How do you pronounce HAL

magictam

The heck with the majority - let's do it the way we want to - since I always use "dom", that's obviously :D the correct way. Oh, and if you're from northern California, San Francisco is usually just called "the city". Nancy

Yep, really irks my friends in Oakland & San Jose!

;)

.... Oh, and if you're from northern California, San Francisco is usually just called "the city". Nancy

Yep, really irks my friends in Oakland & San Jose! ;)

Not me. I commonly tell people that I live in Oakland but work in the City, so there you are. :D To me, Oakland and San Jose are cities, sure, but only San Francisco is the City.

And it never occurred to me to say HAL any other way than like the name of the computer in the movie. If an acronym is spelled exactly like an actual word or name, why pronounce it differently? But I have been impressed with the creativity on this thread.

Strictly speaking it should be dom as in Dominick ... and strictly speaking the ships should be called Vain-dom, Foal-en-dom, Om-ster-dom, (and the car should be Folks-voggen), etc ... But hardly anyone except the crew ever pronouces them that way. Do you want to be correct, or in the majority? :D

Actually John, Volkswagen is a German car and even if the Dutch (or Netherlanders) pronounce it "Folks-voggen" the Germans would pronounce it (for the most part anyway) "Folks-vahgen.

If you have noticed the Dutch, like the English-speaking nations, pronounce W as W whereas the Germans and the French pronounce W as V.

Since my last name, which is Dutch by the way, starts with a W I have to constantly remind people that my husband's family were from Holland, not Germany;) .

Valerie:)

Saying "dom" is great for English speakers. The Dutch say "dahm" as in "darn" with an "m" in the end as opposed to the "rn". Some Dutch words are hard to pronounce, no doubt - Dutch is not an easy language to learn!;)

Yep, really irks my friends in Oakland & San Jose!

;)

Hey Dave, OT of course, but the good news is (as I'm sure you've heard) that Lord Stanley's cup is finally in Calif. The bad news is it's not in your or my city:(

Hey Dave, OT of course, but the good news is (as I'm sure you've heard) that Lord Stanley's cup is finally in Calif. The bad news is it's not in your or my city:(

Ah John: but it is a lot closer to both your city and my city - YESSSS! I am a huge ice-hockey fan and was one of the charter members of "The Kings' Court Fan Club" waaaay back when. I fell in love with "the game" when my Dad treated me to a ticket to a Detroit Redwings/Los Angeles Kings' game back in the last century. Oh man, it was love at first sight, even if the Redwings won - oh yeah like The Kings had a chance;) .

Who would have thunk that a team called "The Ducks" would take home the trophy? Congratulations to them - I couldn't be happier (especially since my favourites, "The Kings", never came close, not even with Wayne Gretzke's help);).

Valerie:)

p.s. Since my introduction to the game was truly back in the last century I got to see some true legends play - even got to meet a lot of them and their families and that was a ton of fun.:)

Valerie

Who would have thunk that a team called "The Ducks" would take home the trophy? Congratulations to them - I couldn't be happier (especially since my favourites, "The Kings", never came close, not even with Wayne Gretzke's help);).

How close is "close"? I thought they came close back in '93.

I was on a land-tour in the Yukon Territory when we stopped for the night in an outpost. DH and I headed into the bar and started to enjoy the game between the Kings and Montreal. I was rooting for the US team out loud when I thought better of it---Montreal's country, and all. The locals all reassured me that I was fine---they were Gretzky fans first!

Anyway, this was early June, so had to be the finals. Never knew who won the series that year.

We now return you to today's phonics lesson.

Yep, and those Ducks aren't likely to let us forget it, either. Still, it was nice to see Teemu (who has played for all three teams) finally get his name on the big prize....

Valerie: Is there still a team in San Diego (was it the Gulls?)

It is like chalk on a blackboard to my ears when I hear someone say, (when referencing the cruise line)......."I called Holland today......."

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. :)

I feel the same way when someone says I called "Seattle" today...Seattle is a city...Holland America Line is a cruise line!

Yep, and those Ducks aren't likely to let us forget it, either. Still, it was nice to see Teemu (who has played for all three teams) finally get his name on the big prize....

Valerie: Is there still a team in San Diego (was it the Gulls?)

OT, sorry

Dave, you didn't mean the Kings did ya? Teemu never played for them;) Agree though, nice to see him get the cup - he got real emotional

After the lockout in 2004, the San Diego Gulls became the ECHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche. In June, 2006, the team folded and released their players as free agents. Ironically, the Long Beach Ice Dogs (the former Gulls team until 1995) have suspended operations at the end the 2006-2007 season and their status will be determined after the June meeting of the ECHL Board of Governors.

OT, sorry

Dave, you didn't mean the Kings did ya? Teemu never played for them;) Agree though, nice to see him get the cup - he got real emotional

After the lockout in 2004, the San Diego Gulls became the ECHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche. In June, 2006, the team folded and released their players as free agents. Ironically, the Long Beach Ice Dogs (the former Gulls team until 1995) have suspended operations at the end the 2006-2007 season and their status will be determined after the June meeting of the ECHL Board of Governors.

Teemu never stopped off in LA? Too bad, that means I can't think of anyone who played for all 3 California teams.

I wouldn't mind having a minor league team up here, though. We had season tix in Austin (for the Ice Bats, WPHL and CHL) - for what I paid for lower reserved there I can't even get a seat at the bar across the street from the arena in San Jose - and they're raising prices next season!

Archived