WHich is better for wheelchair user - Royal, Celebrity, or Princess - Hawaii 2008

Eytbol8

Happy Monday All,

We are thinking of booking a 2008 Hawaii cruise out of LA/Long Beach/San Diego are. My husband is disabled, confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to know if anyone has been on that trip on Royal, Princess, or Celebrity and might have some feedback on which might be more wheelchair accessible? I noticed that Royal has more wheelchair accessible cabins in various cabin types, including a mini-suite. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Royal - Radiance of the Seas

Princess - Diamond

Celebrity - Mercury

Happy Monday All,

We are thinking of booking a 2008 Hawaii cruise out of LA/Long Beach/San Diego are. My husband is disabled, confined to a wheelchair. We wanted to know if anyone has been on that trip on Royal, Princess, or Celebrity and might have some feedback on which might be more wheelchair accessible? I noticed that Royal has more wheelchair accessible cabins in various cabin types, including a mini-suite. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Princess - Diamond

Celebrity - Mercury

I would call each of the cruise lines & ask the square footage of the accessible rooms you are interested in. We are used to Royal Caribbean & their rooms are 245 sq ft. We went on the Carnival Destiny last month & the room was only 185 sq ft. While we managed it was a big disappointment & very difficult to move around.

I see you don't have NCL listed, but my hubby and I did a cruise with them on Pride of America and it was wonderful. Hubby uses a power chair and the room was definately big enough (we had a balcony). If you would consider using them, let me know and I will fill you in on the specifics of the ship. Metawnny1@aol.com. Also, I can help you find excursions on the islands if you want. Have a great time.

I am in a powerchair and we did a circle Hawaii trip in 2006.

We were on Royal Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas, 14 night out of LA. Fantastic time, excellent ship!! The ship is extremely accessible, even the cabin door swings open when key is inserted, In 2008 the ship is doing 2 circle Hawaii cruises out of San Diego with many people from 2006 repeating. If interested we are the Happy CocoNuts. We are on the one in Sep 2008, 15 nights.

Sherry

We agree with the post above - Radiance class ships(we have been on Jewel, Brilliance and are going RT Hawaii on Serenade in October) are the most accessible ships we have been on. Mercury is one of Xs older ships and has only a few accessible cabins and as I recall, none with balconies. Never been on Diamond Princess, but Princess in general seems to have a reputation for having the least helpful Special Needs dept of those you mention. Suggest you go back in to some of the earlier posts in this board and you will find some critical words about Princess. If you want to find out the size and number of accessible cabins go to http://cruiseclues.com/photoclubs.htm Find the name of the ship in the left hand colum and click on it then go down the center of the page until you find cabin details and deck plans. For most ships you will find a listing of all cabin dimensions, what catergory, how many and what decks they are on. Another feature of Radiance class ships that we love are the acres of glass - they are ships that never let you forget you are at sea as opposed to the huge new ships which seem to turn you inward to a shopping mall experience:)

If you go to the Celebrity line -- try the Millennium class ships (Constellation, Infinity, Millennium, Summit). They have 3 aft cabins with balcony that are wheelchair assessable and perfect for you.

Don't you have to embark or disembark in Ensenada for RCL?

We have done the circle Hawaii on both Princess and HAL twice. Had nice cabins, and a great time both trips. Some cruise lines have stopped going to Kauai (not sure why, it is my favorite island), and I like the fact that HAL takes you right by the Napali Coast there during daylight (the only one I know that does that). It does shorten your day in port there, though.

Princess does not have a special needs dept, and you do have to be more insistent about getting your needs met with them, but if you know how to deal with them you get decent service (no worse than HAL certainly). The tender lift on HAL is an advantage for tender ports (Kona and Lahaina) for us as my mother cannot stand or walk at all.

Splinter The RCI RTHawaii cruise is from and to San Diego - nothing but a one hour stop at Ensenada on the return - just like HAL cruises to Hawaii have been for years (we have done it on both Statendam and Amsterdam). The reason some lines no longer stop at Kauai (sp) is the limited docking facilities, and the special dominance provided by the state to the ships of Norwegian Hawaii - the 3 will reduce to 2 with reflagging and moving one off the run next spring. So maybe other cruise lines will return, I hope. Like you, we love that island. The RCL cruise this year is on Serenade OTS and departs here on October 5.:)

We had some major issues :( with Princess when we sailed with them with my husband in a wc and wouldn't recommend them for a wheelchair passenger. Our troubles ranged from the waiter ignoring my husband (a non drinker) to staff suggesting he get up and climb stairs (to get off a tender they had rolled him onto) to the lack of a good line of sight in the theatre (he used the tele lens of his camera to be able to see a cooking demo cos the handicapped seating is the nosebleed row in the rear).

