Status of Paul Gauguin?

Thank you Doctor! for the endorsement of this cruise destination! No, I don't think the lack of water will bother me, there's Rangiroa before, and Taha'a after, so who can complain?

As for Fatu Hiva, what makes you think there are two stops? The itinerary lists only Omo'a, so if the stops are more complex than advertised, can you explain?

TracyB:

Check the posts again. The PG got a little "tired" looking for a while, but all is now in great shape. Look at some of the older threads about "PG vs. Princess" before you decide to opt for Princess. There are a lot of god things that go along with a PG cruise that are just missing on Princess. Too many to list here, so do some research.You'll thank me later!:)

Thanks so much for the info.

I have done so much research as I have been trying to do this for some time.

It will be really nice not to be nickeled and dimed to death. Plus we are divers and I understand they have a dive master on board.

So looks like its the PG for us.

Thanks again all.

Tracey

Wendy, KAOHA!

Glad to hear that you are booked!!! We were on the Marquesas cruise November 2005 and it was absolutely amazing, so much so that we haven't stopped talking about the trip and as stated, have booked a return in December 2008.

The village of Omoa is not to be believed. The entire village turns out and the children line the lanes of the village to welcome you (and also to bid farewell). It is one of the most memorable expericences of our lifetime.

Atuona and Taiohae were incredible as well. The dancing, the carvings, the seed jewlery, and the absolute beauty of these remote islands made the trip one of a kind. It is not just about the ports though.......we cruised along the majestic coastlines and saw double rainbows, gigantic mantas, mountain goats and wild horses grazing, huge flocks of sea birds.....truly "sauvage".

The lanuage, singing, and dancing is different from what you see and hear in the Societies.....and equally as mesmorizing (sp?). The lectures are great according to my husband. The sunsets and star gazing are out of this world according to us both!

Not to worry about time in the water....the PG loooks after your needs with stops in Rangi, Bora, Taaha, and Moorea. Nothing can compare to this itinerary in our opinion.

Be there or be square! (Perhaps we should start a new thread on this topic........ Good suggestion.)

My TA reminded me that the PG was designed for FP specifically so while they might want to pull it out of FP the shallow draft would make it rocky in other waters. At least that is what she said.

I know that even on our trip, which wasn't bad to me at all, some folks, a small number but vocal, complained about movement. (I think that this might also be a factor in the up sizing of ships; bigger ships = less movement in general.)

Could they retrofit? Sound like that might be too expensive but if they can stretch other ships who knows?

The size of the ship is not what makes it more stable in the water. The draft of the ship (how deep she sits in the water) is what determines it. However too deep and you encounter berthing issues (such as QE2 QM2). The trick is finding a happy medium between the two. PG was built to allow access to areas that other ships such as Tahitian Princess can not go. Lengthening the ship would have no effect on stability and increasing the draft would prevent the ship from entering the areas it currently does (and would not be cost effective). It is more likely that the ship would be repositioned to an area of the world with similar features.

As for the ship staying with Regent. Although I don't know the date the change over will happen I can tell you it will happen at some point. When I joined the PG, only the captain worked for GCT, every other crew member was employed by Regent (well the agency that recruits for Regent). Shortly after I left, all of Deck & Engine's contracts moved over to GCT. Hotel department is still supplied by Regent. So now [Regent] deck & engine cannot work on PG anymore, so they are rotated between the other three ships.

I see this change as the beginning of the end of Regent on the PG. I can't see Regent being there after 2008 that is however merely my opinion.

FYI, while what the Admiral says about stability is sort of true, the reality is that the hull's shape and the type and efficiency of stabilizers play very important roles in stability.

The PG, as I understand it, has more of a rounded bottom, which leads it to roll (side-to-side). If the hull form was not as rounded there would be less rolling. Also, stabilizers are intended to suppress the side-to-side rolling and the PG is not -again as I understand it - equipped too well in that regard. Better stabilizers can be installed though it is not always an easy task. If the hull form was not as rounded, the stabilizers would not be as critical. Either way, the PG will never be the most comfortable cruising ship.

As for the status of the deck and engineering crew, it does sound ominous.

Wendy:

Can't offer any explanation as to why or whether future cruises offer only one stop on Fatu Hiva. On the March 2007 cruise, we had two stops scheduled for the same day. (It's only about a 45-minute cruise between locales.)

They lowered tenders at Omo'a and did a lot of driving around, back and forth, and talking on their walkie-talkies before the Captain finally came onto the PA and announced that we would blow off that landing due to rough seas at the dock and proceed directly to the more-protected landing at Hana Vave.

All the vendors and performers who had lined the landing at Omo'a jumped into boats (which they seemed to have no problem doing) with their wares and raced ahead of the ship to the next stop, where there is no "town" to speak of and where they would not ordinarily have been. They were ready and waiting when we came ashore.

For the record, we agree wholeheartedly with Vaitape's assessment above. I just don't write quite as exuberantly.

