FAQs about Saint John, New Brunswick

Just back from our Canada/New England cruise on the Crown Princess.

We walked from where the Crown docked to the Avis car rental. It took about 15 minutes. We discovered that we did not have unlimited mileage and quickly realized that would double our rental charge but decided to go ahead.

We drove to Bouctouche, St. Martin's, and back to Saint John. The area is very beautiful. The highway is smooth and not very busy compared to what we are used to. We enjoyed our drive.

Would recommend that most folks do a tour closer in and then the 200 km included in the rental rates probably would be enough and you could go at a more leisurely pace.

Anyway I just wanted to thank Acey and everyone on this thread for the info that made our visit very enjoyable. Thank you.

I am hoping the "local experts" on this thread can give me their opinion on Irving Nature Park. I was reading some info and was attracted to the fact that there is supposedly a lot of seals in this park in mid-October. We will be in Saint John on October 16 and I am wondering if 1) what is the chance there will be seals to see?, 2) are there other places to see seals? and 3) is this park worth visiting? Any information you can share would be most helpful.

Thanks!

I am hoping the "local experts" on this thread can give me their opinion on Irving Nature Park. I was reading some info and was attracted to the fact that there is supposedly a lot of seals in this park in mid-October. We will be in Saint John on October 16 and I am wondering if 1) what is the chance there will be seals to see?, 2) are there other places to see seals? and 3) is this park worth visiting? Any information you can share would be most helpful.

Thanks!

If you like hiking and appreciating the beauty of the coast, you will love the Irving Nature Trail---I know I certainly do. There is no charge to use the park and it takes a little over two hours to hike completely around it. Take water and a snack as there are no concession stands. You may see seals if you sit on the rocks and watch for a while on the Bay of Funday side of the trail .

Another place to see seals is by the Reversing Falls Restaurant as the seals like to fish right where the water rushes under the Reversing Falls Bridge into the harbour. If you eat in the restaurant ask for a table in the back room by the window and you can often watch the seals while you eat. I mean the main restaurant up by the bridge and not the other one down into the parking lot.

You can sometimes see the harbour seals as you walk along Harbour Passage---the cranberry coloured trail that starts just off the boardwalk that runs behind the Hilton Hotel.

Thanks for the information. It appears that the excursion through the ship is full. If we wanted to do it on our own what would be the best way to get there? Could we get around the park without a car? Thanks again!

No problem!!---Just get a taxi to take you there. It is only ten minutes or less, depending on traffic. However, you will want a cell phone to call the taxi to come back for you as there are no phones over there---or at least there weren't any the last time I was there. Have the taxi drive you up into the parking lot area and the trails start from there.

There are several points around the trail perimeter where you can exit up onto the road to walk out of the park if you find the trail is taking too long or if you get tired.

• 3 weeks later...
I would just like to add that I really loved the roses and pins given out here.

That is such a wonderful touch from the people of Saint John. We look forward to returning!!!

So glad that you enjoyed the trip to Saint John. The next time you come, there will be a brand new terminal. The morning paper said that tenders have just been called for an eight million dollar reception building and park to replace the marquee style tents that have been used in the past. The new terminal building is due to be ready next summer.

• 2 weeks later...
So glad that you enjoyed the trip to Saint John. The next time you come, there will be a brand new terminal. The morning paper said that tenders have just been called for an eight million dollar reception building and park to replace the marquee style tents that have been used in the past. The new terminal building is due to be ready next summer.

Wow...that would be nice...although the tent worked well the day we were there. Everyone was so nice. They certainly represented the area well!!!

Acey, thank you so much for answering almost all my questions. Now if you can tell me the temperature in June I will be forever greatful. I am a Florida gal and really do not love cold weather. Am I going to be a happy cruiser come June 13th? or should I stick to the Caribbean. Dot

Acey, thank you so much for answering almost all my questions. Now if you can tell me the temperature in June I will be forever greatful. I am a Florida gal and really do not love cold weather. Am I going to be a happy cruiser come June 13th? or should I stick to the Caribbean. Dot

I happened to see your question and I don't know if Acey is still checking this forum now that the cruising season is over.

There is no easy answer re the weather in June. We are a seaport and June can be quite foggy----or not. If it is foggy it will be quite damp, misty and bone chillingly cool. It may be low sixties or high fifties. If it is clear and sunny it tends to be high sixties or low seventies.

July and August are really safer months if you want hot weather. ---high seventies or eighties. However if the fog decides to make an appearance then it will be cool.

If you go inland during the foggy days there will be no fog and it will be very warm--even in June.

I hope Acey does not mind me answering his question but I know people like to book their cruises well in advance.

We were there in at the end of September, first of October and it was very comfortable.

