Baltics vs. Greek Isle Cruise

I know it is a personal choice but just wondering if YOU had the choice - which one would you take and why?

Sandy

Ryndam - 5/96;Ryndam - 11/97; Ocean Breeze - 11/98; CrownPrincess - 9/99; Renaissance - 2/00; Volendam - 11/00; Sky - 2/01; Sun - 10/01; Horizon -11/01;Grandeur - 2/02; Grandeur - 9/02; Dream - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02
; Volendam - 3/03 ; Coral Princess - 5/03
; Grand Princess - 9/03; Rhapsody 4/04

Have done both many times, and IMHO the Med is far superior. Why? The weather, the various cultures, the history etc. The Scandanavian countries are very nice and clean (almost sterile) have a high standard of living (similar to the USA), etc. However, if given a choice between Rome vs Copenhagen, Florence vs Oslo, Santorini vs the Fjords, Roman ruins vs the Viking ruins, its no contest. The one exception (for me) would be St Petersburg, which was the highlight of our trips up North.

Hank

Agree with Hank here...
I've taken both...and enjoyed both...but, if I had to choose one, it's the Med for me...

As for the Baltic, St. Petersburg is fantastic...and we loved Gdansk and Tallinn...and Copenhagen is a great city to spend some time just soaking in...

But, the Baltic ports just can't match the history, archaeology, culture, variety and FOOD that you get with a Mediterranean cruise...

But, even though the Med may be my favorite...I plan on taking additional cruises over the next few years to BOTH...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

As usual, I agree with Steve. The cities he mentions as the high points of a Baltic Cruise. It is very hard to beat the ports in a Med cruise, especially if Santorini is one of them.

Mike

See our reviews and pictures at [url="http://www.thepreismans.com/"]Mike and Carol's Website[/url]

Costa Classica 3/94
Celebrity Mercury 4/98
Carnival Destiny 4/99
Crown Princess 7/01
Norwegian Star 11/01
Grand Princess 12/01
Sun Princess 3/02
Celebrity Constellation 11/02
Brilliance of the Seas 6/03
Navigator of the Seas 11/03
Jewel of the Seas 06/04
Tahitian Princess 02/05

Thanks Mike, Steve and Hank. Those are the kind of replys I was hoping for. Mike, I have read your reviews - wonderful! I want to go on both cruises!

Thanks again,
Sandy

Ryndam - 5/96;Ryndam - 11/97; Ocean Breeze - 11/98; CrownPrincess - 9/99; Renaissance - 2/00; Volendam - 11/00; Sky - 2/01; Sun - 10/01; Horizon -11/01;Grandeur - 2/02; Grandeur - 9/02; Dream - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02
; Volendam - 3/03 ; Coral Princess - 5/03
; Grand Princess - 9/03; Rhapsody 4/04

I would also emphasise the weather aspects. Yes, the weather in the Baltic can be beautiful, but it can also be truly awful. In one July we found ourselves in rainy weather in all the Scandanavian countries with temperatures in the low 50s (this is a bit rare, but not rare enough). Ironically, in St Petersburg we had perfect weather for two days. In the Med during the summer months, there is usually a large high pressure system which almost always provides clear skies and warm (or hot) temperatures. We have spent more than 6 months cruising in the Med and have only had two rainy days (knock on wood) in the coastal regions. This being said, we have had more than our share of lousy weather while driving around Europe in the summer. It seems like the bad weather often stops a few miles from the coast.

Hank

We've done and loved both. I would argue not to do Baltic unless you get 2 nights in St. Pete. That way you can do a Moscow excursion on the middle day. It was a long day but saw incredible stuff. Only way we'll probably ever get to see Moscow. If you can't get that itinerary, then I would wait on Baltics and do the Greek Islands.

Archived