Auckland NZ, Bay of Islands, questions

farm girl

Is there a "must see" Bay Of Islands place. There are so many islands that it is very hard to pick one. I have read about Goat island, Paihia, the Great Barrier Island ect. I want to visit an island that has marine life and or animal life and I do not want to drive. I would like to use public transportation or the ferry service. We will be arrive in Auckland 3 days pre-cruise the last few days of March 2008. Are there whales?

Thank You

Hi Farmgirl,

There are no whales to see in NZ.

Public transport from auckland to BOI you would need to catch a bus, or can fly to Kerikeri. Paihia is beautiful, many boating trips, swim with dolphins, hole in the rock excursions etc. You can go by fast boat of a slower ferry. Pahia is close to Waitangi maori meeting house, a beautiful place to visit. From Paihia you cantake a bus trip to Cape Reinga, to the lighthouse, end or north island of NZ, the trip back takes you along 90 mile beach, wonderful trip.

I don't think there is public transport to goat island, you can snorkel there.

Public transport in NZ is not as great as in other countries, a rental car is a good option.

Clubby

Well, I must disagree with the last poster. There area indeed whales to see in NZ, although the ones we saw were off the coast of the south island at Kaiokura (hope I spelled that right). We took a tour from Christchurch and a helicopter ride out over the ocean and saw many whales. We were there in spring and the snow-capped mountains, green hills and blue, blue water were amazing!

hi., I too disagree with the previous poster., kaikoura is a great place to see whales.....and as for the Bay of Islands...being a native from there I can tell you it that it is a fantastic part of NZ. The trip to do is the :hole in the rock: tour, a sea trip which leaves from Paihia., visits historic Russell,(which you can get off and explore on the way home) and sails through.. a hole in the most eastern point of the Bay of Islands., an unforgetable trip and you'll probably see lots of Dolphins and sealife on the way. The bus from Auckland is a pretty long trip.,probably 4 - 5 hours whereas I would suggest a car rental, youll enjoy the trip more, as you can do the drive in under 3 if you want.. There is pleanty of accomodation in the Bay., from 1 to 5 star., and pleanty to do there for a couple of days. Good luck and have a great trip...

• 3 weeks later...
We will be at the Bay of Islands Oct 16 from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, is there a company that will take passengers to the Hole in the Rock?

there are a couple of companies that do trips in the BAy of Islands., the most reliable and the oldest company is "Fullers" http://fboi.co.nz/

It leaves paihia at 9am..but if you are on a ship berthed in the bay you may be able to catch it from Russell which will be one of the ferries stops, i think it gets there about 15 minutes after leaving Paihia.

Alternatively...if you're abit adventurous........do the Excitor trip (also fulllers) out to Cape brett..(Hole in the Rock) ,its an extra fast speedboat and does the trip in a thrilling and fast ride! It leaves at about 10.30. and then youll have pleanty of time to discover the quant and beutiful town of Russell and have a look round Paihia as well..

The Wharf in Russell as well as Paihia have offices for Fullers on them... and Russell will be closer to you if your ship is berthing in the bay.

One of my other favourite day trips with Fullers is the "Cream Trip". it goes around the islands and bays following the old milk run and is a great way to see the area but I dont think youll have time for it...

Enjoy the BAy.....regards

there are a couple of companies that do trips in the BAy of Islands., the most reliable and the oldest company is "Fullers" http://fboi.co.nz/

It leaves paihia at 9am..but if you are on a ship berthed in the bay you may be able to catch it from Russell which will be one of the ferries stops, i think it gets there about 15 minutes after leaving Paihia.

Alternatively...if you're abit adventurous........do the Excitor trip (also fulllers) out to Cape brett..(Hole in the Rock) ,its an extra fast speedboat and does the trip in a thrilling and fast ride! It leaves at about 10.30. and then youll have pleanty of time to discover the quant and beutiful town of Russell and have a look round Paihia as well..

The Wharf in Russell as well as Paihia have offices for Fullers on them... and Russell will be closer to you if your ship is berthing in the bay.

One of my other favourite day trips with Fullers is the "Cream Trip". it goes around the islands and bays following the old milk run and is a great way to see the area but I dont think youll have time for it...

