Status of Paul Gauguin?

I am not going to sanitize what I receive in the way of information from my position in the industry or otherwise through good contacts. I think it is interesting/important/frustrating to see what goes on from this end of the travel world...and to get feed back from the consumer side. It makes for (hopefully) a better product all around.

Basically when I hear from sources the decision is X, but don't say it is X or it isn't public yet, I don't believe there is anything wrong with saying something is going to be said. (Unfortunately, I can't say whether my prior information stands correct or incorrect because if I did I would be making the announcment...which is not my entitlement.)

And, if I say something "is" sold I mean it is sold. If I say "I think" or "possibly" I am, like every other poster, discussing. It really isn't that hard and if the words are read as they are written, then it is pretty easy. And regardless of the few that actually post (as opposed to lurk), I receive a good bit of nice email for providing the insight and questioning things. So, a few can jump on me, but so be it. Flames are nothing new, but should not be.

And, as is repeated frequently on some other boards, if you don't want to read what a poster writes, just don't read it.

So, if you read my words of today you will understand what I have said.

Kindly explain how getting feedback from consumers regarding the sale of Regent is going to make for a better product:confused:

This has gone way off topic. I am sorry that a few posters don't like some of my posts or the frustration caused by cruise lines (not just Regent) giving TAs a bit of "secret" info which may or may not be true or conflicts with other "secret" info.

TC2, input and reactions from past guests and potential ones in large part drive what future plans are. TAs input and comments regarding same are also considered...among other factors. Hopefully that will suffice as it is well and truly off-topic.

To highlight the amount of confusion and guessing going on, my travel agent who books a lot of cruises on Regent, states that the extension of the PG contract is a sure bet according to her sources. She further states that Mark Conroy has mentioned in meetings with travel agents that Regent is seriously considering building a new ship(s). On the other hand, your sources (who I am sure are honorable and decent people) say that the PG/Regent relationship is drawing to a close and that Regent may be up for sale. The whole point is that unless you are Mark Conroy or a senior executive with Regent, any comment at this point is purely speculative and certainly subject to change. That is simply the nature of business.

In the words of Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!"

A couple of points:

1. There is a long way from "seriously considering" to "negotiating" to "contracting" to "delivery". At the present state of availability/backlog -as was discussed at length at the major industry conference in March, there is basically no way a new ship could be delivered before 2010 if a contract was signed today. There just isn't the capacity. Cruise lines are looking to superyacht yards for possible smaller ship building, but the superyacht industry was - at the same conference - hoping there was extra capacity in the ship building yards...as there is a 3+ year backlog there to. In short, the comment is what I call "Conversation while dancing." It is nice, but not terribly relevant.

2. "Sure Bet"?! That doesn't sound definite, I have heard conflicting "definite" information from different sources within Regent's upper tiers; both of very recent vintage. Just like I heard about the QE2 staying with Cunard from its president, the comments are nice, but not necessarily the most accurate. (Boy would I have lost money on that "sure bet".) I think the only accurate information is that an announcement should be forthcoming. (Sorry for my skepticism, but if the information is so muddled, it's hard to believe any source...even your TA.)

3. As Regent being for sale, my sources are extremely reliable, but not within Regent. Without rehashing things, my observations as to huge increase in marketing, depletion of ships (PG aside as that is a charter and doesn't add much long term value, if any), cuts in staff, significant price increases, etc. lead me (my opinion) to believe it is a way to make the bottom line now and in the future to possibly appear more attractive and as a "luxury" vs. "upscale" line...placing it in a rarefied world rather than with the Oceania, Azamara, Crystal, etc. group. (It does not address, however, the unique problems with each of its ships, which also affect is marketability...probably more than the voluminous brochures and change to liquor inclusive.)

In short, my opinions are based upon more than "a TA told me"...and you are free to place my comments (which are based on more than a conversation here or there) in the same category if you wish...or not.

It does seem that the fate of the PG is entirely in the hands of GCT. As someone said earlier, it's too bad that this beautiful ship is owned by a company with hundreds of complaints against them from their customers. I checked out GCT's website and was shocked at how big they have become since leaving the U.S. and focusing on the U.K -- it was apparently a good move for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on two btb cruises on the PG in July/August of 2005, and I think one of us was on the wrong ship. I agree the PG is a notch below the Mariner or Voyager, but remember where you are going. It is a smaller ship, with less room in the cabin, the food is not as fancy, but the crew is fantastic, I don't think demoralized at all.

For what it may be worth, if the PG is a notch below the mariner and Voyager, it is only because staterooms and balconies are smaller. And, it must be noted that it is priced several notches below those two ships.Service, food, activities, and evtertainment are all on a par with those ships -- or above it.

Eric, please keep posting any info that you may come across..........I appreciate any source of information and from any TA on these boards. In fact I coundn't imagine CC without TA input. I've gained such great info and help from CC members that happen to be TA's from several boards......not just Regent over the years. I also think we are all intelligent enough to discern for ourselves what's speculation and what's fact.

Pat

Thanks Pat!:)

If I could do something to straighten out the conflicting information given to me from two or more "reliable" sources I most certainly would. As I said, I am not Regent's marketing department, so I can only conjecture on why there is no definitive press release. When I get it, I will give it.

All this remids me of a time not long ago when another TA (Jancruz, I think) posted that we should expect some "big changes" at RSSC (then Radisson). This dres a lot of replys like "Oh, yeah, sure." Well, shortly thereafter, RSSC underwent a large change in management. Then the name was changed to Regent, the SSS Society rules were changed, and the line went all beverage inclusive. So that TA's prediction proved spot on.

Apparently there are some written or unwritten ethical rules for TAs governing how much information that they receive they are allowed to give out. Sounds reasonable. There are such rules for attorneys. But any information as to the future of a line or a ship is helpful -- especially as cruise lines are very "tight lipped" about such things. It is helpful even though the information may only be that the "status is in flux". It gives a "heads up" to us that if we want to take a favorite line or ship as it was, we'd better think about booking quickly.

Archived