White Pass Rail

EscapeMN

we took the rail based on two things. I knew someone who had gone and he told me he thought it was one of the best excursions, only the helicopter glacier landing and short trek being better. Two, we love trains and this promised to be an exceptionally scenic rail ride.

WE took the ship's excursion because we liked the convenience of not having to walk into town to get on the train.

The rail cars we were on were predominantly two seats per side, with a restroom in the front of the car. I think the cars each seated about 40 people or so. From a center door you could access a small viewing platform. It was a lot of fun standing out there and it was a great place to take pictures from, but due to the small size it was great that most of the passengers were considerate and went out for a few minutes and then came back inside to let others have a turn.

Our entire ride was narrated, both up and back down, but I've heard that some trains are only narrated on the way up. The train we were on (12:30 ish excursion) went further than some, about 20 some miles and then completely turned around, on a circle, in Canada. WE could not get off the train however.

The scenery is beautiful. There is a spot high up from which you can see the ships' pier. The photos I have of the cruise ships docked taken from the train are some of my favorites.

WE were each given a small water and there were some train people selling something (narrated video maybe?) but we didn't buy anything.

If you like trains and or history, you can't go wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by debihen:
Did you have any children on board? Did they enjoy the ride?

Bon Voyage!
Debbie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

we didn't have any children on board, but we often took ours on train rides in the lower 48 that they enjoyed and I think they would have enjoyed this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by debihen:
Did you have any children on board? Did they enjoy the ride?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had several children in our group when we went, ranging in age from 9 months to 6.5 years. The younger ones did get a bit restless. The train ride itself was fun, but there isn't much room for them to move around and they only enjoy so much scenery before getting bored. I think this trip is more appropriate for older kids, say 5+ years and/or those who are big fans of trains. It isn't "inappropriate" for toddlers, but as always with kids that age, you should be prepared to keep them amused if they get bored. You may want to bring your own snacks from the ship since kids always seem to get hungry when you are on outings. IIRC the only thing they sell on the train is candy, and feeding candy to an already restless toddler is generally not a good idea. ;-)

Sherry

Carnival Spirit - July 11, 2001

The White Pass Railroad is popular becouse of its history and the great scenery it crosses. The train cars date from the 1920's I believe. Skagway itself lends abinence to the experience becouse it has been restored to the look of 100 years ago. First you leave from an old West town on an antque train and cross glacial valleys and mountain streams on a historic route towards the Yukon. After crossing over what seems like the top of the world, I got off in Frasier BC.

My husband wants to take this but I am concerned about the size of the seats for a long trip. We are both larger people who don't feel very comfotable on planes so I was worried that wqe would be scrunched up and miserable on this train. Does anyone have any insight to the size of the seats? Thanks!

My husband and I did the White Pass Railroad tour as well. We are train buffs, and thought it was a once in a life time opportunity to ride on a narrow gauge railroad (tracks are closer together than say Amtrak. We absolutely loved the tour. Definitely sit on the left side of the train, you'll see more. Also, take lots of film.

And, the seats, you can each have your own if you want. There was plenty of room in at least the car we were in!

Once we reached Canada, we stopped, and everyone got off the train and onto a bus. We then drove back down to Skagway. Along the way, we stopped for about an hour in Liarsville (cute, but a little cheesy, but interesting stories nonethe less) for a skit, and gold panning. It was fun, and we enjoyed it tremendously.

7/02 NCL Wind - Alaska (honeymoon)
7/03 NCL Star -Hawaii (1st anniversary)
10/04 RCI Legend - Panama Canal (just because it's there)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fabnsab:
My husband wants to take this but I am concerned about the size of the seats for a long trip. We are both larger people who don't feel very comfotable on planes so I was worried that wqe would be scrunched up and miserable on this train. Does anyone have any insight to the size of the seats? Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my dh is large and I'm not small, same goes for the other couples we were with. We were all fine with the seats. More room than your typical air plane or bus.

Archived