Our New England/ Canada cruise reminded us a lot of our Alaska cruise weather wise. We went to Alaska in July 2005 and were prepared to "layer" and had ponchos for wet weather...but ended up not needing any of that.

Perhaps we just have great weather follow us!!! :D

We love Caribbean cruises as well...but personally, I would take another trip to Canada before St Thomas...but then that is just me...

We were there in at the end of September, first of October and it was very comfortable.

Our New England/ Canada cruise reminded us a lot of our Alaska cruise weather wise. We went to Alaska in July 2005 and were prepared to "layer" and had ponchos for wet weather...but ended up not needing any of that.

We did have a beautiful fall this year. It is sometimes the best time of year here. The humidity of the summer is gone and we still have some lovely warm weather----and little fog.

I am not sure if I am going to thank you or not. Oh my goodness that is down right cold weather for me. Today it is high of 79 degrees and a low in the high 50's. I guess I had better bring something other an my "car coat" which is a light jacket. I better bring my overcoat (haha). I do appreciate you time in answering me. I think I will look for a windbreaker that is lined and waterproof. It's so hard to pack for weather like this when we will be leaving Florida with high's in the 90's. I can hardly wait. I will just bundle up and love every minute of it. Again, thank you, Dot

Acey...are you with the Meet & Greet's"

No - I'm just a local guy that tries to cruise once a year (I booked Celebrity Millenium for Jan. 6th). When I cruise I always appreciated the help I received from cruisecritic so wanted to give back - that's why I became active in this group.

I would like to revise the FAQ's as some things have changed ie. apparently Hertz is no longer located in Market Sq. Feel free to offer suggestions/things to add/remove :)

I am not sure if I am going to thank you or not. Oh my goodness that is down right cold weather for me. Today it is high of 79 degrees and a low in the high 50's. I guess I had better bring something other an my "car coat" which is a light jacket. I better bring my overcoat (haha). I do appreciate you time in answering me. I think I will look for a windbreaker that is lined and waterproof. It's so hard to pack for weather like this when we will be leaving Florida with high's in the 90's. I can hardly wait. I will just bundle up and love every minute of it. Again, thank you, Dot

I have the same problem in reverse when I pack to drive to Florida. We leave home in winter parkas and boots but have the shorts and light jackets packed. We need warm clothing for the first few days and then change as we get further south. It makes for a lot of packing.

I should also mention that even if it is very warm in Saint John and Halifax, it will be cold at sea. The water of the Bay of Fundy and the north Atlantic are very cold and that affects the air temperatures. Even in the summer when it is in the 80's on land it can be quite cold out on the water. You may want a sweater under that lined windbreaker.

• 4 weeks later...
What great information! We will be crusing (Carnival Victory) in July 08. Is is possible to take a bus to a beach. We have 6 in our party including two 13 yr old girls who want to swim.

I would suggest you go to the beach at the lake in Rockwood Park which would be about a five minute cab ride from the dock. The Bay of Fundy is very cold and I would not go in the water if my life depended on it!!!!

There is a refreshment stand at the beach I mentioned, as well as washrooms. There is also a children's playground near the beach , as well as a few trails through the park. Take bread to feed the ducks---I always do when I go walking in the park.

The bus would go by the entrance to Rockwood Park but a cab would take you right into the beach area.----past the pavillion, up the hill to the parking lot by the playground and horse barn. You walk through the playground to the beach. If the children would like, people also wander through the barn and look at the horses.

If you really want to swim in frigid water, there is a beach out the Red Head Road on the Bay of Fundy. It would be about a 10 minute cab ride---don't know if the bus goes out there or not. Acey maybe would know if he reads this. He is much better than I am re bus schedules.

In both cases it would be good to have cell phones to call your cab for your return.

If the weather is bad there is the Canada Games Aquatic Centre located off the pedway system between Market Square and Brunswick Square.

As I don't know which dock you will be at, just ask a volunteer greeter for directions to walk to Market Square. After you enter ,take the escalator up to the second level and start through the pedway system. At the top of the second escalator, turn left and walk down the corridor. You will be able to see the centre through the glass windows to your left. Just continue down to the end of the corridor to the desk. Don't go down the stairs before you come to the desk.!!!!

I think the Canada Games Aquatic Centre is a great suggestion, and I am surprised it is not promoted to cruise ship visitors. The facility has an Olympic size pool with tarzan rope, diving boards and platform, 3 other leisure pools with waterslide and waterfalls, water toys, volleyball net in water, whirlpools and steamroom - and is located a few minutes walk from wherever your ship docks. I know I would prefer the option there as a kid then a beach. And it's very affordable - like $20 for family of four.

http://www.aquatics.nb.ca/

Fully lifeguarded for your peace of mind.

The city bus does not go as far as Mispec Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived