Alaska on the Mercury... 5-18-07

Chat Noir

Alaska.... wow, I've only been home a day, and I'm 'homesick' for it already...

What a fantabulous cruise!!! I love the Celebrity Mercury. I was soooo afraid we were gonna be cruisin' with a bunch of 'white-glove cruise snobs', but was I ever wrong. I believe it was way more diverse age-wise than either of our other 2 Alaskan cruises. Carnival has the reputation of being the 'party boat'... not in Alaska. Celebrity was way more fun! Or maybe it was just that this time, my DH and I enjoyed some onboard ship activites as well as the scenic cruising. The larger Sapphire Princess was great for the group of 11 we had last year, but for just the 2 of us, the smaller Mercury was simply PERFECT!

We had the best table-mates for our evening dinner. Our assigned table included the 2 of us, a couple from Oregon celebrating their 10th anniversary, and a group of 4 twenty-something Australians. We had FUN! Kudos to whoever assigned us to those particular Aussies and Oregonians!!!:) I was so scared we were gonna be sittin' with folks who knew what each of the dozen pieces of silverware were for... haha... none of us knew, and none of us cared!!! Funny, we were all worried about that... to begin with...! Our waiters were excellent (see Idewa, I remembered!) and I hope they get extra time off-ship for good behavior!!! And the food... oh wow! Glad our waiters were happy to just take 'pointing' to the menu. Half the things I couldn't even pronounce, and those that I could, I have no idea what they were. Salmon, I understand, New York Strip steak I understand, and I had both.... those french words??? Ha ha ha. I really don't know what I ate. But it was ALL good. And I have added 5 more pounds to prove it!

Our cabin was in the 'basement' so to speak (4125)... I think the power-plant or dishroom was right next door.... but for last-minute bargain-basement shopping, who cares! We had a balcony the first time to Alaska, an oceanview the second... and mirrors (oh, the horrors) the third!!! Didn't spend much time there anyway. Except when I'm seasick, of course. And don't let anyone ever lead you to believe Inside Passage RT cruises are always smooth sailin'... they're not! Navigator Club seemed to end up being our 'hangout'. Forward and center ship... a great place to see Scenic Alaska while staying warm! And, only a few steps to the 'great outdoors' on deck for particularly scenic cruising/photo taking.

Saw a few shows this cruise. I'm not much for broadway productions and opera type singing, but as far as they go, Celebrity did a fine job. We did see the the absolutely funniest comedian we've ever seen onboard a ship. Or off, for that matter. He nearly had us all rolling in the floor. With a little help from a rocking ship... haha. DH is quite tightfisted, but HE purchased one of this fella's DVD's.

We also had the most awesome naturalist onboard our ship!!!:) Funny AND very informative... it doesn't get any better than that. I wish I'd've made every lecture he had, but there is so much to see and do on an Alaskan cruise, it's nigh impossible to do it all. Brent Nixon is his name, and if you're sailing with him, you're in for a treat!:) We caught a less formal lecture in the Navigator Club, so be sure to find out if he's doing commentary other than just the Celebrity Theater listed lectures.

Alaska - breathtaking, beautiful, majestic, awesome.... what words describe it? Juneau is enclosed by mountains and water. The state capitol, but closed to arrival except by boat or plane. Steep mountains surround it, and the icefields prevent building of roads linking it to the 'outside'. Lotsa snow this year. Mt. Roberts tram was open, but the trails above were still closed. Way more snow than we saw last year there at virtually the same time frame. We spent time on Mt. Roberts, then just walked around town and enjoyed the scenery. Missed Mendenhall Glacier this year... it's beautiful, but I had a blister and wasn't really up for the hike. I wanted to save my hiking time for our trip the next day! Skagway is my favorite port. I love the setting, love the history of the Klondike Glold Rush, and love the atmosphere surrounding the town. All the trinket and franchise diamond stores sort of take away some atmosphere of the town, but they're easy to just walk on past. This year, we took the fast ferry to Haines, Alaska. The area around Haines is simply gorgeous. It is a town that is more limited in tourists than the typical cruiseship ports, and a person gets a feel for how Alaska towns are 'supposed' to be without all the Diamonds International stores!!! We walked around the old army fort, Ft. Wm. Seward. Very interesting; then spent time enjoying the surroundings. I liked Haines very much, but will likely go back to the Yukon Territory via car rental next trip. We also took the National Park Service walking tour of Skagway. Our NPS guide was very informative, and the tour was short but sweet.

