What do you pack?

We are going on only our 2nd cruise in July and I was wondering, aside from the usual stuff like clothes and toiletries, what things do you pack for the cruise? I have heard of people bringing bungee cords and duct tape, but what else do you bring and what do you use it for?

I bring small LED alarm clock so I can see what time it is in the middle of the night...a power strip to plug in things like cell phone chargers, camera chargers, curling irons, etc.

I bring insulated coffee mugs for everyone (you can buy them onboard,too). The teeny, tiny plastic glasses and coffee cups they provide don't hold nearly enough of whatever beverage you want, plus you can take it with you. Don't forget the power strip.

Also, zip lock baggies are great for making a cold pack from ice cubes, storing your room service snacks for later (take it with you at the port), wet bathing suit on the last night, etc.

They provide Purell in the dining room, but I like to have a little bottle with me all the time. I definitely don't want to get sick on a cruise.

On our first cruise I packed the duct tape, highlighters, bungee cords, etc., etc., and used none of them. I guess the duct tape is for things that break, the highlighter is for the Cruise Compass, and the bungee cord is to hold the balcony door open.

What I do bring and use is a small travel alarm clock, a power strip, and a really small flashlight for each of us. The flashlights come in handy if you're trying to negotiate your way to the bathroom at night!!!

we bring a collapsable cooler- this way we always have ice in the cabin and ours holds so much that it only has to be refilled every 2-3 days-

sunscreen

visor

aspirin and other meds for just in case, bandaids

a small extra bag for purchases made during trip

binoculars

I won a free small mim pair of binoculars once, I always bring them and carry them on deck, I saw humpbacks on the Mex. Riv. cruise this last april! The other great tip that I use, as a pair of shoes starts to wear out.....like my tennis shoes, I dont' throw them away, I keep them for one last week, take them on the cruise, then just leave them when I pack to go home, throw them away. I did this with my walk about sandles as well and it made extra room on my way back home. Bring a small, clothe tote bag that is in the form of a backpack.....GAP has them etc.....we use this while walking around the deck, out on port adventures, countless things. I dont' use a regular tote because someone can rip it off my shoulders, back pack style clothe is best. I also always bring one of those under the clothes money, credit card holder. They fit nicely under your shirt, around your neck (hidden) or around your waist. That way if someone steals the tote with various misc. stuff in it I have the stuff that counts, cash, cards and id! Have fun!

As mentioned before, definitely a power strip.

We also bring a 15 ft grounded extension cord. Collapsible cooler (although they always seem to spring a leak and end up in the bathroom or on the balcony), wine opener & small folding multi-tool (knife, pliers, screwdriver, etc).

$2 bills for tipping (some are opposed to this saying that non-US nationals dont like to get them because they have a hard time exchanging them or some such nonsense, but everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, I ever gave one sure seemed happy to get it and everyone that I asked said they had no problems exchanging them and many even felt they were "lucky".

Oh, and this weird collapsible nylon mesh pop-up hamper/bucket thing about the size of a small waste basket that we keep our chargers, cell phones, walkies and other small electronics in when we are not using them.

Under the Main Boards listing, go to Fun Stuff, Cruise Rituals and there is a thread started there called "Cruise Don't Forget List". It's HUGE and should have anything and everything anyone would've ever thought of LOL. I've used it to customize a list for us.

Have fun!

small folding multi-tool (knife, pliers, screwdriver, etc).

I'd forgotten about this until you mentioned it -- my dh brought his Leatherman (similar to what you describe) on the Disney Magic, packed in his checked luggage. When our bags were delivered to our stateroom on the first night, we had a note saying that it had been confiscated and that we could pick it up when we disembarked.

- my dh brought his Leatherman (similar to what you describe) on the Disney Magic, packed in his checked luggage. When our bags were delivered to our stateroom on the first night, we had a note saying that it had been confiscated and that we could pick it up when we disembarked.

Wow, just how big was that Leatherman? The one we bring is pretty small, only about 2 inches long when folded. However, my DW did have a nice also small Leatherman Squirt, tiny really, that was taken away by a TSA person at the airport when DW forgot it was in her purse.

Funny about your leatherman though considering anyone can get a metal blade knife at almost anytime from almost any food eating place on the ship.Probably they are more worried about you taking things apart than cutting people.

we bring a collapsable cooler- this way we always have ice in the cabin and ours holds so much that it only has to be refilled every 2-3 days-

Just curious about getting it filled with ice. The room steward hooks you up? No problem?

He has had quite a few avatars today, nothing like your weekend avatar blitz though!:D

I was wondering if that's what you meant. I admit, his cat tongue is much larger than my cat tongue. :p

To the OP, don't forget to take any chargers that might be needed. It's no fun to have a camera battery die with one day to go.

Gina

Wow, just how big was that Leatherman? The one we bring is pretty small, only about 2 inches long when folded.

I don't know how big it is - regular size. I wouldn't say that it is 2 inches folded up, maybe 3.5-4. About the size of a pocket comb - the black plastic ones they give out at school during picture day.

Archived