Leave NYC January - cold weather??

nsbirdie

Never really thought about this as this is our first cruise....but we are going out of NYC Jan 5th - 2 days at sea enroute/ 1 on return. Tortola, Dominica, San Juan, St Thomas etc (11 days Noordam).

We plan to go down the 3rd to guarantee no late arrival and to enjoy NYC for a day or 2. What is it like getting out of the harbour in early Jan? What do people do enroute for two days - what type of weather are we likely to have? Obviously, not sitting in the sun time!

I have never sailed in January but I'm a native NYer and I can tell you that the weather is very COLD. We get Noreasters that come up the coast at that time of year. This year we had a very mild January (which is quite rare) and February was fridgid.

I can imagine that the seas would be rough during the winter, I doubt I would like it but years ago all the ships left out of NY. Just be prepared for 2 days of cold weather going down and then also on the way back.

I have friends who took that same cruise last January out of NYC. It happened to be 70 degrees the day they left and they had smooth waters all the way down and back. We left February 8 and it was very cold. We wore out winter coats and hats and gloves for the muster drill at around 4pm. We had a nice sail, with easy seas, but the trip two before us had a very very rough time.

During the sea days, I love to go to the Explorations Cafe, the Crow's Nest and sit in a lounge chair and watch the ocean, work out at the fitness center, read, go to the spa, meet other CC'ers at a meet and greet party. You can relax at the indoor pool, play cards, bingo or trivia games, enter a ship building contest, go to an art auction,take a fitness class, watch a first run movie, attend a cooking class or demo. The list is endless. I love the sea days with nothing to do or everything to do.

The Noordam is a beautiful ship. Hope you have a great cruise.

We are doing that cruise Jan 26. We've gone out of NY several times in the winter late 70's early 80's on Home Lines and Cunard. Like the above poster said, this past January, it was 70 degrees. That's not usual and yes, it will be chilly the day you leave. By next AM, you'll be in the gulf stream. It won't be tropical, but you can be out on deck in shirt sleeves and it probably will be in the 60's (It always had been when we left out of NY.) As the "Noordam" has the glass dome over the pool, I'm know you'll be able to use it if you choose. When we took the Home Lines "Oceanic" they had the dome over the pool area and we were always out there the 2nd day and the last day. As far as the seas, who knows....it could be smooth as glass, it could be bumpy. It could be sunny, it could not be. I've gone out of NY in the summer and the seas were rougher than when going in the winter. Sailing out of NY and down the river, past the Manhattan skyline, past the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Isand and under the Veranzanno bridge is exciting as a port of call. As far as "what to do in NY".....TONS of things. The Metropolitain Musuem, the Museum of the City of NY, South Seaport, The Gueginheim (sp) Radio City, Rockefellar Center, Musuem of AMerican Art, the plays (you can get "2-fers" the day of, shopping, Chinatown, Little Italy........I'm tired just thinking about everything you can do in NYC in 2 days!!!!! The only bad part is hotels in NYC may be a bit pricy, but actually you can dine very well very reasonably, just stay away from the "famous tourist restaurants that are overpriced, over rated ,and mediocre.

We are doing that cruise Jan 26. We've gone out of NY several times in the winter late 70's early 80's on Home Lines and Cunard. Like the above poster said, this past January, it was 70 degrees. That's not usual and yes, it will be chilly the day you leave. By next AM, you'll be in the gulf stream. It won't be tropical, but you can be out on deck in shirt sleeves and it probably will be in the 60's (It always had been when we left out of NY.) As the "Noordam" has the glass dome over the pool, I'm know you'll be able to use it if you choose. When we took the Home Lines "Oceanic" they had the dome over the pool area and we were always out there the 2nd day and the last day. As far as the seas, who knows....it could be smooth as glass, it could be bumpy. It could be sunny, it could not be. I've gone out of NY in the summer and the seas were rougher than when going in the winter. Sailing out of NY and down the river, past the Manhattan skyline, past the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Isand and under the Veranzanno bridge is exciting as a port of call. As far as "what to do in NY".....TONS of things. The Metropolitain Musuem, the Museum of the City of NY, South Seaport, The Gueginheim (sp) Radio City, Rockefellar Center, Musuem of AMerican Art, the plays (you can get "2-fers" the day of, shopping, Chinatown, Little Italy........I'm tired just thinking about everything you can do in NYC in 2 days!!!!! The only bad part is hotels in NYC may be a bit pricy, but actually you can dine very well very reasonably, just stay away from the "famous tourist restaurants that are overpriced, over rated ,and mediocre.

My parents sailed the Oceanic in the late 60s and early 70s. I think the Oceanic was the first ship to have those domes over the pool.

To the OP if you are looking for a really nice restaurant in NY that isn't a tourist trap try Rossini's. It's Northern Italian food....excellent food and excellent service. I have been there a few times. It's on E. 38th and 3rd Ave.

I have never sailed in January but I'm a native NYer and I can tell you that the weather is very COLD. We get Noreasters that come up the coast at that time of year. This year we had a very mild January (which is quite rare) and February was fridgid.

I can imagine that the seas would be rough during the winter, I doubt I would like it but years ago all the ships left out of NY. Just be prepared for 2 days of cold weather going down and then also on the way back.