We had heard when we were on in 2005 (the infamous Pip), that the ship's crew were transitioning to working for GCT (not the hotel staff). Horatio, when did this actually happen? The buzz at the time was they would be paid less, and work longer contract periods.

January 1, 2007 every crew member of deck & engine had to transfer over to GCT.

The contracts signed are for the same monetary remuneration. Some have even been increased to offer incentives to retain crew. I opted out as I like the othr ships too much and signing would have meant only being able to sail PG.

As for hull info, I should have said that shape of the hull is also a factor but that fact was so obvious to me I didn't mention it and I understand that might not be obvious to others reading here.

Wendy:

We have cruised the PG in the "lowly" picture window suites on Deck 4, and also have cruised her with a balcony. This is one ship and itinerary where we feel we don't need a balcony. And we actually like the Deck 4 location -- near to reception, excursion desk, and all.

Thanks,

Richard

I just returned from a cruise on the TP and now I want to go on the PG.....just hope I can do that while it's still a positive experience!!!! In my opinion.....the TP was in need of an update and refurbishing and was a little disappointing. Fortunately the destination is spectacular!!!!

All that ship motion is due to the percentage of honeymooners on board. We single passengers that take the lowest deck do not impact the stability. rather than modify the hull, just put single beds in every cabin, things will smooth out very quickly. Gee, I hope everyone knows I am kidding.

I look forward to my cruise Dec 1st, and if she rocks.....too much...they can bring the Cosmos to the cabin.

By the way, are the tiki statues still in the cabins in their little niche just within the doorway? On my previous cruise I put offereings there in the way of chocolate....the seas remains calm the entire trip.

Tom

Very funny, RMS!:)

Bottom line, it appears that there is no firm and reliable information on the fate and future of the PG. So if you have been wanting to cruise her but have been putting it off, don't put it off beyond '08, just to be sure.

One factor that has not been mentioned is that the PG doesn't fit Regent's current standards for such things as "all suites", "all or mostly balconies", and passenger to space ratios in the 70's. And the PG has been in service for about 11 years, which is a long time for a ship to be in "first class" service, which the PG mostly has. (That may be why Regent didn't buy it and let GCT do so, but this is just speculation.)

When we were recently on Silverseas Silver Cloud, I couldn't help but speculate how a ship like that would be a great PG replacement. 290 guests max, it is more or less a scaled-down version of the Mariner, and the suites are very much like the Mariner's. While similar in the number of guests, the Silver Cloud has more gross tonnage due in part to the all-suite configuaration, giving it a passenger to space ratio in the 70's like Regent seems to want. Don't take this as a rumor-starter, as I'm sure the Cloud isn't for sale. I'm merely giving an opinion that a ship LIKE THAT would be a great PG replacement.

And other factor is that if Regent were to part company with the PG, there would be an outcry from Regent regulars for a replacement on that itinerary that would make things like the customer "push" for all-inclusive a few years back seem small! Al we customers can do is to remind Regent, at every opportunity, how much we want to see them continue the PG's itineraries with SOME ship.

I have heard new grumblings as to PG/Regent's future. I can't figure out why there are no announcements either way, but it seems the cruise lines are keeping everything much closer to their vests of late.

Not implying a sale is even contemplated, but Cunard was just speaking of keeping the QE2 around for a while, bringing her up to SOLAS standards and then...it's sold. Possibly Regent is keeping things close to its vest to see what other lines are contemplating or moving into Tahiti...or they are working a deal...or ???

....or pehaps pigs are starting to fly?! Come on Eric, it seems as though your speculation is only intended to stir up doubts and concerns with Regent cruisers. Why not just admit that you do not have any more of an inside track than anyone else on Cruise Critic? Your speculation is no more informative than silly gossip. I do not begrudge your right to state your opinion, but it concerns me that people look to these boards for factual information and some folks may opt to cancel their cruise plans based on inuendo and that is harmful.

By the way, I have a great inside source that has confirmed that Regent is buying Seaborn and Crystal and moving all of the ships into French Polynesia! :)

Let's not be so skeptical. I don't so or say anything just to stir people up. (Why so personal?:confused: ).

I have just heard some grumblings from the inside, but I have also been told that a decision was made as to not publishing it. Unfortunately, if I say more I am essentially publishing the info...good or bad.

Should I just say nothing ,or should I say, "Stay Tuned. I think something will be said sooner than later"?

I am also curious about various lines, not just Regent, holding more and more information back. Seabourn held back the info that steel had already been cut (while the CC forum had people speculating the ships would not be built). Celebrity has just opened bookings for its Solstice, but hasn't released much information about its amenities...or even the various categories of cabins. Then there is Cunard's announcement yesterday. I believe designed hold back of information is worthy of comment...and that speculating and reporting conflicting info may be an amusement, but frankly is more frustrating than productive.

