How do you pronounce HAL

magictam

There's a debate going on in my family. Some think it is Howl and others think it's Hall.

I know it’s a silly question, but I wanted to check my ticker and see how much closer I’m getting.

About the silliest I've heard in some time:)

How can HAL possibly become 'howl'?- that's what mad dogs and wolves do! Bet you 'howl' when you hit your finger with a hammer! or your big toe on a piece of furniture! I speak from experience!

If I call HAL(as in pal!) I say I'm calling Holland America - in correspondence, I refer to HAL.:D

Uh-oh AlohaPride......I think you crossed the PC line.:D

I thought it was funny anyway...

It didn't occur to me that it might be non-pc! I hear it every day on my local radio station (KSSK) from our Gossip Columnist who lives in San Fran. I always thought it referred to the wine. But now that I think about it, I can see how it might be interpreted that way.

My bad!! :D

Ipronunce it "WOOPIE! Iam going on a cruise!":D

CruiseBumm can you change your ticker to read August 26th? Everytime I see it I almost take a heart attack thinking that our cruise leaves a day later than planned. :eek::)

It didn't occur to me that it might be non-pc! I hear it every day on my local radio station (KSSK) from our Gossip Columnist who lives in San Fran. I always thought it referred to the wine. But now that I think about it, I can see how it might be interpreted that way.

My bad!! :D

Not that bad.....just some of us here are very tightly wound.:D

About the silliest I've heard in some time:)

How can HAL possibly become 'howl'?- that's what mad dogs and wolves do! Bet you 'howl' when you hit your finger with a hammer! or your big toe on a piece of furniture! I speak from experience!

If I call HAL(as in pal!) I say I'm calling Holland America - in correspondence, I refer to HAL.:D

Wasn't Howell as in Thurston J., a pax on the the SS Minnow?

Well, technically the body of water is an estuary and not a bay. At least that is what we were told on a visit there.

You're right, Jim, it is an estuary. But this particular estuary is named "San Francisco Bay". ;)

Sorry, that's often repeated, but wrong. From wikipedia.org:

Oh, John, didn't we warn you in that other thread to not rely on Wikipedia? :rolleyes:

Kubrick and Clarke were so terrified of offending IBM that they cooked up this story after the fact to explain the acronym (and it was a very poor backformation/fake etymology - like POSH - at that). In fact, the original name of the computer was "Athena" until someone decided to play a joke on the International Business Machines Co.

Holland is a provence; The Nederlands are/is a country.

Rob,

Sorry, but since we're all having a bit of a game about names here, I'll quote you a bit. I always thought Provence was part of France. :D

BTW, the 2001 HAL computer thing is even funnier when your name is ...

Dave

Oh, John, didn't we warn you in that other thread to not rely on Wikipedia? :rolleyes:
That is exactly why I found the second source, which is Robots. I have heard the debunking story quoted by wikipedia several times in the past, but until now have never heard your story debunking the debunking. :rolleyes: What is your source?

Eight minutes later: in looking around some more I just found this story on http://www.cinematical.com:

"Actually IBM -1 -> HAL intentionally. Early in the film (on the shuttle flight to the partially constructed orbiting space station) all landing and docking proceedures are done by an IBM computer (freeze frame on chapter 4 or 5 and you will see clearly 3 CRTs with the IBM logo displayed. Many companies paid to get their logo into 2001, ibm, hilton, pan am, bell system, etc. But all specified NOT to use their logo in the evil part of the film, hence no lettering on the jupiter mission doomed spacecraft piloted by [iBM] -1 or HAL. To ensure that the contract was met with IBM, each letter was reduced by 1, however as has been pointed out the color scheme of hal's nameplate matches the IBMs of that era. Note, however, that there is no "pan universal" on the tail of the spacecraft - all other logos were removed, but IBMs sorta kinda stayed around morphed into HAL."