Hubbard Glacier was fabulous. This was the last of the 'cruiseline' glaciers for us to see. We have sailed Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and Tracy Arm with Sawyer Glaciers in the past. Hubbard was massive compared to the other glaciers, but due to a recent earthquake in the area, there was also massive ice-pack preventing us from getting very close to the glacier itself. Now that we've seen all the major ones, our favorite is Glacier Bay by cruiseship, but Tracy Arm by small boat. I really, really hope whatever cruise we find next year (likely last-minute again) will give us enough time in Juneau to sail Tracy Arm again by small boat. The Sawyer Glacier icebergs there are the most beautiful we've seen in our 3 Alaskan trips, though the glaciers themselves are much less spectacular than the others.

Ketchikan was much the same as before. We walked along Creek Street... a very historic brothel district in years past, then I did a bit of shopping while DH headed back to the ship. He detests shopping, and I detest shopping with him tagging along!!! I found another Ulu knife (I love those knives) to add to my 'collection'. I didn't intend to start a collection of these, but somehow, I, and my money, seem to be drawn to them. There are so many different styles, and I enjoy that they're useful besides just holding an appeal for me. I also purchased a cute little Alaskan made eskimo doll. One of these days, I want to take a Misty Fjords day-cruise out of Ketchikan. So far, timing hasn't worked in our favor!

Rode an Amtrak bus back to Seattle from Vancouver BC. We took the train to Vancouver from Seattle, but timing made the bus work better for us on the return. I decided I hate buses. We've rented a car in the past, also, and it worked great. I also love, love, love the Amtrak train transfer. Amtrak is doing the train a bit different this year, and I like it better than in the past. Much roomier on the double decker superliners. No meal car now, though snacks are available. But I hate their buses at rush hour. WHY is it called RUSH hour? No one is rushing anywhere. It should be called stop and creep along for hours. Once in Seattle, we decided to save some money and take the city bus to an airport hotel for the last night prior to our early a.m. departure. Big, huge, awful mistake!!! The city bus worked well for us to transfer downtown from the airport upon arrival... NOT so well to transfer back to the airport. To save a $30 taxi fare we ended up riding 2 hours on that city bus. UGH! And finally had to switch buses to get where we wanted to go. That baby squalling on the plane while flying home... it had nothing on me after my 2 hours on a city bus! I think the original city bus driver we had must take some sort of perverse pleasure in 'steering' tourists to the most lengthy way to get from downtown to the airport lodging. NEVER again!!! After our bus switch we had the nicest driver. Direct to a hotel drop-off. I was ready to give her my firstborn (not really!) after the monster of a driver we'd just tangled with... If you choose the budget friendly city transit option, make sure you do your homework WELL before you get there. I asked for a brochure once we were there, and the original bus driver said they didn't have any. The second bus had a whole stack!!!

We ened up with 3 nights in Seattle. Two pre-cruise, one post-cruise. Motel 6... basic, but clean... and they do leave the light on... hahahahaha. JetMotel, ummm not on our list again. The best? Inn at the Market!!!! It's a cool little hotel tucked in downtown Seattle right next to the Pike Place Market. I'd booked a city-view room ($40 less than an oceanview) but they upgraded us to an 8th floor oceanview on our weekday night. We looked right out onto Elliot Bay, with mountains in the background. Ships and ferries sailing in and out, snow on the far peaks... It was fabulous!!! The Market was a block away, and we had a great view of it from our room, also. I LOVED this place. Every room had a Tempur-Pedic bed. Wouldn't ya know, I slept very well on it and want one, DH didn't...! I just wish I could AFFORD this place every trip. Unfortunately, it's Motel 6 or Super 8 for us, usually. Quantity over quality!