I am buying Regent, Seabourn and Silver Seas. Once the check is signed, I am going to hire Joe farcus to completely redecorate each ship. Tacky tacky tacky will be the style. Materials to be used...formica in 1970's colors, blinking lights, and shag carpeting. The galleys will be removed and replaced with micro waves...the space regained will be for more cabins with bunk beds to max out passengers. The main goal is to make Easy Cruise look luxurious in comparison. May offer clothing optional dining rooms......and thus eliminate the need for entertainment. LOL

Per diem rates will be $15 US per night if you bring your own food on board. Hot plates available in the cabin for a fee.

Exterior paint jobs will be purple hulls and chartruese super structure with a red pin stripe.

Any suggestions on what to call this new line...????

Yes I need a vacation...the PG in Dec cant get here fast enough......

Common, guys, I think Boatman is expressing honest confusion about the status of the PG (and other ships, too). As to the PG, here is my serious guess and speculation.

First, the PG no longer fits Regent's "model" for ship lay-out, as it lacks Regent's "trademark" suite arraingment, and a few other things. Becuse of this, Regent didn't buy it a few years back, and unfortunately GCT bought it. This has placed Regent in a "partnership" operation with a company with a business philosoply much different (and inferior) to its own. Not a good match! Then the PG is 11 years old. Ever try to keep an eleven year old car maintained? And the PG would have to be replaced with another shallow draft ship. These are the negatives.

On the other hand, Regent well knows that the PG is a unique and highly popular cruise. They know that many repeat customers get their introduction to Regent via a PG cruise. It would be financial suicide for Regent to loose the PG and not replace her. These are the positives.

Bottom line, I usupect Regent is going through a period of confusion as to what to do about the PG, and its itinerary.

First, perhaps I should buy Regent and have it depart from West Coast instead of the East. . . Okay -- not funny!

Eric, I think the reason people get upset is because you have announced on the CruiseCritic boards that you receive a lot of insider information (from your business and/or businesses) and that your information is accurate. So, when you make statements about the sale of a ship or cruise line, I think you know that it will cause concern and possible "flames" on the board.

Most people on the boards "hear" or "read" things and bring up questions that members try to answer to the best of their ability. It is interesting to speculate and have differing opinions. It took me a couple of years to understand the intracacies of the ownership of the PG (which, as you know, Regent has never owned). . . in fact, we are still learning who owns what in terms of Regent. So, in the midst of thousands of posts, when an self-proclaimed expert on the situation states with some certainty that Regent is being sold, there seems little reason to discuss it further.

This really isn't personal -- your input regarding ports, excursions and other experiences that you or your customers have is truly interesting.

Obviously, all of this is just my opinion -- just as I find it hard to believe that Regent is selling it's 2 3/4 ships (pod still being built for the Mariner so it counts as less than a whole ship;) ).

Back to the subject of the PG, my belief that Regent wants to continue managing it but that GCT wants to manage it's own ship remains the same........but then, these are just opinions based on stuff I've heard or read. . .

I am not going to sanitize what I receive in the way of information from my position in the industry or otherwise through good contacts. I think it is interesting/important/frustrating to see what goes on from this end of the travel world...and to get feed back from the consumer side. It makes for (hopefully) a better product all around.

Basically when I hear from sources the decision is X, but don't say it is X or it isn't public yet, I don't believe there is anything wrong with saying something is going to be said. (Unfortunately, I can't say whether my prior information stands correct or incorrect because if I did I would be making the announcment...which is not my entitlement.)

And, if I say something "is" sold I mean it is sold. If I say "I think" or "possibly" I am, like every other poster, discussing. It really isn't that hard and if the words are read as they are written, then it is pretty easy. And regardless of the few that actually post (as opposed to lurk), I receive a good bit of nice email for providing the insight and questioning things. So, a few can jump on me, but so be it. Flames are nothing new, but should not be.

And, as is repeated frequently on some other boards, if you don't want to read what a poster writes, just don't read it.

So, if you read my words of today you will understand what I have said.

Boatman:

I think you have every right to post everything that you know -- that you are free to say. At the very least, it gives those who have been wanting to take the PG but have been putting it off incentave to book her before the end of '08.

Do you know if Regent has any thoughts about replacing the PG with another ship? It would seem foolish if they don't, due to its popularity.

The best I can say is "Have a little bit of patience." I don't know when the announcement is going to be made, but I have been told a decision is in place.

What I can say - and don't take it either way - is that it does not involve another ship for Regent.

Eric, I am not sure why my comments so offended you, it was meant to be somewhat humourous and to point out that at this point all of the speculation is just that..speculation. I hardly think that they rise to the level of a personal flame. That being said, please accept my apologies if I upset you in any way.

To highlight the amount of confusion and guessing going on, my travel agent who books a lot of cruises on Regent, states that the extension of the PG contract is a sure bet according to her sources. She further states that Mark Conroy has mentioned in meetings with travel agents that Regent is seriously considering building a new ship(s). On the other hand, your sources (who I am sure are honorable and decent people) say that the PG/Regent relationship is drawing to a close and that Regent may be up for sale. The whole point is that unless you are Mark Conroy or a senior executive with Regent, any comment at this point is purely speculative and certainly subject to change. That is simply the nature of business.

In the words of Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!"

Archived