First Time Cruiser Questions Jan.2008

amaorchid

Hello all!

My fiancee and I will be married December 15th this year. We are very much interested in taking a cruise for our honeymoon. After much research we decided that HAL would be a great line for us as we are in our late 30's and are looking for a traditional, relaxing cruise. I noticed that the prices are better in January after the holidays so we are willing to wait a few weeks after the wedding for our honeymoon.

I was checking out the 01/06/08 Westerdam and the 01/12/08 Zuiderdam. I know that they are almost exactly the same. Is there any differences or preferences that any of you HAL experts can see between the two?

Also we were looking to book a GG level to let some light in the cabin. I would love a balcony but unfortunately after paying for the wedding that's not an option. How bad are the GG views obstructed?

I was quoted @ $1700 for GG (including taxes). Should I go for it now, or with it being a January cruise, wait for a last minute deal?

We are both so excited and can't wait to enjoy our cruising experience! Being lazy sounds great right now!

Thank you for these boards and for everyone's participation. Reading CC has already taught me so much!:)

I was checking out the 01/06/08 Westerdam and the 01/12/08 Zuiderdam. I know that they are almost exactly the same. Is there any differences or preferences that any of you HAL experts can see between the two?
They're not "almost exactly the same" right now. The Westerdam has just completed its SOE upgrades, but the Z'dam won't get hers until Apr 2008. So, the W'dam will be more "spiffed up" than the Z'dam until then. The biggest change you're likely to see is that the Explorations Cafe has been moved into the Crow's Nest.
Also we were looking to book a GG level to let some light in the cabin. I would love a balcony but unfortunately after paying for the wedding that's not an option. How bad are the GG views obstructed?
Basically you're looking at the side of a lifeboat, and your only "view" is some sky. For a little more money (probably about $60/person) you could get a G where you'll be able to see water between the lifeboats.
I was quoted @ $1700 for GG (including taxes). Should I go for it now, or with it being a January cruise, wait for a last minute deal?

For a honeymoon, lock it in now, IMO! :) You'll have enough other things to worry about later!! :D

p.s. - welcome to the HAL board as a poster rather than a lurker!:D

Thank you both so very much for your input. It's wonderful to find such a friendly group full of so much good information. Besides this website and HAL website, are there any other good places to get an online "fix"? I am a huge reader and would love to maintain my "addiction". I can already tell...this is the start of something HUGE!:D

Have you tried tripadvisor.com? They have a section for cruises now, plus lots of good information about hotels, etc. etc. for when we cruisers go early or stay late after a cruise :) They have world-wide information, we've used that site a lot!

Just make sure that you ONLY pay the down payment. Then you can watch the prices and make changes/get lower rates as they come along. But YOU will have to be the watch dog on this. I learned the hard way last year and paid in full and had a HUGE problem with my TA and such to get my money back.

Also, I'm not familiar with where you are cruising, but DH and I had a balcony and NEVER used it. We were in the South Caribbean. Next time (unless it's Alaska) we will be in an inside and save money for other things. But that's JMO.

You actually sound a lot like I sounded a year ago when we were preparing for OUR first cruise. I LOVED cruising, and I'm sure you and your new DH will too. Welcom to CC!! Oh! And there are things you can pre-order to have in your room. And don't forget to tell EVERYONE that you're on your honeymoon. ;)

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage & taking your first cruise..

Before you book with HAL, suggest you investigate some of the Travel Agents who advertise on Cruise Critic..You can send all of them an e-mail or phone them & request a price on the cabin which you are interested in..Most of them will give you a much better price than HAL will..Perhaps you could even have an upgraded cabin for that price..

Good luck & welcome to Cruise Critic..

Archived