So now I'm back home. Wondering how 10 days could go so fast...

It's time for me to start looking into that travel assignment job. Hopefully the roll of the dice will put me somewhere where the themometer meaures less than 100 degrees on a daily basis, and the humidity is under 90 percent. Somewhere in the pacific northwest...perhaps???

(PS: NancyIL - I lifted and tweaked this from my myspace blog just for you!!!:) I hope your upcoming trip is just as fabulous... you've spent so much time planning and anticipating! Here's to great weather for you also!)

Welcome back, and thank you for your WONDERFUL review!!! (Yes, I've been watching for it, because you write such good ones!) And thank you for your good wishes for our trip. I hope you'll post a lot in the next 6 days! :)

The city bus to the airport might not have been the best use of your time, but if you'd taken the efficient taxi - there would be no story to tell! (Kind of reminds me of our time in London 2 years ago pre-cruise - when I said to my DH, "Let's just get on a bus and ride around"! I related that story in our Baltic trip report.)

I'd like to buy an Ulu knife, so can I ask where in Ketchikan you bought yours? I suppose that's something that has to go in checked baggage when you fly home, but I'd be worried about it not being in the suitcase when we got home.

Best of luck getting the travel assignment job. I know you mentioned Alaska as one possibility. :)

P.S. Now you have me looking at Mercury's itineraries for 2008! :) It goes to either Sitka or Prince Rupert instead of Skagway.

Welcome back, and thank you for your WONDERFUL review!!! (Yes, I've been watching for it, because you write such good ones!) And thank you for your good wishes for our trip. I hope you'll post a lot in the next 6 days! :)

The city bus to the airport might not have been the best use of your time, but if you'd taken the efficient taxi - there would be no story to tell! (Kind of reminds me of our time in London 2 years ago pre-cruise - when I said to my DH, "Let's just get on a bus and ride around"! I related that story in our Baltic trip report.)

I'd like to buy an Ulu knife, so can I ask where in Ketchikan you bought yours? I suppose that's something that has to go in checked baggage when you fly home, but I'd be worried about it not being in the suitcase when we got home.

Best of luck getting the travel assignment job. I know you mentioned Alaska as one possibility. :)

P.S. Now you have me looking at Mercury's itineraries for 2008! :) It goes to either Sitka or Prince Rupert instead of Skagway.

Hi Nancy,

It's been months since you were so helpful in helping us plan our land tour -- to think we were going to take a cruise land tour!

What is a ulu knife?

Hi Nancy,

It's been months since you were so helpful in helping us plan our land tour -- to think we were going to take a cruise land tour!

What is a ulu knife?

Hi, Barbara! I remember that "flurry" of posting back and forth months ago! I hope you'll have a great cruise and land trip!

I have a lot of knives, but nothing like the Ulu: http://www.ulu.com/

Nancy - If you want the basic, but very nice, everyday Ulu/block set by The Ulu Factory (made in Anchorage) all of the Tongass Trading shops in Ketchikan have them cheapest at $24.99. Much less than the factory store, even. Use the coupon in the free Alaska coupon booklet given out as you board ship either in Whittier or Vancouver for shipping of all purchases made in their 3 stores for $7.50 flat rate. I purchased 4 sets for gifts and a couple of other items, and just let them ship using the coupon.

As for a more 'unique' ulu... I purchased one at Sam McGee's (spelling?) on Creek Street boardwalk made by a local. It's made of antler, and I mailed it myself at the post office on Mission Street. Also, right before you start walking on Creek Street, there is a small shop (before you get to Dollie's House, same side) that sells beautiful birch ulu's and blocks/bowls. More expensive by far... but wonderful... maybe next trip!

