What are you paying for your cruise?

extreme

I asked elsewhere the difference between a 2 star and 3 star hotel and was told it is mostly if there is a restaurant in the hotel or not. I got a 3 star thru Orbitz, but it doesnt sound that hot to me, so even a 3 star is not going to be top notch. Another thing that makes a hotel a 3 star is a exercise room at the hotel, well since we dont plan on using it, not much good to me. But neither of these are required to be a 3 star, they said just if they have them them get more points toward the star rating, but it can still be a 3 star without either a on site resutarant or exercise room. confusing huh?

The difference between 2 stars and 3 stars seems pretty subjective to me. You have to get up into the 4 star ratings to be sure of getting a really nice hotel if that is what you want.

We (two adults) are paying $1369 each for an 8-night Christmas/New Years cruise on the Spirit this year. The cabin is a BL Guarantee, and pricing has already risen slightly by $80/person since we booked.

Hotel star rating: I was told by a TA that the hotels set their own star rating, so I should not go by rating points alone. If I am in doubt of quality I usually check tripadvisor dot com or some other review site - and even then you never really know if the reviews are accurate or by a troll, but if there are many reviews that are in agreement it's a pretty good sign of truthfulness.

since we are all basically here to learn from each other here is what I have learned about cruise pricing. First off the summer, christmas and new years and march spring breaks are the highest price time frames. The new ships during these times are a little more too. I have found that sailing in Jan Feb is great and priced really good. It give us a chance to escape the cold midwest. In Feb 2006 we sailed on the Victory for 7 days at a price of $429 per person for an inside. Where can you go in the Caribbean in the dead of winter with all your meals included for $429 per person for a week? That was a great deal. Also Sept is cheap because even though official hurricane season is in the summer Sept seems to be stormy. We are sailing July 15 Valor for $640 per person for inside. We do enjoy a discount same as military so that helps too. Hope this sharing helps out.

We are paying $1459.04 total per couple on an 8 day cruise on the Liberty next January. We all have IS guarantees. Price has already gone up $50pp since we booked in March.

Now just to find some decent airline tickets without 5 hours layovers somewhere! :p

I tried to edit my post to read...

"$649 pp before taxes and all"

but it won't let me. Say's I don't "have permission" when I try to edit. Huh? :confused:

You may want to check with your pvp on that one. Looks like a price drop for IS to $599 pp for that guarantee. 100 bucks is 100 bucks.

I was just looking at alternatives for my 8-day eastern carib cruise next april and noticed that the price difference on the older ships is huge. I could save $1,000 for my family by doing the 7-day eastern carib cruise on an older ship. That's a lot of cash just for the pleasure of going on the Liberty. I could even get a suite and save money. But I liked the Liberty (did the 6-day Western) and maybe it would be a letdown going on an older ship. Tough choice.

Conquest September - we got in with a group!!! so our rate was $562 for a 4A, Total including gratuities, port etc taxes and we get $100 per cabin ship credit and chocolates and champagne!! How could we all pass up this good deal!! Now excited about my first ever cruise!:D

Just sticking my 2 cents in on the priceline and hotwire thing. I have probably booked 10-15 hotel rooms this way. On hotwire you can choose to have a room with up to four people and they will give you two beds. If you just put in two people the rate will be cheaper, but if you end up having another they will not let you pay for a rollaway, at least they would not let me. After booking through priceline I call and confirm and have always gotten two beds. If you check in as soon as they allow, usually 4-5, you have the best chance of getting two beds, but I have never had a prob. getting that even checking in at 8 pm. 2 star through hotwire usually= holiday inn or howard johnson(but my most recent time a 3 star was holiday inn). 3 star through priceline has been hilton and 4 star hyatt regency. Hotwire downsizes star ratings. If you find a hotel on other sites that is a 2 star, hotwire usually lists it as a 3 star. So if you use them, bid up a little higher for what you want. Hope this helps. I only use these sites to book. I have never had a bad hotel except when booking a two star hotel. They have also always been in excellent locations. I just paid $49 for the holiday inn in the french quarter.