Years ago when all the ships left out of NY, cruises didn't start sailing until April or May. Back in the 70's (prior to the cruises leaving out of ports other than NYC) we wanted to do a cruise with another couple. The only time all four of us could get vacation time together was mid-March. The TA told us there are no cruises that time of year, so we did a "cruise on land" i.e., all inclusive.

Years ago when all the ships left out of NY, cruises didn't start sailing until April or May. Back in the 70's (prior to the cruises leaving out of ports other than NYC) we wanted to do a cruise with another couple. The only time all four of us could get vacation time together was mid-March. The TA told us there are no cruises that time of year, so we did a "cruise on land" i.e., all inclusive.

During the 60s and 70s cruises did leave out of NY in the winter. My parents sailed the Oceanic several times out of NY during the end of Dec.

Hmm, not sure why, then, the TA said no cruises leave out of NYC that time of year. We all really wanted to do a cruise, but there were none to be found until April. This was in 1978, I believe. She said we'd have to wait until later in the spring season. Maybe they just didn't sail Jan/Feb/March? Or maybe they weren't 7 day Caribbean cruises? I'm not sure those older ships could make it to the Caribbean and back to NYC in 7 days.

Hmm, not sure why, then, the TA said no cruises leave out of NYC that time of year. We all really wanted to do a cruise, but there were none to be found until April. This was in 1978, I believe. She said we'd have to wait until later in the spring season. Maybe they just didn't sail Jan/Feb/March? Or maybe they weren't 7 day Caribbean cruises? I'm not sure those older ships could make it to the Caribbean and back to NYC in 7 days.

Well my parents cruised the Oceanic up until around 1972 I believe so maybe after that they changed it. They also didn't do the 7 day....they took a 14 day so that is why they were able to go down to the Carribean from NY on those old ships. The Oceanic did 7 day cruises to Nassau from NY in the winter at that time also.

That must be the reason why the TA told us a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean wouldn't work leaving NYC in March. I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm sure if she said the furthest we could get would be Bahamas, we would have not been happy with that.

I remember I first became enthralled with cruising back in the 60's when my best friend's father got transferred to Belgium and the entire family had to move. The company sent them over to Europe on a cruise ship (I think it was the Il de France???). Anyway, I was about 10 years old at the time and as sad as I was to have my best friend move away, I remember being captivated at their bon voyage party onboard the ship (as I'm sure you recall, guests were allowed onboard before the ship sailed back then). Thus began my love affair with cruising....although it would take another 30 years before I actually got onboard a ship!

That must be the reason why the TA told us a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean wouldn't work leaving NYC in March. I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm sure if she said the furthest we could get would be Bahamas, we would have not been happy with that.

I remember I first became enthralled with cruising back in the 60's when my best friend's father got transferred to Belgium and the entire family had to move. The company sent them over to Europe on a cruise ship (I think it was the Il de France???). Anyway, I was about 10 years old at the time and as sad as I was to have my best friend move away, I remember being captivated at their bon voyage party onboard the ship (as I'm sure you recall, guests were allowed onboard before the ship sailed back then). Thus began my love affair with cruising....although it would take another 30 years before I actually got onboard a ship!

My parents favorite line was the Home Lines Oceanic and as I mentioned in my other posts they did several cruises on her. I would stay with my grandmother back then, I was just a kid. I loved staying with her because she, of course, spoiled me rotten. :p My parents would bring me back so many gifts also. :D As a matter of fact, I am still wearing to this day a gold bracelet that they bought me from Spritzer and Fuhrman in Curacao. Ever since they went I always dreamed of going on a Caribbean cruise alone with my husband. My mother has been so kind as to watch my two kids (ages 19yrs and 14 yrs) so my dream can come true. Next Monday my husband and I will be leaving on an 8 night cruise aboard the Carnival Miracle and I absolutely can't wait. The other two cruises that I have in my sig were only short 2 night cruises to nowhere. This will be the "real" thing. :D Recently my mom showed me her pics from the Oceanic again and from what I can see there was nothing like cruising back then. At that time The Oceanic was "THE" ship. She is still sailing for a company called Pullmanter out of Spain. I hope they get many more years out of her.

"Most" ships start April-ish out of NY and go until mid October.. All those that do the Bermuda run are pretty much APril to Oct. Many lines now do the Canada/New England cruises same time frame. Several go to the Caribbean then as well. I think HAL and NCL are year 'round now out of NYC. Up until the early 80's the "Oceanic" sailed year round out of NY. 7 dayers APril until mid December, then the longer 10-17 day cruises. All were different from each other both in length and itinerary. In the 70's the first "Homeric" did 7 dayers in the winter to Nassau (where it stayed docked for 2 days) and that ship did the longer multiple port Carrbbean cruises when the "Oceanic" took over the 7 day to Nassau run.

Never really thought about this as this is our first cruise....but we are going out of NYC Jan 5th - 2 days at sea enroute/ 1 on return. Tortola, Dominica, San Juan, St Thomas etc (11 days Noordam).

We plan to go down the 3rd to guarantee no late arrival and to enjoy NYC for a day or 2. What is it like getting out of the harbour in early Jan? What do people do enroute for two days - what type of weather are we likely to have? Obviously, not sitting in the sun time!

Don't kid yourself. Certainly by the second day at sea you will be in much warmer weather. The ships go really fast at night so you might even be in warmer weather by the first day - or later that day.

January weather is so iffy, no one can tell you for sure what it will be like. We can have two feet of snow or 70 degrees and sunny.

Archived