You're right, Jim, it is an estuary. But this particular estuary is named "San Francisco Bay". ;)

And so that makes it correct? Is it an estuary or is it a bay? Enquiring minds want to know.:confused:

Valerie:)

Good stuff Willie! Except...........The Dutch Wadden Islands and Amsterdam don't belong in that list, they are not Dutch provinces

Err....hmmmm! :rolleyes:the heading does say "Provinces and Cities":D

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhm....................granted for A'dam but the Wadden islands are neither! ;)

To get back to the topic ............. how do you pronounce Wadden? As in the former UCLA basketball coach's name? Or as in a very shallow pool? Or is the W really a V? Are the vowels silent? Or is Wadden misspelled (I know we aren't supposed to call attention to typos)? Kind of fun to fly over them on Google Earth. They do look pretty flat - as the name indicates.

To get back to the topic ............. how do you pronounce Wadden? As in the former UCLA basketball coach's name? Or as in a very shallow pool? Or is the W really a V? Are the vowels silent? Or is Wadden misspelled (I know we aren't supposed to call attention to typos)? Kind of fun to fly over them on Google Earth. They do look pretty flat - as the name indicates.

It's one of those Dutch ones kinda hard to pronounce for English speakers just like Zuiderdam. Closest one would be similar to Coach Wooden but pronouced Waahden (it is spelled correctly) If you're ever in Holland, they're worth a visit. There is a direct ferry service between the home of the Dutch Navy, Den Helder and the largest island, Texel

Err....hmmmm! :rolleyes:the heading does say "Provinces and Cities":D
:D My spelling sucks, I know that. I never learned to type either. I obviously do not comprehend all the niceties and protocol of these boards....Originally, before my first of 14 visits to the Netherlands, I referred to them as "Holland"...Unlike sail7seas, I was corrected by locals and given a very polite explanation of the difference between Holland and the Netherlands...I merely meant to pass that on but apparently a few posters had their wrappings come appart. Sorry about that...I shall wrap up a litte tighter myself and give my index finger a rest !!!:D I need to find my bottle of Bombay now.....Or is it Genever ????[spelling check?]:D Rob...

Hey AWED23/Rob, don't get all exited! This is not about spelling (I should know, I make enough spelling errors) This is about putting correct info out!

There is no province in The Netherlands known as Holland, period! There are two provinces, one called Noord Holland and one called Zuid Holland.

"Holland", although not official, is an accepted name to refer to the country, officially known as The Netherlands. When you use the term "The Nederland", you are using a combination of an English and a Dutch word. "Nederland" is the name the Dutch use to describe their country. I appreciate your 14 visits to my original home country where I spent the first eighteen years of my life as a Dutch citizen. Although by no means perfect, it's a great place to visit and/or live in. Don't worry, be happy!:)

BTW, it's Jenever in Dutch!

Hey AWED23/Rob, don't get all exited! This is not about spelling (I should know, I make enough spelling errors) This is about putting correct info out!

There is no province in The Netherlands known as Holland, period! There are two provinces, one called Noord Holland and one called Zuid Holland.

"Holland", although not official, is an accepted name to refer to the country, officially known as The Netherlands. When you use the term "The Nederland", you are using a combination of an English and a Dutch word. "Nederland" is the name the Dutch use to describe their country. I appreciate your 14 visits to my original home country where I spent the first eighteen years of my life as a Dutch citizen. Although by no means perfect, it's a great place to visit and/or live in. Don't worry, be happy!:)

BTW, it's Jenever in Dutch!

I agree (of course) with John. In a very short way....in the old days, roughly between 1076 and 1579 there was a "graafschap" - (County?) - with the name Holland.After that it became a province of the Republic of the 7 United Nederlands.

By 1815 it became a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Nowadays there are still 2 provinces Noord and Zuid Holland, but the "old " name Holland is still often used by tourists.

And about jenever, there are 2 version, jonge and oude, old and young.

Young is less sharp and also used in "mixdrinks".

Archived