Anyone recently off the Crown from NYC

1stTimeRoyal

Could anyone who has recently been off the Crown in NYC help me with some of the following?

-Are the menus on the Crown still the old ones, or have the new Princess menus made their way onto the ship.

-What "themed" nights did you like and which were not good. I figured on going to Sabatini's on italian night, maybe the crowne grill on the caribbean night..although if someone here like Caribbean night maybe you could remember what they had to eat in the dining room that night.

-We have early traditional dining, table of 5. Is it a better idea to take your time, wait for the late show, or will other early diners, plus ALL the late diners, make the early show the better bet for seating?? It looks like from the Patters that I have been reading that many comedy acts have 3 shows in the explorer's lounge, if that is the case how did the crowds vary show to show? Was midnight the least busy??

Any other tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

We're on the Crown Aug 1 and anxious for answers too!:) For example, are the pastries in the Patisserie free?

It's been a while since we were on the Grand and I'm hoping we'll receive the same excellent service Princess offered then.

Can't wait for all you June and July cruisers to volunteer some interesting info!

Crown we shall be aboard, God willing, boarding this Friday 06/08/2007 AD

Could anyone who has recently been off the Crown in NYC help me with some of the following?

-Are the menus on the Crown still the old ones, or have the new Princess menus made their way onto the ship.

The new menu as well added selections are being added. The current cruise you have the VP of Food and Beverage aboard teaching as well having implemented the additions/changes. A large amount of new staff boarded recently under new contracts (750 +)

-What "themed" nights did you like and which were not good. I figured on going to Sabatini's on italian night, maybe the crowne grill on the caribbean night..although if someone here like Caribbean night maybe you could remember what they had to eat in the dining room that night.

Princess does have an Italian flair in cuisine. So not wanting that is like going into a steak house and ordering ostrich..Review the menu for each day when you board that should help in your reservations...

-We have early traditional dining, table of 5. Is it a better idea to take your time, wait for the late show, or will other early diners, plus ALL the late diners, make the early show the better bet for seating?? It looks like from the Patters that I have been reading that many comedy acts have 3 shows in the explorer's lounge, if that is the case how did the crowds vary show to show? Was midnight the least busy??

We as well like Early Tradional Dining...HOLD on to it as its worth its weight in Platinum now.. Have you ever seen a Waitlisting in Personal Choice... Also join your roll call and meet your fellow passengers there now..:cool:

Thanks

I'm interested in answers to any/all questions about Crown also. We are going in October and it is only the 2nd time we have sailed Princess. AAAA, have a FANTASTIC cruise! You want me to drive ya to Brooklyn??? I'll pick you up on the corner of Ridgewood and Maple Avenue! :D You're going to have a beautiful sailaway day! I expect a full report when you get back! Pass the "Bada Bing" on your way home and see if it was burned down with Tony and Paulie in it on Sunday. :eek:

Thanks

Not sure about whether menus are old or new, since I am not familiar with "old." We always found something good on the menu on our May 21st sailing. The 21 yo ordered the steak off the always available menu almost every night and really liked it. The rest of us were more adventurous. The only item we ordered out of 9 nights that wasn't so great was the caesar salad the last night. But it was fine the other nights. I am so thankful we had traditional dining, as this was the highlight of our cruise. Awesome wait staff, and great food!

The main themed night we thought was "ehh" was Caribbean night. Italian night was actually one of our favorites, so I wouldn't skip that for Sabatini's. The last night, which has an American theme, was probably our least favorite, even though the prime rib was good. But that is also the evening they do the baked alaska parade, so stick with the dining room if you want to see that. The baked alaska was wonderful!

Can't really help with shows, as we only went to a couple of the production numbers in the Princess Theater. We had late seating (8:15) and went to the late shows, I think usually around 10:30ish. By the time we finished eating and got to the theater, we were still able to get seats.

Pastries at the International Cafe were free, and quite good. But nothing beats the cookies. Oh, and for lunch, the panninis were delicious, I really liked the tomato/mozzarella. They are also free, along with a variety of side salads. Must less crowded than the lunch buffet.

Cyndepet...thanks for the info....My son too will probably go for the steak everynight! He's not much of an adventurer when it comes to food.

For all the time I've spent on these boards, it seems the majority vote is to skip Carribbean night.

We too have late traditional dinner at 8:15pm, so I guess if we opt to see a show it will be the 10:30 one. Glad to hear you were able to find some seats. Did you feel the need to still get there 30 minutes before the show starts?

