetics in our carry-on luggage - that is not having your luggage show up at your destination when you do. We had that experience a number of years ago and I will absolutely not travel without my make-up bag in my carry-on. Trying to find products on the ship (that weren't going to cost me an arm and a leg) to get me through the 3 days (including formal night) it took to get my luggage just didn't work for me. I admit, I have changed from a liquid foundation to a powder for travelling, but I still carry my cosmetics with me. My make-up is like my credit card ... I won't leave home without it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

There is a reason why some of us ladies choose to bring cosmetics in our carry-on luggage - that is not having your luggage show up at your destination when you do. We had that experience a number of years ago and I will absolutely not travel without my make-up bag in my carry-on. Trying to find products on the ship (that weren't going to cost me an arm and a leg) to get me through the 3 days (including formal night) it took to get my luggage just didn't work for me. I admit, I have changed from a liquid foundation to a powder for travelling, but I still carry my cosmetics with me. My make-up is like my credit card ... I won't leave home without it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not to mention medications and those of us who must use skin products that can't be found everywhere. I grew up in an airline family where we went standby and always was taught to carry one days supplies and a change of clothes. As a paying passenger, it took us 36 hours to get to Bermuda from California and ended up flying over the airport and turning back to New York. We were put up several hours in a hotel and at least I was able to take a shower and change clothes. My only mistake? Food. No food was provided, the hotel chef walked out when he found the crowd and even the soft drink machines were empty. We were promised breakfast the next morning and and got stale bagels and watered down juice. I will NEVER travel again without at least granola bars in my bag. One small bag can be a lifesaver. If one can use the smaller naglene bottles they take up less room and are leakproof. I've had the sample size bottles leak and crack. I do label all of the naglene bottles and have just finished a set and now I hear some airport agents are making their own rules and tossing them. I want to follow the rules, but I also want them to be clear and standardized, at least for each country.

What I did on our last flight was to hold aside a couple of sample size jars from Clinique, one was an eye cream and one was a face cream jar. I use a specific face cream, so I emptied it and used the jar for my choice.

Yep...I've been doing this for years...even PRE-911. :rolleyes:

Not sure about the "must be in original container" policy ... but I suspect travelers will experience less hassle if the containers of liquids or gels clearly indicate the maximum capacity of that bottle or jar.

And, always remember ... any lip from the TSA inspector, you may ask for a TSA supervisor to discuss your displeasure and/or complete a complaint form he/she can give you.

Archived