Hand sanitizers

FoxyTerrier

One thing new I noticed this trip were the automatic hand sanitizer dispensers.

They had them just off the ship when returning from shore and also just before the Lido buffet lines.

Kudos HAL for keeping us healthy on our trip.

BTW, there was an our break of the Norwalk virus at the Univ. of Maryland this week where high school students were staying for a conference - they could have used the handy dispensers that HAL had.

These were new to us July 2004 - our previous cruise was April 2003. How long have they been using them?

Are other lines also using them?

There have been hand sanitizers on HAL ships at least as far back as our March 2003 Hawaii cruise aboard the Statendam.

We always carry small individual packets of hand wipes which we use when we reach our table in the dining room or Lido or anywhere else we plan to eat. That way we don't have to worry about touching the handrails as we go along. Seems to work for us.

I keep a package of them in my purse at all times when I travel. And I encourage my clients to travel with a can of Lysol Spray. I ask them to spray their cabin all over, especially the air vents and door handles. Then I tell them to leave the cabin for an hour and come back to a fresh and disinfected living space.

I also suggest that they spray the air vents every day.

I've been known to spray the air vents on airplanes, too. The flight attendants love the idea.

HAL has had the wipes for a while now, but the automatic machines that you put your hands under and they act by sensor was new to us on the Zaandam in April. I love the idea but wish more pax would use them. I saw many coming back onboard from shore and walking right by them.....jean :cool:

I've been known to spray the air vents on airplanes, too. The flight attendants love the idea.

I thought that large aerosol cans are not permitted to be brought ontio airplanes in our carryons. I never saw a small can of lysol.....is there such a thing?

I agree it is fabulous that HAL has put the hand sanitizer dispensers at the gangways and all around the ship. I would think is just as fabulous IF EVERYONE.....EVERY PAX...... actually USED it. It makes me so angry to see so many "jerks" simply cruise on by them. I want to yell at them go back and clean your dirty hands.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph ... mom ... I washed my hands 20 seconds ago before leaving the mens room right over there and stepping into this line.

:D ;)

The muffled "thwack" you just heard was the sound of Reverend Neal's mother slapping him upside the head.

I encourage my clients to travel with a can of Lysol Spray. I ask them to spray their cabin all over, especially the air vents and door handles.

I also suggest that they spray the air vents every day.

I've been known to spray the air vents on airplanes, too.

Do you spray taxi door handles, building entrances, restaurant tables & silverware, strangers who want to shake your hand? You're really Adrian Monk in disguise, aren't you? :)

:)

We saw those hand sanitizers for the first time on the Maasdam this past May. We used them.

Wish more people would get into the habit of using them.

The one thing that bothers me is the lack of hot water in the ladies public restrooms on board the ships. I made note of this on the cruise questionaire on both our Oosterdam and Maasdam cruises.

:)

1) You're not their mom

2) You've no idea if their hands are clean or dirty

What I DO KNOW is that gastro-intestinal viruses are brought aboard the ships and they spread like crazy. I know that most folks use the handrail of the gangway as they reboard the ship. I know that handrail can be dirty. I know most folks have touched this, that and whatever while ashore. I know all hands have germs.

I know that those folks who did not bother to stop and use the sanitizer could possibly be jeopardizing my good health and yours while aboard the ship.

You are correct and I agree with you. But many of us also touch handrails, door handles, slot machines, elevator buttons, treadmills in the spa, bar rails in the lounges.....the list goes on.

I was also glad to see them in the library and computer room (wipes) and was glad to use them. There are so many "bugs" going around and antibiotics do not help in a lot of the cases. Nothing would spoil my cruise more than catching something while on board.........jean :cool:

On our last cruise--on a Princess ship that was so impressive I cannot remember its name--I studiously avoided touching the stair railings. You really can become 'Monk-ish' about it if you think about it enough. Who pushes the elevator buttons? Who opens the doors? What if you put your hands on chair handles someone else has touched? It boggles the mind.

Viruses like the Norwalk virus are common, but in the relatively closed environment of a cruise ship they can spread quickly. Good sanitation is the best way to avoid becoming infected. Frequent hand washing is an important part of good sanitation.

By all means use the hand sanitizers upon reboarding the ship. They contain an effictive virucide (on some lines, such as Crystal, you don't get by the security officers until you sanitize your hands). And, take the time to wash your hands thoroughly before meals and after using the restroom.

As someone else mentioned the tap water in the public restrooms on the ship initially is not very hot. However, if you let it run for a minute or two, you should get hot water.

You can get very "Monkish" about sanitizing your hands, but if you do it, it does work - and don't put your hands in your mouth (lick your fingers) or rub your eyes - use your knuckle.

We have been on a couple of cruises recently where there was either a break-out mid cruise, or we were on a Health Altert (no self-service) right from day one and because we took precautions none of us were sick.

I always use my knuckle to put the elevator buttons - even do it at home now when I go into a building with an elevator. Also I carry Purrell in my hand bag and use it often.

Things I automatically do while on a ship (and often when ashore) whether there has been an outbreak of a virus or not:

I push elevator buttons with a tissue (or knuckle) or anything handy other than my fingertip.

I take an extra spoon and fork when I go through the Lido or Taco Buffet and use those as serving pieces. I do not touch the ones used by everyone who came before me.

I wash my hands frequently and always after using the rest room.

I open the door to the lady's room (after I have washed my hands) either with a tissue or a hand towel if the disposal bin is close enough I can deposit it after I have opened the door.

I shut off the water faucet with a hand cloth....not my clean hands.

I try hard to not use handrails and if I have used one, I go to the nearest rest room to wash.

I use the hand sanitizers HAL has placed around the ships.

I wipe off computer keyboard if I go to the Internet Cafe.

I use a paper napkin to lift a salt/pepper shaker at Lido.

I rarely use salt/pepper so that is not a problem.

I try very hard to touch as little as possible if we are in a dining area.

There are other precautions I take as a matter of habit, but so far DH and I have been very fortunate and neither of us has ever been ill with a GI virus while on a ship,

I could not agree with you more Diving girl..(and many others on this thread) It is a different world now....germs are every where!! As a Corporate Chef for a large nursing home company, we teach the importance of hand washing AND use of hand sanitizers.....Study done by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta found that hand washing did help...but that the bacteria left on hands (after washing) more than doubled in a very short amount of time. By using the hand sanitizer the bacteria took almost 4 times as long to multiply compared to simply washing hands.....If more people were educated on this topic less people would be ill with a preventable virus. And it ain't pretty to be ill with a virus of this kind!! I have noticed in my area (Ohio) that even gas stations are carrying small bottles of hand sanitizers at the cash register.....about $1.39 a bottle......small price to pay to keep safe from the bad viruses.

Chef Nancy:)

Archived