International Cafe sounds yummy, and sounds like a great place and a great alternative for lunch on sea days. And yes, I have heard wonderful things about the cookies....I can almost smell them now...hehehe

4 weeks to go for us, leaving 7/5, and I will gather up as much info as my brain will let me and report back to all you future cruisers.

AAA....Have a wonderful cruise, looks like a sunny/hot day to leave from Brooklyn....and if you see anything floating around the Brooklyn waters

let us know if you think it might be Tony Soprano!

Crissy

We're on the Crown Aug 1 and anxious for answers too!:) For example, are the pastries in the Patisserie free?

It's been a while since we were on the Grand and I'm hoping we'll receive the same excellent service Princess offered then.

Can't wait for all you June and July cruisers to volunteer some interesting info!

Went on the Crown last August, and we are going again this August. My children said the chocolate chip cookies at the international buffet were free in the main lobby, but I think for the other pasties, there was a charge. You can get Fettuccini Alfredo or steaks are on the menu every night in the main dining rooms. I think the other cruise critics were referring to the Cariibean buffets up in the Cafe Caribe. If you go to the traditional seating, the waiters will always get you to the shows on time.

Any other info you wish to know feel fre to ask.

Beachgirl 2

Thanks for all your kind wishes Mrs.! Why not pick us uip on the Second oldest road in NJ .. (Childrens Road) Kinderkammack...

Well we are going down the PIP to the MW/GW yes probably on top George is better to get on the W Side to the BBT and then Red Hook.ahhhh its about 33 road miles to there...

Ah your in M.Roekema Village there.. ;) Sorry to say we never watch cable..Network TV Broadcast is still bst..*S* Isnt the Bada Bing a partially clad clothing place..not not a clothing store either...*S* we never saw the show only have heard about it on the radio...

Friday is calling to be nice and hot..but have you seen the degree of change in such a small area ..NJ is going to have highs in 90's/80's/ and 70's

Also VERY High Winds are expected in the Upper Hudson Valley..so if your thinking of a picnic or Wine Tasting then ....

Wish youall were going aboard too now and they had the Bon Voyage Parties as before which we did so adore..;)

I'm interested in answers to any/all questions about Crown also. We are going in October and it is only the 2nd time we have sailed Princess. AAAA, have a FANTASTIC cruise! You want me to drive ya to Brooklyn??? I'll pick you up on the corner of Ridgewood and Maple Avenue! :D You're going to have a beautiful sailaway day! I expect a full report when you get back! Pass the "Bada Bing" on your way home and see if it was burned down with Tony and Paulie in it on Sunday. :eek:

Yes so far the temperature looks likes its rising... faster than the tides..

Ah is that whats floating in the Channel there ...

At least the Meadowlands is not being earthed up ...

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful wishes...;)

AAA....Have a wonderful cruise, looks like a sunny/hot day to leave from Brooklyn....and if you see anything floating around the Brooklyn waters

let us know if you think it might be Tony Soprano!

Crissy

Went on the Crown last August, and we are going again this August. My children said the chocolate chip cookies at the international buffet were free in the main lobby, but I think for the other pasties, there was a charge. You can get Fettuccini Alfredo or steaks are on the menu every night in the main dining rooms. I think the other cruise critics were referring to the Cariibean buffets up in the Cafe Caribe. If you go to the traditional seating, the waiters will always get you to the shows on time.

Any other info you wish to know feel fre to ask.

Beachgirl 2

Thanks, Beachgirl. Guess I got confused. Somebody mentioned the pastries in the Patisserie and I assumed they were talking about the International Cafe. As long as I can get an espresso to go with the cookies I'll be happy LOL ;)

Can anyone who has recently stayed just overnight in Brooklyn area tell me what is a good hotel to stay in just prior to the cruise? I've heard Brooklyn Marriott, a new Holiday Inn Express, but people just mention them and had no experience staying there. if you have recently stayed in the cruise ship area Please tell me your experience. Thanks.:)

OK Karen - where exactly do you live that you're talking about the corner of Ridgewood and Maple Ave!!!!!! I'm only kidding about the "exactly" part - I'm sure you don't want to get that personal on here. However I will say, we might be neighbors!!!!

I'm sure Brooklyn has a lot of nice hotels but if you plan to arrive a day earlier and want to do some serious sightseeing why not stay in downtown Manhattan? The Millennium Hilton on Church Street is a nice hotel, close to the Statue of Liberty ferry, Staten Island Ferry, Stock Exchange, etc. and a short cab ride to Red Hook Terminal. Also the Marriot Financial District and the Embassy Suites come to mind as being very popular and offer great views of the river.

Archived