"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

Yep! LOL

And you know... ports do come into play here... have you done the Margaritaville or bust trip? LOL 3 islands, 3 Margaritavilles.

No,never done that.........

Next trip will be 2 islands..........2 Margaritavilles.......

From my experience, Ft Lauderdale is another 3 hours south. That's pushing it for us. We get off the ship in Port Canaveral as early as possible - this year we were in the car and on the road by 8am. We have a 13 hour drive home, with work and school the next morning.

Plus, Ft Lauderdale doesn't work as well with Disney, it's such a nice SHORT trip for WDW to the port.

Erika -- I think that you really summed up well what some of the booking considerations are for folks in the south (outside of Florida). 3 hours added to the driving trip is a significant addition. Especially when you start with 13 to Va.; 9-10 for North Carolina; 7 for Atlanta; 4 1/2 for us near Hiltion Head; probably about 9-10 for Alabama etc. Mariner pulls from those areas according to RCCL folks that I have talked to. Anecdotally, we have mets lots of folks from the south on every Mariner cruise. We have had tablemates from Savannah, Atlanta and N.C. And from the perspective of a RCCL stockholder, I would rather that familes combine their WDW vacation with an RCCL cruise rather than Disney (LOL).

Verrrrrrrry interesting, and definately possible. But do you think the big shots will let Genesis homeport anywhere other than Miami?

Hi Cruiseman !

I would be totally shocked if Genesis homeports anywhere other than Miami. The best hope for PC, is one of the Freedom class ships or perhaps a Voyager Class ship, once Genesis makes her debut.

Either way, I think Royal Caribbean is making a HUGE mistake leaving PC without a larger ship for early 2009. Hopefully, another ship will be placed there as soon as possible.

I happen to be browsing the Princess board, thinking about 2009 b/c Mariner gone. Ft Laud isn't driving all the way to Miami. Any reason they can't give Navigator the 7 day route including CocoCay until PC gets a new ship. Its really the lack of any Voyager class ship doing 7 night sail from any FL port that has me looking at Princess.

Hi CP3o !

I would have to say that is very doubtful. RCI seems to be very hot on letting Navigator do the short sailings out of FLL. I suppose if the sailings do not do well, they might look at making changes. It will all come down to on how well they sell. Even though I dont agree with NAV doing the short sailings, they will probably sell quite well.... which means she probably wont be a replacement for Mariner. Sorry !

My TA says that one of the factors that RCCL has had to contend with is stiff competition from Disney Cruise Lines. Interesting as Disney is priced higher than RCCL.

Hi Sherri !

I am sure they had competition from Disney, yet... Mariner will have even bigger competition from Carnival, who announced today, that they will be putting Splendor in LA in March 2009.

I wonder if RCI expected Carnival's move. And might it make them reconsider ? I highly doubt it, but it is an interesting thought.

Hi Sherri !

I am sure they had competition from Disney, yet... Mariner will have even bigger competition from Carnival, who announced today, that they will be putting Splendor in LA in March 2009.

I wonder if RCI expected Carnival's move. And might it make them reconsider ? I highly doubt it, but it is an interesting thought.

Very interesting. Checked Carnival's website -- Splendor is around 113,00 tons -- smaller than Mariner but a new ship -- coming out in June, 2008.

I just finished 2 days of meetings with RCI and they will not be replacing the Mariner with another ship. Unfortunately the profit margin was too low due to them having to deeply discount those cruises just to fill the ship. Once Gensis launches, one of the Freedom ships will repo to Ft. Lauderdale and one to San Juan.

I just finished 2 days of meetings with RCI and they will not be replacing the Mariner with another ship. Unfortunately the profit margin was too low due to them having to deeply discount those cruises just to fill the ship. Once Gensis launches, one of the Freedom ships will repo to Ft. Lauderdale and one to San Juan.

And where will Adventure and/or Serenade go, pray tell, or have they not gotten that far in the domino game?

All I have to say is if this happens they don't replace it ...guess I will be looking at carnival...because I just like the port and close to orlando...so RCCI will lose my business...

Well how about something in writing? Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Canaveral

Future plans

The Canaveral Port Authority announced in 2006 several plans for the future

I don't know.

I find it hard to believe that the profit margin was too low.

We will find out sooner rather than later.

He's a TA. There's only so much one can say about that subject without getting scolded or banned.

I was wondering if that was the case............but a post about what his TA does for him got me confused.....:confused:

Archived