Status of Paul Gauguin?

I think that it is safe to say that very few folks (outside of senior management at Regent and Grand Circle) who really know PG's fate after 2008. The officers on the ship state that they are getting close to a 2-year extension with Grand Circle (the ship's owner). Some people on these boards state that their sources state differently. There have been rumors that Regent is looking to sell their cruise business. Ironically, there have been just as many rumors that Regent is looking to expand their cruise business and may be shopping for a new ship. Bottom line is that Regent is a business and like any business they are probably always evaluating the various options. I can confirm one rumor, if I ever win a major lottery I am going to buy the PG and keep it in French Polynesia forever as my personal home! :)

Just make sure I get to go this December even if you purchase the ship. It will be my second time on this ship...and this time its longer than 7 days!!!!!

Cant wait to get back to heaven on earth....hope this time I can get some water skiing in off the platform.

Regent makes this single guy feel welcome, even among all the married and honeymoon couples. I hope they continue in business...they are great!

I have heard from Regent that the PG is definitely leaving after 2008, but it was not from the top executives. I have also heard that the PG is going to be leaving Tahiti after 2008.

That said, the cruise industry is notorious for keeping "good news" secret for extended periods so that competitors can't easily react. For example, Celebrity hasn't announced its itineraries for its first Solstice class ship, NCL kept its Hawaii plans tightly sealed for many months. Seabourn didn't announce construction has begun on its new ships until weeks after the fact, etc.

It may well be that something "good" may be in discussing, but then again as I understand the last round of negotiations, it was more or less "This is the last time we will entertain this arrangement". Personally - and it is JMO - if the demand for PG is so high and GCT has the infrastructure and marketing abilities why does it need Regent? OTOH, if there is potential to make greater profits (costs vs. fares) in another area of the world, why not do it?

Great speculation, I guess, but we will just have to see.

Well, if December 2008 is the real "end" of the Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia, I hope that the crew is not totally demoralized by that time. I am likely to book the 14-day Marquesas trip in that time-frame, partly because we can't stand thinking of not going one more time. But when we were on in 2005, the ship's crew was in a state of serious ennui about the fate of the ship, and were not happy campers. Something to think about.

I for one really hope they renew the contract! Especially with the TP gone in the summer, they should be doing very well in that market.

Perhaps as a fill in , Regent could purchase one of the small Seabourn ships (after their new build) and run it in Tahiti..it has the stern platform. I realize there are no true balconies, but it could be a fill in till something new comes along.

If not...its over to Star Clipper I guess. I have sailed all three of their ships...fun although no Regent.

I can tell you this, with authority and personal knowledge, that none of the Seabourn triplets are for sale. There is a marketing program in place to expand the market share and cruising plans of Seabourn.

Not that I would hear everything on this front, but I haven't heard about Regent seeking out new ships either. (NCL has announced the sale of the Marco Polo, but no word as to who purchased it. Hummm??????:eek: :eek: :eek: )

Has anyone read the following article? Guess I was expecting some new comers to the Tahiti market. . .

May 22, 2007, 5:01 GMT

Papeete/Hamburg - The town of Papeete on the South Pacific island of Tahiti will be the new home port of the clipper ship Star Flyer starting in December 2007, a spokesperson for Tahiti Tourism said in Hamburg.

The spokesperson, Taina Opura, said the Star Flyer - a four-masted vessel that is 110 metres long and has a sail area of 3,365 square metres - will cruise year-round in French Polynesia. Among its destinations will be the island of Bora Bora and Moorea island's Opunohu Bay.

Polynesians were sailing long before Europeans discovered the South Pacific. The white clipper ship Star Flyer, operated by the Monaco-based cruise line Star Clippers, will continue this tradition. Unlike the Polynesians' voyages of yore, sailing trips today can be booked in various cabin categories and including full board.

Internet: http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com, http://www.starclippers.com.

Yes -- the cabins are very small. Just wonder if they are entering the area because other ships plan on leaving? Just wish Regent would publically announce their plans so customers can make plans. Hopefully jobs will be available on the PG -- even if it in another location and GCT manages it (sorry -- not a fan of GCT).