We have sailed with Celebrity and really have nothing but fond memories to report. When we used the transport WC we didn't bother with an accessible cabin but now that he's "graduated" to a power chair (oh Bliss!!! more freedom for him and less work for me) it's a must. In fact, we have that lovely aft cabin someone else mentioned on both of our next cruises.

I can report that there is a WC specific shore excursion on the 21 Dec. 07 sailing offered by Celebrity which we have already booked:)

My husband is always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy on Celebrity and they see him rather than his chair.

Glad you had good experiences. Our last cruise was Celebrity, and there were many problems that we have NOT experienced on either HAL or Princess. We only took it because we got a good price on-line. Celebrity also has very limited routes, often not those that really interest us. We know the lines of sight on the Princess ships in the showrooms are poor, so we rarely attend the shows.

We also need an accessible cabin that sleeps 3, which are rarer than hen's teeth, so we have to take what we can get often, regardless of the cruise line.

We had some major issues :( with Princess when we sailed with them with my husband in a wc and wouldn't recommend them for a wheelchair passenger. Our troubles ranged from the waiter ignoring my husband (a non drinker) to staff suggesting he get up and climb stairs (to get off a tender they had rolled him onto) to the lack of a good line of sight in the theatre (he used the tele lens of his camera to be able to see a cooking demo cos the handicapped seating is the nosebleed row in the rear).

We have sailed with Celebrity and really have nothing but fond memories to report. When we used the transport WC we didn't bother with an accessible cabin but now that he's "graduated" to a power chair (oh Bliss!!! more freedom for him and less work for me) it's a must. In fact, we have that lovely aft cabin someone else mentioned on both of our next cruises.

I can report that there is a WC specific shore excursion on the 21 Dec. 07 sailing offered by Celebrity which we have already booked:)

My husband is always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy on Celebrity and they see him rather than his chair.

Hi LuLaLuvlee, sorry you felt you had some major issues with Princess. Maybe we've just been lucky but in all of our past sailings with Princess I have never had one concern. In fact, on past two, at the muster drill I have been assigned a crew member in case of an emergency. We were on the Diamond the last two times and personally I found it very accessible. IMHO. As far as accessible areas in the theaters, all are at the very back and top of the lower floors of the theaters no matter what ship, or at least that's what I have always found. Just have to be your own advocate and make sure people don't stand in your way. I've learned to be blunt but sweet at the same time.

Concerning the tender, I have had them ask the same thing, but alot of times it will be due to safety if there is rough water and perhaps the crew members that helped lift him on the tender were not the same crew members there to help him off. Just an idea. I guess its all in how you want to look at everything.

Like I said, guess I've just been extremely lucky from Princess, RCCL and Celebrity, all of the staff seem to make sure everything is "perfect" and seem to go out of their way to help in any way. Some of our fellow passengers are entirely a different story.

Happy Monday All,

Princess - Diamond

Celebrity - Mercury

Eytbol8,

I'm sure which ever ship/cruiseline you choose, you will have a great trip. We have sailed Jewel OTS (sister to Radiance) great ship for accessible, I can highly recommend the E1 category, 7110 or 610 accessible stateroom - WOW and a great balcony. Also, the 4 radiance class ships have the hydraulic/auto doors. On the Diamond, any of the midship ac staterooms are great - I like the BA's on caribe 300-304 'cause the balconies are larger but they're all great. Mercury has no balcony ac rooms so to me that's a total :mad: but thats MHO. Have a great trip no matter which you choose.

