FAQs about Saint John, New Brunswick

What will the weather be like during early July in this area?

I am wondering if we will be able to use the ship pools or if it will be too cold?

thanks

July you can expect a high of 70 - 75 and a low of 65 - unless the fog rolls in and it could drop to 60. Fog may not last long though.

Acey & Sapper1

You both deserve a long standing "O" for the wonderfully detailed and extremely helpful description of your home area. We'll be up there on 10/08 on HAL's new Eurodam. Can't wait!

I am wondering if we will be able to use the ship pools or if it will be too cold?
There will be a ship's channel on the TV in your cabin that tells you the pool temperature. Last year when we sailed Victory in August, the pool temperature was 64 degrees even though the air temperature was much warmer.

Acey & Sapper1

You both deserve a long standing "O" for the wonderfully detailed and extremely helpful description of your home area. We'll be up there on 10/08 on HAL's new Eurodam. Can't wait!

The Eurodam will be making her first visit to Saint John on September 4th and I plan to be parked on the hill overlooking the harbour to see her arrive.

I hope you enjoy your visit to SJ and that the weather co-operates.

I was just skimming through all this wonderful information to see what's available to do at this port when I got to the last post about the Eurodam's first visit on September 4. I was about to write a correction, that she will be there on Sunday, August 24, during her first trans-Atlantic; but I checked the itinerary and we will be in St. John's NEWFOUNDLAND!!!

Wow, here I am getting excited about this port that we're not even going to!

Perhaps this post will prevent others from making the same mistake!

I was just skimming through all this wonderful information to see what's available to do at this port when I got to the last post about the Eurodam's first visit on September 4. I was about to write a correction, that she will be there on Sunday, August 24, during her first trans-Atlantic; but I checked the itinerary and we will be in St. John's NEWFOUNDLAND!!!

Wow, here I am getting excited about this port that we're not even going to!

Perhaps this post will prevent others from making the same mistake!

You would not be the first to have made that mistake. It is very common. That is why Saint John, New Brunswick is never abbreviated. It helps to distinguish it from St. John's Newfoundland. I once booked a flight from Saint John to Edmonton and when my ticket arrived (remember the days of paper tickets?) I luckily noticed that it had been made out as St. John's to Edmonton. It would have been one trip that never got off the ground!!!

I hope you will get to visit Saint John one day, but you will find the most remarkable scenery in the St. John's area and you will not find a friendlier and more welcoming group of people than the people of Newfoundland.

I will be traveling in July with my husband and 3 kids all under 8 y.o. Will the Harbour Passage Walking trail be too much at least in 1 direction? Are there places to exit and cab it the rest of the way? We would love to see the falls.

The other thing that sounds fun for the early AM is the Aquatic Center. I checked the webside as suggested and called. They said they would only be open on the day of our visit til 11am? Is it close enough to get to from the ship to enjoy then do something else?

Thanx for all this great info!

I will be traveling in July with my husband and 3 kids all under 8 y.o. Will the Harbour Passage Walking trail be too much at least in 1 direction? Are there places to exit and cab it the rest of the way? We would love to see the falls.

The other thing that sounds fun for the early AM is the Aquatic Center. I checked the webside as suggested and called. They said they would only be open on the day of our visit til 11am? Is it close enough to get to from the ship to enjoy then do something else?

Thanx for all this great info!

The Aquatic Centre would be an easy walk from where you will dock. There will be volunteers on the dock who will point you in the right direction.

Harbour Passage not difficult to walk--not hilly at all. It is also quite close to where the ships dock. There are a few exit points but you would need a cell phone to summon a taxi as the entry and exit points are onto a busy street and not commonly places where taxis would lurk. A child of about six would probably have no problem walking all the way to the falls but it would be quite a hike for one younger than that. There is one short hill after you leave the passage at the blue roofed observation deck, cross the street and walk up to Douglas Avenue.

Last year there was a water taxi operating from the dock beside the Hilton Hotel and it took people over to the falls area. I assume that it will be operating again this year. I would love to be able to make a phone call to check on that for you but I am currently in Fort Lauderdale to join a cruise. Maybe Acey will see this and know whether it will be operating this year.

We will be in St. John in mid August. Does anyone know what kind of temperatures we can expect?

Most likely 68-72 or even a bit more, however if the fog rolls in it can drop quickly to 58-60 - when the fog lifts it will quickly warm up again. I live a few blocks from the port and it can be very foggy and cold - and my friend will call who lives 2 miles away and say what a beautiful sunny day it is and they are out relaxing by the pool - in this city because of the topography weather is not always the same neighborhood to neighborhood.

Just started browsing the boards again for our October cruise - New England and Canada.

Printed out your MANY tips/facts....thanks - it will be very helpful for our 1 day in Saint John/Bay of Fundy!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, ever since 7th grade (mid 1970's) I've wanted to experience the Bay of Fundy's beauty. And my family is cruising your way Saturday June 21.

My dream is to walk the beach/ocean floor at low tide and explore it's treasures in a picturesque area. But I really don't want to do the bus tour, get-on, get-off when told. So, I guess I'm looking at a car rental??

Then, it seems as though it may be an all day affair just getting to an area I dream of....how far away are these spots from where we dock?

And I'd like to explore the Market.......am I asking too much for one short day?

Okay, ever since 7th grade (mid 1970's) I've wanted to experience the Bay of Fundy's beauty. And my family is cruising your way Saturday June 21.

My dream is to walk the beach/ocean floor at low tide and explore it's treasures in a picturesque area. But I really don't want to do the bus tour, get-on, get-off when told. So, I guess I'm looking at a car rental??

Then, it seems as though it may be an all day affair just getting to an area I dream of....how far away are these spots from where we dock?

And I'd like to explore the Market.......am I asking too much for one short day?

St. Martin's is about 50 min. from the port. Avis car rental is very handy. There is plenty of time to do that and the market in the day. Timing will be key - you need to go when the tide is out which may mean market in morning and St. Martins in afternoon or vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

Acey and Sapper,

Thank you both so much for the information you have provided regarding your city. It sounds like there is plenty to do right around the port and you don't have to book a tour. We're cruising on the Caribbean Princess on August 24 and will be in St. John August 27.

Claudia

Archived