FAQs about Saint John, New Brunswick

Thanks acey, I checked that site out. I does make the museum seem a little small for such a long trip. I've still got time to decide exactly what to do. We were looking at road maps and there seems to be alot to see so we may head to Moucton/Memramcook area and just turn around once we hit the half time point ( with extra leeway) to make it to the ship.

Just wanted to say thanks to Acey and Sapper for posting such interesting facts and tidbits about the cruise I am taking this week. I picked up the thread hoping that some ppl who had gone already would repost after the got home but no such luck :( Anyway, Acey your top 25 FAQ was really helpful...thanks again!

I know this seems like a silly question but where is the closest TH to where we will be docking on the Explorer? My DH is a TH coffee drinker but on the cruises he endures the ships coffee. I thought it would be a treat to get a coffee when we stop in St. John's and Halifax.

Peace, Anna:)

I know this seems like a silly question but where is the closest TH to where we will be docking on the Explorer? My DH is a TH coffee drinker but on the cruises he endures the ships coffee. I thought it would be a treat to get a coffee when we stop in St. John's and Halifax.

Peace, Anna:)

If you are talking about Saint John. New Brunswick, and not St. John's, Newfoundland, there are a few TH's scattered about the uptown area. There is one near the fountain in Market Square, another as you enter the second level of Brunswick Square walking through the pedway from Market Square, and quite a nice new one as you walk up King Street---on the right hand side just before you come to King's Square. I think Saint John has more TH's per capita than any other place in Canada. They are real neighbourhood gathering places where one is sure to run into a friend to sit and have a chat with.

First of all a big Thanks for all the wonderful help on Saint John, Sapper1. I am looking to see Covered Bridges, in Halifax we are taking a tour to Peggy's Cove would we see Covered Bridges along the way? Can I hire a taxi in Saint John that could drive me to Covered Bridges that would be a full tour in no more than two hours? We are really looking forward to our trip to Canada, I booked it in hopes of seeing the fall foliage but I'm more excited in seeing the history and culture.

Karen

First of all a big Thanks for all the wonderful help on Saint John, Sapper1. I am looking to see Covered Bridges, in Halifax we are taking a tour to Peggy's Cove would we see Covered Bridges along the way? Can I hire a taxi in Saint John that could drive me to Covered Bridges that would be a full tour in no more than two hours? We are really looking forward to our trip to Canada, I booked it in hopes of seeing the fall foliage but I'm more excited in seeing the history and culture.

Karen

There are two charming covered bridges in St. Martins that you would be able to get to in about 45 minutes or so. You would be able to stroll through them---No charge as they are part of the road system. You would also be able to capture both of them in the same photograph.

There is also another covered bridge about 25 minutes outside Saint John in the Quispamsis area. Just get the driver to take you out the Stockfarm Road and turn left at Hwy 860---It is right after you make the turn and crosses the Hammond River. It is clearly visable on Google Maps but the St. Martins area is quite blurry on a zoom in.

There is a covered bridge just east of Saint John at the approach to Darlings Island in Nauwigewauk. It is clearly visable just off Highway 100 on Google Maps.--about 30 minutes from Saint John. A new bridge was built just next to it but the locals didn't want to lose their covered bridge so both are still there.

Maybe Acey can help me out here as I can't think offhand of another one within your time frame right now.

There are two charming covered bridges in St. Martins that you would be able to get to in about 45 minutes or so. You would be able to stroll through them---No charge as they are part of the road system. You would also be able to capture both of them in the same photograph.

There is also another covered bridge about 25 minutes outside Saint John in the Quispamsis area. Just get the driver to take you out the Stockfarm Road and turn left at Hwy 860---It is right after you make the turn and crosses the Hammond River. It is clearly visable on Google Maps but the St. Martins area is quite blurry on a zoom in.

There is a covered bridge just east of Saint John at the approach to Darlings Island in Nauwigewauk. It is clearly visable just off Highway 100 on Google Maps.--about 30 minutes from Saint John. A new bridge was built just next to it but the locals didn't want to lose their covered bridge so both are still there.

Maybe Acey can help me out here as I can't think offhand of another one within your time frame right now.

thank you so much, I am so glad I found you on the Boards you have been an awesome help. The city of Saint John need you on their payroll to promote the city, you do a really great job. Again Thanks

thank you so much, I am so glad I found you on the Boards you have been an awesome help. The city of Saint John need you on their payroll to promote the city, you do a really great job. Again Thanks

So happy to be of assistance!!

I looked at your amazing Alaska photos---That is a cruise my husband and I would like to take one of these days.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Saint John.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to you both for the wonderful information.

We will be staying close to the ship (since we have a special needs child) and it is good to know there is a lot to walk and see in that area!!!

Our day is planned!!!

Avis location address is 4 Water Street. Is this the Avis near the shuttle stop?

Many thanks and I so excited to visit!

If your ship docks at Long Wharf, the shuttle will take you to Water St. across from the Avis location you mentioned above. If you dock at Pugsley Terminal, you walk off ship, turn left onto Water St. and Avis is 2 blocks down on the right hand side. You can easily walk along the boardwalk from Long Wharf to Avis in about 10 min.

Enterprise rent a car is another option if you dock at Long Wharf. Exit the gates and in front of you is a large building with a blue roof called "Harbour Station". (it's clearly marked) Enterprise rent a car is across the street from the far end of Harbour Station.

We are going to be in Saint John in October 17th Crown Princess, i need to know is the jetboat tour to reversing falls is going to be open that day, thank you.

Their season ends Sept. 30th - but claim they accommodate groups if requested in the off season. My advice would be to call them to find out for sure 1-888-634-8987

Their season ends Sept. 30th - but claim they accommodate groups if requested in the off season. My advice would be to call them to find out for sure 1-888-634-8987

Thank you for the Info....i am going to check all the Info about Saint John NB and if i have another question i let you know.

Thank you very much for your help.:)

Thanks for all the useful information, Acey. We will be in port on Sept. 25th. We were thinking of visiting the Reversing Falls and St. Andrew's, however after reading your useful information, I'm not sure it would be the best two attractions. If we were to go to St. Andrew's, is there public transportation?

Thanks, again.

For St. Andrew's you should book direct transportation through the ship. There is an intercity bus service that stops in St. Andrew's, however this will not work for you as far as departure times and time contraints for the day.

IMO don't feel you need to book an excursion - the best part of Saint John is right where the ship docks. There is plenty to do in a relaxed laid back day on shore.

OK, I just need to be clear about this. If I have a excursion, through the ship, starting at 2:00, and I forget to change my watch, that means that it will be 1:00 my time? I remember when we went to Bermuda, they did remind us the night before, to change our watches. Thanks. Hope I don't sound too dumb.

Hello Acey,

It appears I waited too long to sign up and the ships photograpy tour is full. Do you know of any other photography tours in St. John? I have been searching and searching the internet with no luck.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

My first thought was to just follow close behind the photography tour group and look at what they are looking at.

Where the ship docks is the historical Trinity Royal, basically the oldest neighborhood in Canada. My advice is to head to the tourism bureau in City Hall (near ship - local guide will point you right there) and pick up 3 pamplets on walking tours for the uptown. They are Prince William's Walk; Loyalist Trail; and the Victorian Stroll. These walks will take you past everything you would want to take a picture of. The history and photogenic of the city will be obvious and I really see no need to pay for a guide. The pamplets may be available from the local guides as you exit the ship.

If you would like info on possible guided tours (which I am not sure about), I wiuld email the Fundy Camera Club at ivon1oh1@gmail.com

Hopefully they should be able to let you know if there is a tour.

Archived