FAQs about Saint John, New Brunswick

Our hospitality will warm you up :)

Acey:

Thank you so much for starting this thread. Your FAQs were very helpful. I think we will try Billy's this time for seafood.

We have been to St. John before and the locals are the friendliest and most hospitable in all of Canada, if not all of North America.

I look forward to returning to the warm hospitality of St. John.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much. My DD & I will be visiting in June, it's good to know there will be plenty to keep us occupied close to port.

This may be a silly question but I'll ask...will the seals be out and about the middle of June? I know DD would love to see them.

Yes you can see them in June - they are not always around playing - you just sortof have to scan the water and you'll see them pop their head up and take a peak at you. For every ten walks down on the harbourfront I may spot them only 3 or 4 times.

We will be there the end of August and we were looking at the Princess tour that lets you get up close to the Reversing Falls. Is this tour worth it? Not the jet boat ride but the tour that takes you on a boat up close to them.

Yes you can see them in June - they are not always around playing - you just sortof have to scan the water and you'll see them pop their head up and take a peak at you. For every ten walks down on the harbourfront I may spot them only 3 or 4 times.

Thanks for the info. We will have fun looking for them and watching them playing in the water.

We will be there the end of August and we were looking at the Princess tour that lets you get up close to the Reversing Falls. Is this tour worth it? Not the jet boat ride but the tour that takes you on a boat up close to them.

Let's just say that if you have done the "Maid of the Mist" you are bound to be disappointed. The falls are not actually a waterfall--just extreme rapids. The phenomenum is the "reversing factor" While the boat trip up the harbour to the mouth of the river is quite interesting, there would be no thrill factor, if that is what you are looking for.

To my mind the best vantage point for viewing the falls is from the Reversing Falls Park. That is not the restaurant viewing area, although from that vantage point you can see where the St. John River empties into the harbour and there are often seals fishing in the water there. In previous summers there has been a water taxi that runs from the Market Slip area to the Falls Restaurant dock. Walk accross the Reversing Falls bridge from the restaurant and turn left immediately onto Douglas Avenue. Walk up to Fallsview Avenue and turn left and walk down into the park. It shouldn't take more than ten minutes, if that. It is kind of a ratty, unmanicured park but it will afford you a great view of the falls at low tide. That is the same area the jet boat ride departs from, so you can watch if you choose not to participate.

If you eat in the restaurant ask to sit in the back room by a window where you can watch the river. It changes all the time with the ebb and flow of the tide.

You can also walk to the Falls from the ship dock in about 30 minutes. Just ask one of the volunteers at the pier to direct you to Harbour Passage. Walk almost to the end to the observation deck with the blue roof. Climb the stairs and cross the street at the lights and walk up the hill to Douglas Avenue, turn left and walk down to Fallsview Avenue and turn right.

You can check out these directions on Google Maps to make them clearer for you. Enjoy your stay in Saint John.

My dh and I are taking our first cruise in June 08 on the Carnival Victory to Saint Johns. Thanks to your hard work on this website, we feel very prepared and excited about the trip. We have booked a ride on the speed boats at the reversing falls at 2:20 pm local time, so we have to be there around 1:30 pm. We are hoping to eat lunch at Billy's (the menu looks sooo yummy!), and do some sightseeing in Saint johns, but we would also really like to visit one the places where you can walk on the ocean floor and explore some of the caves. Do we have to go all the way to Saint Martins to do this? If so, would we have enough time if we took a taxi directly there when we leave the ship? Can we get a taxi to pick us up when we are ready to leave the caves? Any tips on how to fit it all in would be great! Thanks again for all the information you have shared already!

My dh and I are taking our first cruise in June 08 on the Carnival Victory to Saint Johns. Thanks to your hard work on this website, we feel very prepared and excited about the trip. We have booked a ride on the speed boats at the reversing falls at 2:20 pm local time, so we have to be there around 1:30 pm. We are hoping to eat lunch at Billy's (the menu looks sooo yummy!), and do some sightseeing in Saint johns, but we would also really like to visit one the places where you can walk on the ocean floor and explore some of the caves. Do we have to go all the way to Saint Martins to do this? If so, would we have enough time if we took a taxi directly there when we leave the ship? Can we get a taxi to pick us up when we are ready to leave the caves? Any tips on how to fit it all in would be great! Thanks again for all the information you have shared already!

Your ship arrives in Saint John on June 12th and on that day low tide is at 2:17 PM - however you can explore the caves and walk on the ocean floor approx. two hours before and after the low tide point. Considering St. Martins is a 45 minute drive from Saint John (33 miles) - It may not be worth the expense to cab it out and back for such a short time period.

Thank you for the information-maybe we will go next time!

