Two entrees in dining room?

jennbill

I order one of each soup. I have found some I love, like pumpkin, that I NEVER would have tried other wise. Once in awhile two entrees. Two deserts alot.

On the Spirit I finally tried the Pumpkin soup because everyone on here told me to try it, guess what, I was very good :) Glad I had it.

Fred

If you wanted to have an entree as your starter for eg the sweet and sour shrimps and then the second entree as per normal, can you order the first entree when everyone orders their starters or can you only order your entrees when everyone else have finished their frist course and ready for their entrees?

The waiter will take orders twice - once at the beginning of the meal for the starters/salads/main course, and later, after clearing away the dishes, take orders for the desserts/coffee.

So I think you just order all your starters, salads, & main courses in one go at the beginning.

If you wanted to have an entree as your starter for eg the sweet and sour shrimps and then the second entree as per normal, can you order the first entree when everyone orders their starters or can you only order your entrees when everyone else have finished their frist course and ready for their entrees?

Yes, just tell your waiter you want the entree as a starter. It comes with everyone elses starters, and it is usually a smaller (appetizer sized) portion than it would be as an entree.

No. I can barely make it through dinner to begin with! LOL Sometimes I'd order a second appetizer instead of a salad. We met a couple with two guys my age (early 20s) who ordered FIVE entrees every night. These guys were thin too. LOL

I'm nervous about this next cruise because my brother and three of his friends are going. Three of the four will eat like horses. All I keep saying is, "This cruise is eight nights. If you think you're going to take forever at dinner I'm leaving." LOL

Miched,

If our service, whether dining room room steward, bartender, etc, is good we ALWAYS leave extra gratuity above the standard rate. This even includes the maitre'd-unlike lots of folks on another post on this board.

Depends what's on the menu. If there's only one entree I like, I order one. If there's two, I'll order two. Same with the appetizers. :D

Now, dessert, however-I usually end up with 2 or 3 to try them all. I'm petite-5'4" and 125 soaking wet. I usually gain 5 when on a cruise. :) And I enjoy gaining every one of them!

It is basically standard practice for us to order more then one entree, appetizer, etc. We look at the menu and if it's something we like or want to try, we order it. Years ago when our DD was 11 we told her she should try different things to see if she liked them. She was afraid to 'waste' food, and didn't want to at first. Our waiter told her that it would not be wasted because anything she didn't eat would be ground up and fed to the fish. From that moment on she would try just about anything. She's 22 now and we just came back from a cruise 3 days ago - her 6th cruise.

On our last cruise our waiter told us they only keep food 4 hours and then throw it away. She said to order whatever we wanted because it would be thrown out anyway.

Also, they want you to order everything you'd possibly want in the beginning when the initial order is taken. It is very difficult for them to fight thru the food lines to get another of something. Trust me, they would much rather carry it out in one trip than have to go back.

Kathy

Oh, and I eat at least 3 lobster tails on Formal night! :p I know...it's sinful!! But I normally don't eat dessert... I MUCH rather the real food.... I know, it's strange, but that's how I was raised... my mom didn't fix desserts, so I never grew to like sweets.

Fish & Chips

I have been reading the boards and looking at menus for weeks for my cruise on 6/2 (GLORY). I thought the cheeseburger would be my first meal, but seeing this picture, I know it will be the Fsh & Chips.

Our last cruise we took the camera into the dining room once and got a picture of my DD with three, yes three, desserts. We missed my husband with 4 lobster tails, which he threatens to do this time around.

Thanks, Fred for the food pictures. Now that I know I am not the only one, hopefully people won't think I am crazy when I start taking pictures of all our food.

I'm sure a lot of people are thinking "pumpkin soup? no thanks!" but trust me, that was about the best soup I've ever had! That's the best part about a cruise...you can try something you wouldn't ever dare try. If you don't like it...get something else!

I'm sure a lot of people are thinking "pumpkin soup? no thanks!" but trust me, that was about the best soup I've ever had! That's the best part about a cruise...you can try something you wouldn't ever dare try. If you don't like it...get something else!

The pumpkin soup was my favorite dish on our last cruise. It has been two long years since we have had cruise and that is the only menu item then I continually mention when someone says something about cruising.

Is it a fact or rumor that if there is nothing on the dinner menu that you can order a filet for that night????? ( i am asking this because i do not like lobster, tried it several times and i also do not like prime rib which i have also tried several times) I do not want to have to go to the buffet for this night because i know it is usually on formal night. And does anyone have copies of the menus????

can anyone help me out with this...........thanks

Is it a fact or rumor that if there is nothing on the dinner menu that you can order a filet for that night????? ( i am asking this because i do not like lobster, tried it several times and i also do not like prime rib which i have also tried several times) I do not want to have to go to the buffet for this night because i know it is usually on formal night. And does anyone have copies of the menus????

Hi Ashleyrae911,

On the Fantasy (just cruised last week) on the always available menu you can have a NY sirloin strip any night of the week. In addition there is also grilled salmon, chicken breast, shrimp cocktail, baked potato, ceasar salad and choc melting cake. This is what I remember. I think duck is also on the menu on lobster night. On the lobster plate there are also jumbo grilled shrimp (just FYI). So while it's not a filet (that's on the first night of embarkation and was excellent!) it was still very good because our friends got it 4 of the 5 nights!

Kathy

You can always order steak or chicken breast. You can also always order from the children's menu.

Pumpkin soup, MMMMMMMM......

I rarely eat soup at home but enjoy it at dinner every night on every cruise we've taken. It seems that all cruiselines excel at soups. Must be a "soup ****" thing LOL.

I've looked at the menus recently, and I know that there will be nights that I will get multiple appetizers and nights that I will double up on entrees. The more I hear, the more it seems that I should plan on 3 lobster tails AND prime rib. :D

Here's the link to menus again . . .

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/menus.htm

Archived