I use priceline regularly, but am considering Hotwire for Fort Lauderdale for Dec. for family of five. When I put in 2adults and 2 kids, some of the suites disappear that were there on search for 2 adults only. Also, if there is a price difference for same hotel (btn 2 or 4 people), what would happen if you booked under 2 people only? Not sure if I am making any sense.

OK, I'll bite on the surface lure that started this site and here's my 2 cents. It is impossible to compare cruise pricing unless you resolve the oranges/apples question which can be very difficult. Timing, guarantee or not, type of cabin, decks, location on deck, which ship, hurricane season or not, insurance, taxes, port fees, VIP status, number in cabin, cabin availability, and on and on and on! Even then, you can get a price and send in a deposit and 6 months later, call and some times get a lower price when making final payment.

Also on Cruise Critic, I don't care if your uncle owns Carnival and you got the cruise for free, some one would write and tell you they got a better deal. It's just human nature. So I am throwing off this surface lure and continuing with my day. Better luck next time!

I'm happy with my price for October -- $717 total after taxes, port fees, and travel insurance. That's a smidge over $100 per day. Now I just have to add airfare, Miami hotel for a night, and a tuxedo jacket and shirt :rolleyes:

Inspiration 5day August

Booked 4A, past guest upgrade 4E

4 people = 1540.28 w/taxes, insurance and port fees

airfare r/t = 747.20 w/ insurance

hotel = 156.79 pre-cruise w/ taxes

passports = 209.00 kids

Total = 2653.27

Not to bad. We are going to have to add excursions, yet.

Photos, souviners, soda cards and tips. Just about as much

as we spent on Disney for a week, without the food added.

We really look into the trips during the time we want to go and compare prices, then book early and check for price drops usually works out good for us ! We have already saved or took 360.00 off the price of our next cruise from price drops! Infact we have been lucky in that area each cruise price has dropped and Carnival will match the price if you book with a PVP.

We really look into the trips during the time we want to go and compare prices, then book early and check for price drops usually works out good for us ! We have already saved or took 360.00 off the price of our next cruise from price drops! Infact we have been lucky in that area each cruise price has dropped and Carnival will match the price if you book with a PVP.

i know this may sound stupid to most of you but is a pvp a private vacation planner? and how do you go about getting carnival to match the new lower price? is it by simply calling carnival directly and asking to have them match it or am i missing something? thanks....

i know this may sound stupid to most of you but is a pvp a private vacation planner? and how do you go about getting carnival to match the new lower price? is it by simply calling carnival directly and asking to have them match it or am i missing something? thanks....

PVPs (personal vacation planners) work for Carnival. Since your deposit is fully refundable up to a certain number of days before the cruise, they will match any price reduction or special from the time you book your cruise to the date when final payment is due. Periodically, I'll go into travelocity.com and check prices for the category I'm booking. If that price is lower than the one I have, I'll drop an e-mail to my PVP and get a response and price reduction/upgrade within 24 hours. I suppose TAs would do the same. I feel more comfortable doing this with my PVP. She's great and quick.

What may be inexpensive to you, may be very pricey to me.

Those that do know what I am paying tell me it is a great deal, to me it is very very expensive.

For example, without giving you the price, I am sailing out of Sydney Australia on the Sapphire Princess for a 12 day cruise, and I am on the Emerald deck in an "E" category cabin, with a partially obstructed OV.

Those that have cruised that ship, on that deck have told me that an E PO OV is the best partially obstructed you can get.

I am honestly wondering what each of you would deem a good price for this cruise?

I am honestly wondering what each of you would deem a good price for this cruise?

I think $200 is a pretty good price. ;)

Seriously, though, a cruise like that isn't going to be cheap, but I have seen some "deals" mailed to me that put an inside in the $100/pp range. So, just to answer your question, for a partially obstructed view on Princess to Australia, based on what I've seen, I'd think it would go for the neighborhood of $1600/pp or so. Now I'm curious how far off I am. ;)

Archived