I believe Regent did announce in 2006 that 2008 would be it. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure about that.

I think you're right, however, if I recall correctly, when I was on the PG in 2004, the following year was suppose to be the last year (I could be off one year). It's no wonder it is difficult to really believe them regarding the PG.

The ship seems to run pretty full -- but, it's been advertised on both websites (Regent & GCT) -- it's a great ship -- we'll miss it. Noticed that you'll be on it this summer. Is this your first time?

Yes, it will be my first time. I wanted to cruise her before she left Tahiti. (Better safe than sorry.)

BTW, the ship is also marketed through Vantage Travel, so it is branded/marketed many ways.

I think one of the biggest issues is the cost and logistics to get to Tahiti is a big distraction.

Obviously Princess thinks it can make more money and there will be higher demand elsewhere for the TP (wonder if she will be renamed?).

In an earlier press release, Princess Cruise Lines stated that the TP would be taken out of service during the repositioning to Alaska and given a name that would work in both markets (cannot remember what the new name is going to be) and that the interior decor would be reworked to also work in both markets (snow covered palm trees? snorkeling polar bears?).:)

It is my hope that Regent dumps the PG at the end of 2008 if the company is unable to run the ship at "luxury cruise" standards.

I was on the PG in July, 2005 for 14 days--two 7 day RTs back-to-back. IMO, this wasn't a luxury cruise. I had a good time. I'm glad I took the trip. I'm glad I booked BTB. The itinerary was magnificent. And there were some great touches added by Regent: #1 the motu day, #2 the Gauguines, #3 the Bora Bora motu, and #4 the Children of Riatea (once). The Regent crew was, as always, trying hard to please. But they were demoralized by all the sudden changes taking place and that showed. It was a great trip. But it wasn't, to me, a "luxury cruise." First, and most important to me, the food service was way way below my sense of "luxury cruise" standards. The beautiful main dining room was closed for breakfast and lunch --buffet only. For those two meals Le Grill was cramped, plain and very ordinary (only burgers etc. made to order, no steak sandwiches) and La Veranda offered only very ordinary buffet selections. The breakfast "orange juice" offered, for instance, was orange flavored water. I call that Kool Aid. We tried Le Grill once in the evening for alternative dining. It was awful. As for ambiance, we sat behind a bland, plain wind screen--no view, no atmosphere except for our wonderful dining companions. The food was served at room temperature and seemed like it had been sitting on a warming table since the middle of the afternoon. Our hostess for the evening later described the dinner as a "disaster." Our meals in the main dining room only rose to the level of pretty good on a couple of nights. The only excellence in dining we experienced was in La Veranda in the evening. It was reservations only classic French and excellent every night. Regent has since dumped the classic French for cheaper French bistro cuisine. I was also surprised to discover this highly touted ship as very plain Jane. The main dining room, though used only once a day, was beautiful. But most of everything else was blandsville. The aft main bar is too small for the ship if there is an active bar crowd. (Wonder how it is now that the ship is all inclusive.) Since we sailed, the ship has added cabins at the expense of public space and crew accommodations.

In fairness, let me add I haven't read any PG food complaints on the message boards since our trip. Had one private email from a friend who was less kind about the food quality than I have been. So it is quite possible that Regent has beefed up quality since the summer of 2005. I know the company has rotated some of their good staff on to the ship. But there is only so much they can do if the food budget to too low.

In short, I hope Regent will either stop cutting corners on the PG as they seemed to be when we were on board or bail out.

Patrick

She is not a stranger to distant lands. I sailed her out of Phuket off of Thailand and had a fabulous cruise. She is small, cabins are small but a real change from big ships...I have sailed her twin in the Caribbean out of St Marten...where the Caribbean winds let her really move at night. I also had the chance to sail the bigger sibling, the Royal Clipper in the Med out of Cannes....wonderful ship.

I think the Flyer will do great in French Polynesia...something different, and her physical appearance will fit the Islands like a picture post card. My best wishes for her future there.