Just a hint for those of you who have found, as have we, that the reserved hc seats in the showroom theater are in the last row or 2 rows, we have learned as follows on HAL, RCI, and Princess that if you talk to the Guest Relations Manager, pointing out that the hc person may also have hearing or visual problems, there are alternatives. On at least 10 different ships, they have taken us to where you can enter at the level of the first row of seats - the entrances are not usually in plain view - and by going early to the show room, we have had seats in the first or second row. Just fold up the wheel chair or park the scooter in front of where you are sitting. We do this during the daytime when the GRM is available to show us, and then do it on our own at showtime.:)

Just a hint for those of you who have found, as have we, that the reserved hc seats in the showroom theater are in the last row or 2 rows, we have learned as follows on HAL, RCI, and Princess that if you talk to the Guest Relations Manager, pointing out that the hc person may also have hearing or visual problems, there are alternatives. On at least 10 different ships, they have taken us to where you can enter at the level of the first row of seats - the entrances are not usually in plain view - and by going early to the show room, we have had seats in the first or second row. Just fold up the wheel chair or park the scooter in front of where you are sitting. We do this during the daytime when the GRM is available to show us, and then do it on our own at showtime.:)

Hi Leoandhugh,

This is great to know. We've always had to sit in peanut heaven with our scooter. We'll be on Explorer (RCI) and I'll try talking to guest relations about better seats. Seems like you would avoid the crowds at the rear of the theatre also. Have you ever done this on Celebrity?

Eytbol8,

We have been to Hawaii on Celebrity Infinity. Our cabin was a great handicapped aft with balcony. You would have plenty of room in this cabin. The whole ship is accessible. We sailed out of San Diego.

Any of the Millenium class Celebrity ships are fine for the handicapped.

Judy, we have been on both Infinity and Summit and I frankly do not remember what we were able to do on those ships, but here is the reality of all those new ships. There have to be exits other than the usual steps out to the lobby in case of need to evacuate in case of fire or other emergencies. That is why there are entrances down on the level of the front row, and they are often used by cast members in vegas type shows when having to make entrances from the sides. I am sure on any new ship, if you talk to the Guest Relations Mgr(not the ones behind the desk; their boss) he/she will show you what to do.:)

Thanks Leo or Hugh?

Which one of you is the communicator?:)

We'll definitely talk to the guest relations manager about first floor entrances for seating. It's great that they show you the way so that you can get there youselves.

Judy, I (Hugh) am the communicator. In addition to having his leg amputated 13 years ago, Leo suffered a subsequent heart attack and stroke. With the use of only his left hand, he is reduced to "hunt and peck" which he does quite well, considering he is naturally right handed. But he reads what I write, and offers the inevitable critical remarks as well as the helpful ones. His memory is one I know I can always rely on when mine fails:D

Hi Leo, the memory and Hugh, the communicator!

Thanks for all your help on these boards. I've learned alot from your travels. What itinerary and cruiseline are your favorites?

We really enjoy Celebrity and usually book with them. Our Explorer of the Seas cruise is out of Port Liberty and we don't have to fly. We're finally diamond and can take advantage of the concierge lounge. We're also booked on the Quest to the Eastern Med. which was previously a Renaissance ship. Have you ever sailed on this type of ship with only 750 passengers?

Judy, Favorite Cruise Line RCI, particularly Radiance class which are the most accessible of all ships we have sailed. And we prefer the imaginative itineraries of RCI. Preferences Trans Atlantic back2back with either preceding or following cruise - depending on which direction East or West. We try for back2back, traveling with all that equipment, short cruises don't do it for us. 2nd choice - "X" Millenium class but really prefer the more relaxed ambience of RCI. We usually shun formal nights and eat in the Lido or the cabin. Never do Caribbean cruises any more - too much been there, done that and the thought of 5 or 6 ships tendering at Grand Cayman or docked at St Martin disgorging all those pax is not our idea of a fun trip.

We will not even consider those ex-Rennaisance ships with so few accessible cabins and none with balconies; even the narrow corridors are hell in a wheelchair. Neither will we travel on Costa- the Italian pursers and staff have no feel for handicapped pax.