My daughter and I will be on the same cruise. It will be our 1st Carnival cruise, but not our 1st cruise.

Looking forward to seeing St. John and getting away for a few days.

OK back on topic....What are the prices like for bottles of ice wine? I know when we were in Australia last summer is was cheaper to buy it there than in the states, but much harder to get home.

The following ice wines are available in Saint John:

Jost Muscat Icewine $51.61

Kittling Ridge Icewine and Brandy $19.99

Domaine Pinnacle Ice Cider $29.99

Ehrenfelser Icewine $38.64

Inniskillen Icewine $9.99

Inniskillen Vidal Icewine $59.99

Pelee Island Cabernet Franc Icewine $53.41

Trius Vidal Icewine $25.76

The closest liquor store to the ship is "alcool -nb - liquor" located at Prince Edward Square, which is a 5 minute walk from the Old City Market.

Thank you for all the wonderful information. We are sailing June 14th. Quick question, would we be better off exchanging some money here before we leave for taxi-buses etc or just use american money? we are so excited about this trip. A new adventure up this way. We are use to the Carribbean.

Again, thank you for all the information. Dot

Thank you for all the wonderful information. We are sailing June 14th. Quick question, would we be better off exchanging some money here before we leave for taxi-buses etc or just use american money? we are so excited about this trip. A new adventure up this way. We are use to the Carribbean.

Again, thank you for all the information. Dot

Taxis will take Visa and the buses took $USD in the past. If it's not inconvenient, I would get some Canadian cash prior to coming. Alternatively you could purchase something in port with your $USD and use the Canadian change you receive for the bus or other small purchases.

Acey, first of all thank you very much for all the helpful informations, I was already reading in this thread!

We will visit Saint John in October with the Jewel of the Seas and I am already planning the visit.

We will be in town from 7 am to 5.30pm. I was thinking about doing first a walk through the city in the morning and then at 3.30 pm having this great afternoon tea you mentioned (I have emailed them already). That means we will have five, six hours in between. I really hope we can see some great countryside and the colour changes of the trees.

Therefore my question is where to go best? I was thinking about the Rockwood park. But it would be also nice to rent a car and drive around. I would love to do a scenic drive along the coast. Do you have any suggestions what would be a nice drive for five hours? Where can you see the most spectacular coastline?

Would you also recommend to visit the Irving Nature Park as well? Do both parks offer any horse drawn rides or any other ways to visit without walking to much?

Thanks a lot in advance.:)

Acey, first of all thank you very much for all the helpful informations, I was already reading in this thread!

We will visit Saint John in October with the Jewel of the Seas and I am already planning the visit.

We will be in town from 7 am to 5.30pm. I was thinking about doing first a walk through the city in the morning and then at 3.30 pm having this great afternoon tea you mentioned (I have emailed them already). That means we will have five, six hours in between. I really hope we can see some great countryside and the colour changes of the trees.

Therefore my question is where to go best? I was thinking about the Rockwood park. But it would be also nice to rent a car and drive around. I would love to do a scenic drive along the coast. Do you have any suggestions what would be a nice drive for five hours? Where can you see the most spectacular coastline?

Would you also recommend to visit the Irving Nature Park as well? Do both parks offer any horse drawn rides or any other ways to visit without walking to much?

Thanks a lot in advance.:)

My favourite scenic drive to see wonderful colours is Saint John to Gagetown along the "River Valley Scenic Drive". I mapped it out for you on mapquest and can be looked at by clicking link at end of post. It's nice rolling hills along the St. John River to Gagetown - a historic Loyalist community that served as a stop for river boats during the 1800's and early 1900's. It's the birthplace of Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, a father of Canadian federation. There is nothing exciting there, it's just a nice quiet drive with very little traffic. For a shorter drive, you could take a ferry from the Millidgeville neighborhood of Saint John and drive around the Kingston Peninsula. Or you can be creative and do the River Valley Scenic Drive, yet on the way back take a ferry to the other side of the river and come back to Saint John via the rolling countryside of King's county. I suggest contacting the New Brunswick tourism dept. for an official map that help you plan the day. You can contact them here:

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/en-ca/hnaboutnewbrunswick/hncontactus.htm