As to comments on the PG not being "luxury", her design is not that luxurious compared to other ships...but the overall experience with a small number of passengers is luxury for me.

Gee, when I was a kid, luxury was air conditioning and power windows in a caddy, now this is found in the cheapest of cars on the road. Makes me wonder what is considered luxury anymore. Maybe just being able to sail on a ship, be at sea and escape from the real world....that the PG does in flying colors for me. I look forward to her in Dec. Give me a clean comfy bed, a hot shower, some comfort food and a good bartender......and the ship can be a bucket. And I have sailed some buckets....ever hear of the Regent Spirit, or the Odysseus....now those were buckets! But I had a fabulous time.

Ciao

It is my hope that Regent dumps the PG at the end of 2008 if the company is unable to run the ship at "luxury cruise" standards.

I was on the PG in July, 2005 for 14 days--two 7 day RTs back-to-back. IMO, this wasn't a luxury cruise. I had a good time. I'm glad I took the trip. I'm glad I booked BTB. The itinerary was magnificent. And there were some great touches added by Regent: #1 the motu day, #2 the Gauguines, #3 the Bora Bora motu, and #4 the Children of Riatea (once). The Regent crew was, as always, trying hard to please. But they were demoralized by all the sudden changes taking place and that showed. It was a great trip. But it wasn't, to me, a "luxury cruise." First, and most important to me, the food service was way way below my sense of "luxury cruise" standards. The beautiful main dining room was closed for breakfast and lunch --buffet only. For those two meals Le Grill was cramped, plain and very ordinary (only burgers etc. made to order, no steak sandwiches) and La Veranda offered only very ordinary buffet selections. The breakfast "orange juice" offered, for instance, was orange flavored water. I call that Kool Aid. We tried Le Grill once in the evening for alternative dining. It was awful. As for ambiance, we sat behind a bland, plain wind screen--no view, no atmosphere except for our wonderful dining companions. The food was served at room temperature and seemed like it had been sitting on a warming table since the middle of the afternoon. Our hostess for the evening later described the dinner as a "disaster." Our meals in the main dining room only rose to the level of pretty good on a couple of nights. The only excellence in dining we experienced was in La Veranda in the evening. It was reservations only classic French and excellent every night. Regent has since dumped the classic French for cheaper French bistro cuisine. I was also surprised to discover this highly touted ship as very plain Jane. The main dining room, though used only once a day, was beautiful. But most of everything else was blandsville. The aft main bar is too small for the ship if there is an active bar crowd. (Wonder how it is now that the ship is all inclusive.) Since we sailed, the ship has added cabins at the expense of public space and crew accommodations.

In fairness, let me add I haven't read any PG food complaints on the message boards since our trip. Had one private email from a friend who was less kind about the food quality than I have been. So it is quite possible that Regent has beefed up quality since the summer of 2005. I know the company has rotated some of their good staff on to the ship. But there is only so much they can do if the food budget to too low.

In short, I hope Regent will either stop cutting corners on the PG as they seemed to be when we were on board or bail out.

Patrick

Wow -- what an incredible write-up. Although this is only the second time I've read/heard a complaint about the PG, it's good that you shared your experience. A friend of ours cruised on the PG the same year (I'm pretty sure this is when Grand Circle Travel -- aka GCT purchased the PG). They gave a similiar review -- particularly of the food and the staff -- mostly due to their confusion with the shift in ownership -- even though the "management" remained the same.

Our friends heard (this is only hearsay) that Regent made it clear that they would not lower their standards and that insisted on "managing" the ship their way. (I'm sure some TA on the boards would know more detail on this).

So the almost happy ending is that the PG went through a multi-million dollar make-over and continued it's "luxury" cruises as it had prior to GCT. Sadly, GCT is supposedly insisting on taking it back -- and out of the South Pacific in 2009.

