With Help From Emirates, Kiwis Can Fly !

Chivalrygirl

Unbelievable race !!! Race 3 will go down in history as the one of the most exciting races ever.

From what I read this morning, wind conditions are poor. We may have a long wait again or possibly no race today.

Unbelievable race !!! Race 3 will go down in history as the one of the most exciting races ever.

From what I read this morning, wind conditions are poor. We may have a long wait again or possibly no race today.

By now you will know the result :-(

Back to all square, can you believe it ?

Chivalrygirl,

Hope you got some sleep last night since there is no race today. ;)

Yes, it is all tied up. With the way both teams are sailing it could go all the way, and we could see 9 races. :eek:

I have seen a couple shots of a cruise ship in the harbor, but I don't know which one is there. What a way to see the race !

Both Silversea's Silver Whisper and The World are in Valencia for a couple of days. :)

Yep I saw the Silverseas one advertised a few months back in a magazine down here. It was hugely expensive, not to mention return airfares from here. Will not repeat what DH said when I suggested I book it for us, of course from my perspective it was very much tongue in cheek. :D Oh to be rich, eh!

Guess Team NZ rattled their cage a bit yesterday, and the protest did not result in a unanimous decision either. At the time I heard Luigi say quite clearly drop your sails without a man up the mast, and then next thing, a man was up the mast. I guess tonight might be an interesting dial-up :eek:

Val

PS. Yes thanks gizmo I had a really long and restful sleep, my word disturbed nights certainly takes its toll on "old bodies" :eek:

This is what happened. (It took 5 hours to make a decision ? :rolleyes: )

Emirates Team New Zealand filed the protest after watching television footage that showed one of the normal post-race measurement checks. The measurers asked both teams to lower their mainsails, without the assistance of a man aloft, to demonstrate compliance with ACC Rule 31.6. Emirates Team New Zealand lowered its mainsail without a man aloft, to the satisfaction of the measurers.

The Alinghi team asked the measurer who had boarded SUI 100 if they could raise a man up the mast to fix a halyard (which wouldn’t be put under tension) to the mainsail, for safety reasons, to prevent the sail from being damaged if it came down uncontrollably, and the measurer on board agreed to this request.

Alinghi bowman Pete Van Niewenhuyzen was raised to the top of the mast, fixed the halyard and held his arms out, to show that he wasn’t assisting or interfering with the process. The halyard lock was tripped, and the mainsail was lowered to the deck. At the time, the measurer was satisfied with the demonstration.

But the television footage showed Van Niewenhuyzen’s foot making contact with the mainsail as he swung around the mast with the boat rolling in the unsettled sea state. For Emirates Team New Zealand, that was enough to question whether he had interfered in the process. The team filed the protest later that afternoon, within the protest time limit.

Following a five hour hearing this morning, the five-member Jury dismissed Emirates Team New Zealand’s protest.

I received a brochure for Silverseas also. The price of the cruise was unreal. What was even worse there was an additional charge attached for the Americas Cup races.

Hope you are getting some sleep tonight. :)

cruise ship in the backgroud - great view for watching the race

[ATTACH]50055[/ATTACH]

Thats a great picture Gizmo, for those that don't recognise the ship it is The World, it was in Auckland the day we sailed in on the Statendam on 27 October last year, it is actually quite a horrid looking vessel, and outside actually looked quite dirty, I was amazed when I realised exactly what ship it was.

Can't comment on last night, just an absolute "bummer" eh!

Val

What terrible luck for NZ. I just couldn't believe all the trouble they had with the spinnakers.

If it had not been the last leg, NZ just might have caught up with Alinghi.

Me of "little faith" thinks that by tonight NZ time it will be all over, its just turning out not to be our regatta. Too tough a call to come back from 4 - 2 down!

This morning I am feeling a little bit like someone has died, its so hard to get back to sleep after such a disappointment, not for myself by for the boys and especially our boy. But hey thats life :mad:

It is not over until the "fat lady sings". :D

I almost had heart failure when NZ got within less than a half of boat length in the last leg.

It is not over until the "fat lady sings". :D

I almost had heart failure when NZ got within less than a half of boat length in the last leg.

Well I guess NZ got a bit lucky with the weather last night, maybe will break Alinghis momentum on the winning streak eh! Tonight I just look forward to uninterrupted sleep :D

I felt so bad for New Zealand. One second ! The entire race was unbelievable but the very end when the wind changed, Alinghi had problems, and NZ doing the penalty turn was a heart stopper.

Mr. Gizmo swears they should not have gotten that penalty. The TV commentators thought if NZ held off for 2 more seconds before doing the penalty turn it may have put them across the finish line before Alinghi.

I don't think we will ever see anything like this Americas Cup again.

Just heard the results :( and though not a big AC fan I heard that the crew on the winning boat were predominately kiwi's. Sooooooo, I think you won anyway. ;) Also heard that the US is already trying to recruit the kiwi's to sail for them next time. Can kiwi's fly or what!!!!!!:) :)

Yep, all over for us this time. It was a gut wrenching finale! I felt for the guys, and to see the really, really nice Grant Dalts almost in tears was too much for this kid.

We now wait with baited breath to find out what little bag of tricks Mr. Ernesto (rolling in money) Bertirelli has up his sleeve for the next regatta. The wonderful NZ government has thrown in 10 million so that Team NZ can secure their top sailors, so thats got to be a plus.

Thanks for all your great support everybody :D I have passed it all on to the team :D

Hi Chivarygirl,

I still can't get over that race. I watched parts of it again yesterday since we taped it.

Mr. Gizmo bought a new mailbox and decided he wanted to paint a sailboat on it. He did an excellent job of painting NZL 92.

If you like screen savers, Emirates Team NZ has a really cool one on their site. Lots of great pictures. :)

Hi Gizmo

Mr Gizmo disappoints me, I feel sure he should change the letter box and paint our famous buzzy bee instead. I know the guy that designed the artwork on the bulbs he is very clever. The buzzybee is a childs toy and also a NZ icon, every child at some stage has one. Made even more famous by the presentation of one when Diana and Charles brought William to NZ as an 11 month old baby and they were interviewed with William playing with his new buzzy bee :D Have an email from my nephew this morning he is home next Sunday, so its going to be great catching up with him and hearing all about the highs and lows. He mentions the last race, but as he says no point in lamenting on about what might have been. Yes, it was the race of all time thats for sure. Like we say down-under, BUGGER!

Well now the news is, bigger and faster boats with 4 more on the crew. Now that will be exciting. Still not saying where it will be sailed. Butterworth has announced he is staying with Allinghi, wonder what the incentive has been eh! If its to be Valencia 2009, if not 2010/2011, bugger muchs too long to wait.

Take care and its been fun talking to you about a great sport.

Val

Hi All:

Sorry for not being in touch the last week, but I was in Florida at Disney World with my DH and my 10 year old grandson and had no clue what was going on with the race. I was so disappointed to come home and find out that NZ had lost. What a bummer! But, we will be hearing about this AC for many years to come. Sounds like I missed some great races.

Regards,

Archived