I loved the Mercury, and'd be happy to sail her again anytime. But I think you'll love Princess! We did, and your ship is smaller than Sapphire, so I expect your cruise experience will be very similiar to ours on the Celebrity Mercury. :)

Thanks for the tip about the free shipping coupon. I think that's what I'll do, rather than worry about them taking up space or getting stolen on the way home. Maybe I'll start with the basic set, and then get a fancier one on the NEXT trip! :D

Thanks for the tip about the free shipping coupon. I think that's what I'll do, rather than worry about them taking up space or getting stolen on the way home. Maybe I'll start with the basic set, and then get a fancier one on the NEXT trip! :D

Oh, let me clarify this... the coupon booklet is free, given just prior to check in. The free booklet has a coupon in it for shipping at $7.50 flat fee. Unfortunately... not free shipping.:(

You'll love the basic Ulu Factory set. Just don't be enticed by those cheaper 'made in China' sets.:)

Oh, let me clarify this... the coupon booklet is free, given just prior to check in. The free booklet has a coupon in it for shipping at $7.50 flat fee. Unfortunately... not free shipping.:(

You'll love the basic Ulu Factory set. Just don't be enticed by those cheaper 'made in China' sets.:)

I understood what you meant. Apparently my brain wasn't engaged when I typed it! :eek:

Sym1966 - thanks for the great review! We'll be on Mercury in 25 days (can't wait!) and the only reviews so far was that it was a very boring cruise (which really bummed me out!) so it's nice to hear a positive review! I just have 2 questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) do you remember which nights were the formal nights? I'm assuming the first sea day and then on Hubbard Glacier cruising day, but you know what happens when you assume :o

2) Did you happen to notice if a decent % of men wore tuxes? DH will be renting one (he doesn't own a suit) for the cruise so I'm hoping that there is a fair share of men wearing them.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. I'm just soooooo excited about this cruise!

Christine

Thank ya'll for the nice comments! Hope your Celebrity cruises are as great as ours was!

kruisecat - Formal nights were as you assumed, first full day out, and glacier day! There were many tuxes... also many suits. My husband was one of the latter, with his western style bolo and boots, not exactly the norm for suits, even.

I believe you will be on one of Brent Nixon's last cruises as naturalist for Celebrity Mercury this season. He is great! Hope you can make some of his sessions.

kruisecat.... also, if you'd like, and if I can figure it out, I'll try to scan a couple of the activity day sheets for you. I saved them all for friends who are considering going, and would be happy to try to get a sample online someway for you.

Just let me know...:)

kruisecat.... also, if you'd like, and if I can figure it out, I'll try to scan a couple of the activity day sheets for you. I saved them all for friends who are considering going, and would be happy to try to get a sample online someway for you.

Just let me know...:)

Oh my gosh, that would be great!!! You can email them to me if that's easier for you c_kiene at yahoo dot com.

And thanks for the confirmation of the formal nights. All of our other cruises have been Carrib. and they all have the final sea day 2 days prior to disembarking and that is when the 2nd formal night has been. But we'll be in Ketchikan and I just didn't want to miss formal night.

I was so hoping that Brent would be on our cruise! I will surely keep my fingers crossed. I've read such great things about him here that I think I'll be a little dissapointed if he's not :)

Thanks again!

Kruisecat

• 3 weeks later...

kruisecat

I am SO sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! Likely, you are already on your cruise by now, and I am so sorry I'm just now able to be back online...

One of our numerous thunderstorms this spring FRIED my desktop computer... and after hearing costs to fix, I decided to forget it and order a new laptop.

I promise I did not ignore you and if you have not left yet, PLEASE let me know, and I will get my scanner hooked up to my laptop ASAP and get them emailed to you!!!

Again, so sorry! sym

Archived