Enjoy the BAy.....regards

Fullers looks like an excellent choice for a BOI tour. We'll be there for 2 days in January pre-cruise from Auckland and we've booked in at the Blue Pacific Apts. They look very nice -- what are your thoughts? And while I'm asking, we've reserved the Bankside apts. for ourstay in Auckland. Any opinion of the apts. and location?

Thanks for your help.

Fullers looks like an excellent choice for a BOI tour. We'll be there for 2 days in January pre-cruise from Auckland and we've booked in at the Blue Pacific Apts. They look very nice -- what are your thoughts? And while I'm asking, we've reserved the Bankside apts. for ourstay in Auckland. Any opinion of the apts. and location?

Thanks for your help.

SOrry cant comment on the interior of Blue Pacific, its actually the motel behind the house I was bought up. Great location., most beautiful beach in the bay, but I have not been in them for some years, I believe it has been renovated since I saw them last. The photo on the site would be the view from 75% of the apartments there. Restaurants in the Bay are a bit hit and miss for Quality unfortunately., , my parents who still live there have a favourite in Opua which is a short drive from Paihia called Bluewater bar ... 3 beechy road Opua. It is worth the short taxi drive. I had dinner there last month and it was excellant., great position on the pier next to the ferry.

Not much help on the Bankside apartments Im afraid., though for the sort of money advertised on the website it sounds good value for money. It is in the CBD area of town., a walk down the hill to most of the places you will want to walk to.... viaduct.(or some great restaurants), Queen Street Ferry Buildings., etc.

If you would prefer a Boutique Hotel., I can recomend an excellant one in Ponsonby which is very close to everything you will want...

hope you enjoy your trip., The BOI is a fantastic part of the country

We will be at the Bay of Islands Oct 16 from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, is there a company that will take passengers to the Hole in the Rock?

Just a thought.....if you are on a cruise and only there for the day, I think the ship will offer a trip to the hole in the rock.This may be best to book ,

re timing,as you have to tender ashore.

SOrry cant comment on the interior of Blue Pacific, its actually the motel behind the house I was bought up. Great location., most beautiful beach in the bay, but I have not been in them for some years, I believe it has been renovated since I saw them last. The photo on the site would be the view from 75% of the apartments there. Restaurants in the Bay are a bit hit and miss for Quality unfortunately., , my parents who still live there have a favourite in Opua which is a short drive from Paihia called Bluewater bar ... 3 beechy road Opua. It is worth the short taxi drive. I had dinner there last month and it was excellant., great position on the pier next to the ferry.

Not much help on the Bankside apartments Im afraid., though for the sort of money advertised on the website it sounds good value for money. It is in the CBD area of town., a walk down the hill to most of the places you will want to walk to.... viaduct.(or some great restaurants), Queen Street Ferry Buildings., etc.

If you would prefer a Boutique Hotel., I can recomend an excellant one in Ponsonby which is very close to everything you will want...

hope you enjoy your trip., The BOI is a fantastic part of the country

Thanks for the great response. We took Blue Pacific because it got such great reviews on Tripadvisor. Every lodging possibility seems pretty pricey at BOI for that time of year, so we decided to splurge a bit for the two nights.

Yes, please tell me your recommendation for the boutique hotel in Ponsonby. We're still open for something else for our first 4 nights in Auckland, though the last 3 will need to be somewhere with a washer and dryer - before we embark (since Celebrity has no guest laundry and we don't like sending out our "smalls" to the ship's laundry).

You've been a great help to many of us here and we really appreciate it.:)

Thanks for the great response. We took Blue Pacific because it got such great reviews on Tripadvisor. Every lodging possibility seems pretty pricey at BOI for that time of year, so we decided to splurge a bit for the two nights.

Yes, please tell me your recommendation for the boutique hotel in Ponsonby. We're still open for something else for our first 4 nights in Auckland, though the last 3 will need to be somewhere with a washer and dryer - before we embark (since Celebrity has no guest laundry and we don't like sending out our "smalls" to the ship's laundry).

You've been a great help to many of us here and we really appreciate it.:)

heya sharon...thanks..hope I can be of some help, try Amitees on Ponsonby Road., the owner is Ian., Tell him Roscoe from Franklin Road sent you....he'll look after you. Its a v nice small hotel., on the restaurant mile of Auckland .....and a v trendy shopping area... close to everything...ive seen quite a few rooms there and they are v nice. Im pretty sure it will have guest laundry., most in NZ have that service.

http://www.amitees.co.nz/amitees/

Archived