5 to 6 hours is plenty of time to do these drives.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&long=%2d66137012&2n=Queens&height=567&1y=CA&r=f&1z=E2L&mo=ma&1si=ca&2s=NB&2c=Gagetown&dtype=s&1rc=B2AAA&2si=gaz%5fca&1da=%2d1%2e000000&2da=%2d1%2e000000&2rc=A5XAX&cl=EN&width=1003&2v=CITY&lat=45504093&did=1204721380&1gi=YJtN9pQ9RkOD%2bGMVgaSm0Q%3d%3d&qq=1ADqpk24ofBxVbN%252bfgEZksJsTe6IHM4wrIEE7LXO5a2AUKlA0Syfb9Dv2IW6JtGgyGGPjJyGH5rozbqhE1OzEqGggv6U06LHfZ3y1kOnYX8y%252fNKF1yAW0hsicsOgcrQO3MabtJTvQaw%253d&2gi=YJtN9pQ9RkOD%2bGMVgaSm0Q%3d%3d&1a=Water%20Street&2y=CA&un=m&1s=NB&1c=Saint%20John&zoom=5&go=1&rsres=1&1v=STREET&ct=NA&1l=G8/G3wYAnGBEqGMP3qDgSw==&1g=32TyGCMjk7Q8oPB+qDszgQ==&2l=s/ZDdLr/iGJZLH0+Kgxs4g==&2g=WswPYAEw9iuPTmGYlhe2Wg==

My favourite scenic drive to see wonderful colours is Saint John to Gagetown along the "River Valley Scenic Drive". I mapped it out for you on mapquest and can be looked at by clicking link at end of post. It's nice rolling hills along the St. John River to Gagetown - a historic Loyalist community that served as a stop for river boats during the 1800's and early 1900's. It's the birthplace of Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, a father of Canadian federation. There is nothing exciting there, it's just a nice quiet drive with very little traffic. For a shorter drive, you could take a ferry from the Millidgeville neighborhood of Saint John and drive around the Kingston Peninsula. Or you can be creative and do the River Valley Scenic Drive, yet on the way back take a ferry to the other side of the river and come back to Saint John via the rolling countryside of King's county. I suggest contacting the New Brunswick tourism dept. for an official map that help you plan the day. You can contact them here:

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/en-ca/hnaboutnewbrunswick/hncontactus.htm

5 to 6 hours is plenty of time to do these drives.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&long=%2d66137012&2n=Queens&height=567&1y=CA&r=f&1z=E2L&mo=ma&1si=ca&2s=NB&2c=Gagetown&dtype=s&1rc=B2AAA&2si=gaz%5fca&1da=%2d1%2e000000&2da=%2d1%2e000000&2rc=A5XAX&cl=EN&width=1003&2v=CITY&lat=45504093&did=1204721380&1gi=YJtN9pQ9RkOD%2bGMVgaSm0Q%3d%3d&qq=1ADqpk24ofBxVbN%252bfgEZksJsTe6IHM4wrIEE7LXO5a2AUKlA0Syfb9Dv2IW6JtGgyGGPjJyGH5rozbqhE1OzEqGggv6U06LHfZ3y1kOnYX8y%252fNKF1yAW0hsicsOgcrQO3MabtJTvQaw%253d&2gi=YJtN9pQ9RkOD%2bGMVgaSm0Q%3d%3d&1a=Water%20Street&2y=CA&un=m&1s=NB&1c=Saint%20John&zoom=5&go=1&rsres=1&1v=STREET&ct=NA&1l=G8/G3wYAnGBEqGMP3qDgSw==&1g=32TyGCMjk7Q8oPB+qDszgQ==&2l=s/ZDdLr/iGJZLH0+Kgxs4g==&2g=WswPYAEw9iuPTmGYlhe2Wg==

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer and your help!

Would you also recommend to visit the Rockwood and/or the Irving Nature park? If yes, which one would you prefer? Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
How about some ideas for a 76 year old, two 50 somethings, a 20 and 21 year old in your area?

- Horse drawn trolley tour of historic area - terminating at Saint John City Market.

- for the 20 and 21 I would say the Jet Boat Ride through the Reversing Falls.

Any specific interests?

Our interests? Some history. We have carriages in our town so that doesn't thrill us but thanks anyhow.

The 20 and 21 year old? Well something that doesn't cost much. (if there is such a thing). My daughter's boyfriend is paying for the cruise himself and is a college student so the cash flow isn't great.

Our interests? Some history. We have carriages in our town so that doesn't thrill us but thanks anyhow.

The 20 and 21 year old? Well something that doesn't cost much. (if there is such a thing). My daughter's boyfriend is paying for the cruise himself and is a college student so the cash flow isn't great.

If you like history you may enjoy just strolling around where the ship docks, including the Old Saint John City Market, King's Square and the Loyalist Burial Ground.

As for your daughter and BF, if they are interested in jet boat ride it's a bit pricey at $37.61 tax included per person. A free alternative is to walk Harbour Passage to the Reversing Falls (40 min.).

I posted a FAQ Saint JOhn version 2 - at the end of it it makes suggestions on what you can do in the city.

Archived