Someone -- please help me with this story:confused:

I think everyone has their own definition of luxury. While I haven't yet been (but soon will be) on the PG, I am confident it will not be nearly as luxurious as other ships marketed as luxury. Smaller cabins and missing amenities are a start. For someone expecting a Mariner/Voyager experience I can easily see the issue.

However, just as the most luxurious hotels in Tahiti/Moorea are not going to have the same level of luxury as the closest Ritz Carlton or Regent hotel, the general expectation for most (not all) is that the destination is the essence of the luxury so the lack of some of the amenities doesn't cause a "luxury letdown".

That said, I think Celebrity has it right since they market their two "new" R-ships as the separate Azamara line. They provide some distinctly different services and amenities, so trying to market them right next to the other Celebrity ships causes confusion. Here, the PG is a different kind of "luxury" cruise, but it has not been marketed as such other than to say the cabins are smaller and it is casual.

I think it is, in large part, the job of the TA to make sure the client understands the differences. If there is no TA involved it is up to the cruise line. Either way, there is no question that PG is different - which by many is seen as very positive, but by some is seen negatively; both with justification.

I was on the same b2b cruise with Island Cruiser. I also had the good fortune to be on the PG in 2000 and 2003. In 2000 it was truly luxury, all the way. By 2005 it was definitely not, mostly for the reasons stated--the staff were in the dumps because GCT was interfering, and they really did not know what their future would be. Our experience was further degraded by a large group onboard for the second week who hogged the dining rooms and made the ship's atmosphere a bit unpleasant at times. To be fair though, that meal in Le Grill was a group dinner, with a set menu, and admittedly it did not go well. But I have had other, very nice meals there, even in 2005.

I have heard lately on this forum that the PG is back on the top of its form, and I hope to experience that one more time before they pack it in.

I hope, desperately, that the PG stays in operation in French Polynesia forever. The thought of my next cruise on the PG keeps me going. (isn't that sick?). All I need for luxury is a decent creme brulee and a decent beef wellington with sauce bernaise, however.

I received a brochure through the mail from my alumni association touting a cruise in French Polynesia and I got all excited only to find it was the "Star Flyer". Based on the brochure the cost is more, the cabins smaller and with no balcony. I guess the "romance of sail" will offset those issues.

We're hoping they renew so the PG can be our choice in '09. We did the TP last November and made reservations on the Star Flyer for next August...and of course, the next logical progression would be the PG. The Star Flyer for the 7day in a Cat 2 cabin priced out right in the middle of what we paid for a Balcony on the TP & a Cat.F cabin on the PG for that time period. We just really wanted to experience both a small ship & have the sailing experience while it is available in FP. The itinerary for the Star is very similar to the PG on the 7day with overnights on Huahine, Raiatea/Tahaa, Bora Bora & Moorea. Still would like to experience that 'Touch of Class' the PG provides in the future.

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I was on the same b2b cruise with Island Cruiser. I also had the good fortune to be on the PG in 2000 and 2003. In 2000 it was truly luxury, all the way. By 2005 it was definitely not, mostly for the reasons stated--the staff were in the dumps because GCT was interfering, and they really did not know what their future would be. Our experience was further degraded by a large group onboard for the second week who hogged the dining rooms and made the ship's atmosphere a bit unpleasant at times. To be fair though, that meal in Le Grill was a group dinner, with a set menu, and admittedly it did not go well. But I have had other, very nice meals there, even in 2005.

I have heard lately on this forum that the PG is back on the top of its form, and I hope to experience that one more time before they pack it in.

Thank you for helping explain what was going on in 2005 -- although I heard about it, I wasn't there (we took our PG cruise in 2004) so my posting was only hearsay. Now, based upon questionable information being thrown around all over the boards, I even question what I was told about 2008 "absolutely" being the last year that Regent manages the PG.

It made sense that Regent wants to continue to manage it and negotiated the extension through 2008. It also makes sense that GCT wants to manage their own ship (and probably receive more profit from it). The way it was explained to me is that Regent had to talk GCT into these extensions and were told that the current one (through 2008) is the last one. Guess we won't know for sure until the 2009 itineraries come out.

:)

Archived