Noticing your Wilkes-Barre address - for several years we had a weekend house and acreage on the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap near Blairstown. One of our favorite shopping trips was to Percy Brown's either in your city or Allentown to stock up on gourmet food. And there was a brewery there - long gone now - where we used to buy it by the case of returnable bottles. Sorry, the name has gone, and even "the memory" has failed me on that one. Also remember checking out the high water marks from the floods downtown. It has been at least 40years! Hugh:) and Leo:)

Hi guys,

Our first cruise, before my husband's stroke was on Radiance OTS to Alaska 7 nights in August of 2001. We were hooked on cruising and loved the ship! I watched it being constructed in Germany on the internet that winter. Seven nights were not enough. The stroke happened in November and we didn't think we could go again. Thanks to this board, we got the courage to try. Went to the Southern Carribean on Summit. Then to South America on HAL's Amsterdam (that was the best cruise ever)! I pushed Dave in a transport chair and we saw alot (Santiago, Cape Horn, Buenos Aires, Rio and especially penguin excursion-all amazing). Got a scooter and went to Hawaii out of San Diego(your hometown I see). San Diego was spectacular! Loved the waterfront and stayed in Holiday Inn. The ship docked almost in our room! Last summer was Baltic and TA on Constellation-29 nights back to back. It was a long time on the ship, but a great adventure! We really did have a rocky crossing-even the crew was sick, but not me because I take bonine. I think I love any cruise I'm on. It's super to travel and be taken care of.

We just see as much as we can before we get tired and try to pick excursions on buses. They always put the chair or scooter underneath. Everyone on the cruises has been so helpful. I don't think we've ever had a major problem with people.

As for WilkesBarre, I'm a transplant here from Pittsburgh. Have lived here for about 30 years. I've seen pictures of Percy Brown's. I'd have to ask my "memory-Dave" where it was located in WB. Was the brewery you remember called Stegmeier's? I think it still produces beer, but again I have to check. Delaware Water Gap is magnificent! We will travel through again in October for our next cruise.

Good to talk to you. Keep those tips coming. They really help!:D

Judy, You are correct - Stegmeirs and Percy Browns was down near the river so maybe after a couple of those floods through there, they may have pulled out.

Comments on cruising - We did Santiago/Buenos Aires on Norwegian Crown several years back before scooter days but with wheelchair. You were a brave one with a transport chair; those small rear wheels are a killer I found. But now you have found scooters and accessible ships. I urge you to thoroughly research the accessibility of Quest; stuff I read on the boards about Rennaisance was not encouraging. We did Istanbul/ Barcelona last year prior to our TA to Miami. A couple of stops like Santorini and MYkonos were not friendly - Santorini was a stay on board stop but we knew that ahead of time. The only ways up to the top are donkey or cable car and there are 15-20 big concrete steps to get to the cable car.

We did Amsterdam last year RT San Diego to Hawaii and Tahiti and French Polynesia - 30 days We had an accessible balcony - the last one aft on Verandah Deck. We are going to Hawaii again in October on Serenade OTS - sister to Radiance, Brilliance and Jewel - all of which we have been on. We have a JS 1028 same as we had on Brilliance last year huge balcony and walkin closet. We love those Radiance class ships. In December we are booked on Voyager from Barcelona to Galveston, again in a JS and since we are Diamond we put the Concierge lounge to good use.

If you would like to pick my brain on any of the E Med stops you will have, send me your email address to leo2hugh@msn.com Hugh

PS just read something about a delay of a short period of time on the delivery of Quest after its conversion; guess they are not going to risk another fiasco!

Helloe Everyone-

What a great thread and awesome perspectives. It is helping us make our decisions for a Feb 2008 cruise. We are holding two reservations - one for the Adventure of the Seas and one for the Summit the week prior. My mom uses a scooter & wheelchair so accessibility is key. We tried the Caribbean Princess in February of this year and did not have a great experience. My partner and I have cruised on Celebrity (in fact, we are off on the Constellation next month to the Baltics).

In comparing the Adventure OTS to Summit, which is the more "accessible". We have on hold a JS and connector on Adventure and two aft (including the HC accessible cabin) on the Summit. We have sailed in the afts before and loved them - but mom wasn't there. How easy is it to navigate all the way back - especially with a scooter?

My gut is telling me that AOS may be a bit too big - not quite sure we want to negotiate around 3100 people on vacation (a downfall from the Caribbean Princess). Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

We did rt Los Angeles/Hawaii on Princess and had a wonderful time. We had no problems with scooter or wheelchair and were off at all ports. The crew and staff were wonderful to us, and the cabin on the Caribe Deck had a large BA balcony that was lovely.

Archived