Driving Anchorage to Seward

matt-heather

I am planning to drive from Anchorage to Seward and back.

I remember reading something about a tunnel that is not open 24 hours. Now I cannot remember the details or where I read it. I have tried searching the web and can only find information on the tunnel on route from Anchorage to Whittier.

Is there in fact a tunnel I need to be concerned about?

Thanks

Well, we're doing the same thing next week. I checked out the Milepost book from the library, so we studied all the information quite a bit. I think that the only tunnel that has to be dealt with is the one to Whittier. If you are only going to Seward, there should be no tunnel. If you are going to Whittier you can access the tunnel schedule over the Internet. The cars have to share the tunnel with the trains, so there is an exact schedule. The cars basically get to go through once an hour......takes 15 minutes. We have to work around that next Tuesday when we drive from Anchorage to Whittier in order to take a boat trip through the glaciers. Then we will drive down to Seward, but don't expect any tunnels.

There is no tunnel to worry about to Seward. If you plan to drive there and back in one day, that will be tough, if you plan to stop and see the sights and take a Kenai Fjords tour or something else in Seward. We took the better part of a day getting down there, even though driving time is only about 3-3.5 hrs.

This really isn't a day trip as there are just so many wonderful activities in Seward to do that surpass the drive in my opinion. Better would be to consider just staying by the Arm, maybe with a trip to Hope, a look at Portage Glacier, Girdwood, hiking??? You need at least an overnight in Seward. Again - as mentioned the tunnel is to Whittier, not Seward.

Thanks for the information.

We are not planning to drive there and back in one day.

Actually we are going to leave Anchorage Sunday a.m. and drive to Seward, taking as long as it takes, expecting it to take all day.

Staying in Seward overnight, taking a Kenai Fjords tour Monday, driving back to Anchorage Monday evening.

Archived